What's your favorite card that tells a story?

IMO the best Pokemon cards by far are those that tell compelling stories. I tend to dislike cards that feature a Pokemon just standing there with no purpose; they are so boring! The best are definitely those that capture a unique narrative.

A real classic example of this is Shining Gyarados. Just imagine what would be running through that fisherman’s head! He is witnessing quite the surprise monstrosity:

But my personal favorite actually comes from a modern set, Cosmic Eclipse specifically. I really love that FA Pikachu. It’s a card that tells one of the most iconic scenes in all of Pokemon. For those of us who grew up on Pokemon, I think it PERFECTLY captures the imagination of one of our greatest childhood fantasies. I love this card:

What about you folks?

23 Likes

12 Likes

10 Likes

My favorite of all these is the Natu + Bouffalant one. :relieved:

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

@quuador that is an amazing post. I never knew about some of these. Thank you.

The Plusle + Minun scene melts my heart.

1 Like

You picked my favorite, I think, Red Gyarados.

@quuador posted several of mine, but if I picked some that are perhaps off the radar:

I love the creepiness of this scene. A re-pencil of Aquapolis. Great Encounters Hypno

Or this one, where snubbull is in troubull. How? Why? What next? Skyridge Snubbull

10 Likes

This is why I lurk on this forum on a daily basis, amazing and all-around positive!

3 Likes

Ah, that reminds me:

What will happen next for this poor Blizle?

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

also, i would lose credibility if i didn’t plug this winner at every opportunity

13 Likes

Ill go with these 2

6 Likes

Well sir, as you insist :blush:

Though, I will shamelessly plug my own collection post, if you want a master list (as complete as I’m aware) of all trainer cameo appearances in Pokémon art in English :blush:

8 Likes

7 Likes

A few that come straight to mind:

Why is this Jolteon caring for a Togepi? Is the Rattata another companion? Are they on a journey? Do they belong to a trainer?

The biggest question from this story is, does Oddish survive?!

And a modern tri-fecta of Mewtwo escaping captivity with the help of Mew, and going on to live a life of annoyance with the little pink fluff ball.

10 Likes

Dumped Omanyte is probably my favorite!

18 Likes

This is what happens when you take too much ketamine

8 Likes

Open to interpretation whether Chansey has just attacked Aipom or is there to help :wink:

15 Likes

Love the art from the previous cards in the background.

6 Likes

Collector Charizard.

Loving this post and idea! This is such an awesome pick-me-up compared to a lot of the other threads posted recently that have been total bummers. I’ve ALWAYS loved the more cutesy Pokemon and illustrations, and especially ones that look as though there’s a story to be told. Here are some of my favorites.

8 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes