How do you collect modern cards?

I was wondering how you collect modern pokemon cards?

Do you 1) Buy PSA 9/10 modern slabs, if they’re cheap or if theyre expensive why not 2) Buy cases of modern boosters, do not support buying PSA 9’s/10’s and think the price will magically go up for your sealed products/wonder years later why they haven’t moved much in price? 3) You put mint cards in binders?

But seriously, how are you collecting modern cards. Saying you own the whole set and they’re sitting in unopened booster boxes in the bathroom is not really collecting modern pokemon cards properly…

Ie. Hidden fates is hyped and a very popular set with many shiny artwork cards. Yet, I only know of a couple people on e4 that pursue the psa 10 set. Are they really just sitting in binders and why?

I just buy modern to open for fun. I dont really see the investment potential in them. 9 times out of 10 i would rather pay up for a card that is rarer and scarcer than something that is driven by hype. Also it sounds like youre attacking people for collecting what they like. Who cares if someone prefers sealed over opening the product. People have different tastes and that should be encouraged and not something to be ashamed of

2 Likes

That would assume most people prefer to collect sealed modern products over slabbed modern products. Some of the artwork is pretty cool in modern that should be encased in PSA. Is sealed hype > graded cards?

I collect a little sealed and modern graded slabs (which have been doing fine investmentwise as well… so I’m wondering for the folks that choose one over the other. Sure my card isn’t going up 1k-10k overnight but they’re still affordable and aren’t as vulnerable toward retrace unless it’s boosted.

I mean I’m not attacking wotc or collectors, there were lots of people that collected and graded their wotc when they were out.

As far as investmentwise, modern cards are low priced since they’re available, they won’t be cheaper later unless the collectors within the market collapse it’s price/more sellers then buyers.

I don’t think mint cards belong in binders as its more wear from tension.

It’s not good for pokemon, when people wait until a card is $100 /$300 graded before they want to collect the slabs. And collecting graded modern pokemon supports poke market economy over buying sealed products to keep sealed for years. It would seem like more buyers, the price goes up, better investment. I’m just wondering how people are collecting, esp. since wotc seems like it’s retracing little (per recent ebay sales) for the booming psa 7-9’s and the moderns are on their way up in 9/10s (well maybe 10s right now unless chase card).

Basically I just open a few packs, take out the 1 cool card if I’m lucky and shove the rest in a box of guilt where it’s too cheap to do anything productive with but yet I can’t bring myself to throw out a single card.

13 Likes

@pkmnflyingmaster, well if you own the 1st shadowless psa 9/10 I can imagine $30 cards being shoved into a box… But c’mon. There are so few that own psa 9/10 base 1sts. lol

Just did this yesterday with rebel clash. Even the Intellion V card left me kind of disappointed at wasting the 15 bucks for the blister

2 Likes

Those are in a box too :wink:

5 Likes

So you pretend once in awhile, to spend $5 on a booster, and you think you’re a serious modern collector

Noo if you could buy 90% of the shinies at $30 ea for PSA 10. You’re like no, wait until it’s $150+?

Do you support pokemon or do you support greed

Here we go again…

13 Likes

I talk about serious collector stuff, grading and collecting cute pokemon cards.

But seriously, how are you collecting modern cards? Surely it can’t be based on monetary value? Opening a booster less often then the children does not qualify you as the modern collector i’m asking about, when referring to psa 10 collector-esque folks. wtf

But if you are convinced that hoarding sealed modern products over collecting them graded is better for pokemon economy, can you explain to me.

Who are you even talking to lmao

10 Likes

I was talking to serious modern collectors.Maybe they collect psa 10 slabs.

Then you mentioned opening a booster pack and shoving it in a box…

And as the pretender, I’m talking about you, if you consider yourself a serious pokemon modern collector by collecting sealed boosters.

The ones spending 5-10k on booster boxes are business men, not collecting for fun unless they open all of them. Especially if they don’t even care to own the pokemon cards in the set in psa 10. It’s not like you bought a limited supply of cases so you can open those cases when you get older.

Keeping them locked away is good? for the pokemon economy?

@rybatony, I know people have different collecting taste. Collecting sealed products is having the palate for money over the actual pokemon cards?

Well what I like to do is buy some cards, and then I wait a bit and buy some more.

Here is the link to the comment section of Rudys Pokemon bathroom video where your comment belongs?

Pokemon is printing more product now than it ever did during WOTC era, there is more kids into pokemon now than during the WOTC era, and definitely more adults and businesses are hoarding product. In another 20 years when the next generation grow up and have disposable income I don’t see how all these hype modern sets won’t do what the WOTC sets are doing now just on a smaller scale, because more people are hoarding produc and aware of the investment potential. Most of us buy these cards because of the childhood memories and nostalgia, attached to them, I can remember the look on my sons face when they pulled a Mega Charizard, or their first Team-Up FA card…It was the same look I had on my face when I opened base set packs and pulled a holo as a kid.

3 Likes

It isn’t as fun collecting things that arent inherently rare. There is no chase for modern cards because acquiring them isnt a challenge.

People on here are smart when they collect. Would they rather buy a card that the price will increase substantially if they wait to get it, or would they choose to buy into a set that will most likely not move in price for years after releasing

It just seems like some members aren’t educated on how modern cards can be good investments to be ‘smart’ buys. There’s plenty of modern cards that are setting impressive numbers, ie. eeveelutions from hf, even the secrets. They could spend $60 and it could be $120 later.

Or they’d rather buy $750 psa x wotc card that will likely not be $1,500 in next year. If theyre buying psa 10’s that’s a more expensive investment, but it’ll probably go up in price…

Sealed products is actually the lazy way to collect, wouldn’t you agree?

@cooltrainertony, it’s smart to collect cards before they skyrocket in price…

I’ve seen Eeveelutions Umbreon Sylveons Espeon for $300-450 psa 10 recent sales

What other modern cards have you noticed going up in price a lot?

I only collect PSA 7 Unlimited Clefairy

10 Likes

@gengaranimal , they’re going to go up in price… lol probably not as fast as modern psa 9/10’s though. I like a good deal and modern 9’s/10’s are fun to collect within a smaller budget compared to wotc.

If they’re damaged though, I’ll still keep them in a binder

1 Like

Modern bulk I usually don’t keep. But I’ll throw the reverses in a binder.

Anything else like holos, GXs, full arts, I’ll put in card savers. Separate from my WOTC stuff.

2 Likes