How do you collect modern cards?

@galalyth , , Nice organization!

@galalyth,this reminds me of my HS English teacher Mr Buell. He would let us play albums in his class in off times when he wasn’t teaching since he enjoyed listening to new music us kids would bring in. BUT he refused to let any of the ACDC or Van Halen or even Smiths albums *touch* his precious Rolling Stones albums so they couldn’t “infect” them. Kind of how I feel about storing WOTC and Ex with modern. Maybe someday I’ll grow up and let my cards all mingle in harmonious disorder.

1 Like

I put heavy played-mint modern cards in my binder, period.

2 Likes

Alright @dblast, there, I’ve done my part to try and derail another one of your threads—in the spirit of the thread I’ll remind you! so I’ll step out now in case others have something of actual import to contribute. Just wanted to say Happy 4th to all us Yanks!

3 Likes

The demand is in modern raw cards, but the the modern slabs are picking up. These are real sleepers. Many have alluded to profitability wise of modern, even if they focused on sealed. As you know, sealed goes up when the card’s psa values go up… Get the slabs you chodes, then your booster boxes will go up. Unless theyre still in print, then you should still get the slabs.

But seriously happy 4th of July to everyone as well. lol

Hahaha!
That’s hilarious!

I’m flabbergasted by those that consider sub psa 9 <$1k psa graded wotc as better investment then modern slabs as psa 10. But this thread is about how you collect modern cards. I think toploaders is even > binders for keeping mintiness, if that was a concern. If you can get it into the toploader without damaging card.

This thread maybe better for price and market section.

@dblast I merged your two threads, lets try to keep everything contained in one place.

6 Likes

Cool that works.

And if I sound rude to promote modern psa10 above vintage psa 3-8, I’m just saying I see modern growth and it’s worth PSA 10 buying, for myself as well. I’m not telling you what cards to buy, you have to do your own homework, but modern is indeed a healthy investment, not just the sealed products.

If modern grows, so does the vintage as well. It’s not an either or, it should be all.

As it relates to how you guys are collecting moderns, you just psa slab the eeveelutions/zards, and kept rest in binder? Hm

I personally primarily buy the singles I want for my collection goals. I don’t collect sets, nor invest (not in modern nor vintage cards). I mostly buy the English and Japanese exclusive FA Supporters, which are all modern; each and every Pikachu and Seviper in all languages and variations; and I will buy the generation 8 Pokémon for my National Index collection maybe next year.

As for booster packs/boxes, I usually open Korean boxes, since it’s usually cheaper to buy two or three booster boxes than one single sometimes, and then I get another 299-449 additional cards and the joy of opening packs. I’ve also opened a few Thai and Chinese boxes and decks for the first few sets, and a few English Prerelease Build & Battle boxes since they have a small chance of containing glossy misprints.

With almost all my collection goals for both Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh, vintage and modern are both required to complete it. :blush:

As for your questions about binder vs graded: everything will go to the binder, except for Japanese exclusive Full Art Supporters. Those I’ve either bought graded, or are currently at PSA.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I like. I buy. If I don’t like I don’t buy. As simple as that. For modern i like Rainbow Rares, Gold Cards, and Full arts. Or anything Hidden Fates. I have missed your off the wall threads @dblast but it seems like your looking for a attack victim again :joy::joy::joy:. Now be nice Dblast before thread gets shut down again

1 Like

@quuador , hm ok, nobody questions quuador as a real collector lol. I’m glad to see you collect moderns as well! Your decision to opt graded Japanese exclusive FA supportorers speaks of your interest. Nice, thanks for sharing

@mcorey777 , no way, I don’t attack. I defend. Modern. And graded cards a bit since I started collecting those too. Those are good cards to collect(your focus), i don’t doubt you’ve made some nice investment choices as I’ve seen your binder. Pretty impressive bit of modern. Don’t you think modern PSA 10s will go up mike? Do you collect graded or not atm?

1 Like

I don’t see the the point of your thread if your planning to argue against everybody who is genuinely trying to answer your question.

4 Likes

Lol I was polite and asked further questions about collecting habits. The inputs are appreciated. I think Gary and several other market influencers have developed a graded card culture, but many in the community opt for the wotc slabbed cards, and may collect modern in binders (psa8-10), but encapsulating modern cards is pretty smart and fun.

Maybe through the depths of the e-fourism of serious collectors, some graded modern set collectors would speak up. (David persian?) I’m sure they exist and would be interesting to hear from, ie. tcagaming probably owns a few modern sets.

It’s exciting times for modern. You can review this thread in a few months and see I mentioned it early. (If the thread isn’t locked later on). Those vested interests in vintage shouldn’t be worried, it would inevitably bring those values up due to scarcity.

@dblast, why do you always pose questions to the community then not care what anyone has to say?

6 Likes

@pokehut1 , What do you mean, I reviewed the answers and even repeated what they were saying. As for you, you do well pushing your market cards. I’m letting the masses know about a different market I’m promoting: modern cards in general, in binder and in high grades.

It’s not my fault if some are thickheaded too see the reasoning and benefits of what I’m saying. I’m not attacking, I’m saying something in a different light for these collectors.

I asked how collecting sealed products over graded cards was good for the pokemon economy, and haven’t heard a response yet. Also fished for what modern cards are doing well, mentioning a few, and haven’t heard a response for that yet (and I’m sure people would love to know what’s booming in price in modern if they collect predominately wotc focused. - some threads go as far to see what kids are talking about in the playground to understand modern cards lol its corona times they aren’t talking about which tag team they like most)

Perhaps it’s too early to start talking about modern cards, or the vested interest of wotc fear money going towards modern. That isn’t the case. It’s a new market of buyers that will organically raise the popular cards in the set. Those collectors may upgrade to $300+ slabs in future and look at vintage. Some have been provided an upstart opportunity to focus on these cards before they arise in price. It’s not a bad idea to support the market (modern) that keeps the whole pokemon market going.

Those that don’t collect it, are going to be salty later.

@seeingdouble , doesn’t make sense to have a such divide between wotc and modern, they’re all pokemon cards afterall, and the good artworks deserve recognition, encapsulation, and market before 20 years later. Those that are buying modern sealed for 20 years later is because the market isn’t developed for modern graded. I see that changing.

perhaps this thread was better for monday, after the holiday weekend. Lol have a good weekend everyone.

@dblast Out of curiosity: why are you promoting modern cards? I assume you are a big fan of modern cards (as am I), but isn’t it better if others stick with their vintage preference of the WotC era, so the modern cards don’t rise in price so much for collectors like us? I personally think everyone is free to collect whatever they want to collect and makes them most happy, which for a lot of people is the nostalgic WotC era. I definitely think aspects of what you are saying is correct: current modern products will be worth a lot of money 10 years from now. But why promote it? Those that want to invest or collect modern can choose for themselves imho. And if they prefer to stick with the WotC era, then that’s also fine by me. Pokémon in general will continue to rise over the years regardless of what you buy in the long run.

Also, I collect Pikachu cards in all languages and variations. But I certainly cannot recommend anyone to do the same. It takes a lot of time, money, effort, and is never-ending. If I would have known five years ago what I know now, in that there would be 500+ new Pikachu releases in just five years time even though there were ~700 in the 18 years prior, I wouldn’t have chosen to collect Pikachu cards. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, won’t stop anytime soon, and I hope that I’m able to soon finish some of my other collections fully so I can almost entirely concentrate on Pikachu cards in the future. But since my bank account decreased instead of increased despite working full hours and having no other real expenses is a bit worrying for the future if this continues like this (no worries, I have certain rules set for myself, so it’s not like I cannot afford it - but I don’t think I’m able to keep up this fast pace for that much longer).

Everyone should collect whatever makes them most happy, since that is what collecting is all about. I honestly care less about the investment value of certain cards personally. This is my hobby, not a job to make money. I can definitely understand some people look at this differently. And even I buy sometimes with the intention to sell later on for a profit (maybe I should do so more often tbh). But I’m far from actively looking at the market to invest, nor would want to. Just collect what you enjoy, enjoy what you collect, share it with the community, and have fun doing so. Just my 2c, though. ¯\_::blush: _/¯

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

lol dlbast back at it again with the deep, hard hitting questions

2 Likes

I am close to finishing hidden fates, shining legends and unified minds.
I don’t grade them because they look better in binders and collections.
The ones I grade I don’t consider part of set.

1 Like

@quuador , I entered the modern card generations because quite frankly, because it was cheaper to acquire mintier psa 9/10’s at a lower entry price point that worked for me and that allowed me to collect more cards. I’m sure children nowadays are the same, they’d love the wotc artworks, but they’re too darn expensive.

Others have noted how modern cards are behaving like wotc 1st edition days, but I don’t anticipate a pokemon demand disappearance as it happend for wotc days, so the 10-20 year plan is likely not necessary as it’s accelerated to provide benefits to collectors in older and newer cards.

Those cards I purchased in modern sets surprised me even more so, when some of their cards value’s prices went up beyond 2-3x what I had purchased it for. Even the Glaceons I was able to acquire raw for like $11 and now they’re > $30. I see a lot of benefit for those that collect modern cards. The old and young can get along and fancy their expensive cards in modern sets, rather then expect the ‘target age group’ to develop and buy their own modern cards(but they’ll be vintage by then). That’s what it was like when Pokemon first came out, cards were $50 each for charizards and $30ish+ for blastoises, and kids and adults were buying it.

If adults bought modern cards now they would be ahead later, as if already experienced in buying cards low before they skyrocket in price, a smart move I’d say. It’s inevitable that modern’s PSA market will rise and the newer as well as the clever older folks that pick it up will benefit from. The new ‘money’ of pokemon fanatics will finish their modern sets, and their love for pokemon and newfound $ from modern success will allow them to invest deeper into more expensive and vintage cards (wotc), promoting a healthy environment for the vintage cards too. The more the elusive, ie. JP trophies will inevitably go up in price for that niche group as well.

Short answer: because it’s interesting time for modern, they’re cheap to acquire, and have great potential. I think furthering discussions about certain rising stars within the modern cards will be good for Pokemon Economy in it’s entirety.

Goal is not to pull money from vintage, but develop the newcombers excited about modern, understand value of graded cards, and they’ll likely be new money towards the vintage market, which is currently mostly adults that have outside income to support hundreds or thousands of dollar purchases as wotc commands.