Story Time! Post what cards are special to you & why

I am interested to hear people in this community share their story’s of cards that are special to them for whatever reason :blush:

For me it’s my Blaine’s Charizard (Corrected Version)

I got this beauty completely FREE from a Redditor i had never met showing off his collection and looking to sell a few things, I inquired about the Charizard but he didn’t feel comfortable selling it in it’s condition even after me saying a Charizard is still a Charizard! He sent it to me all the way from the USA to the UK and even included some bonus cards! Despite it being damaged it still holds a special place in my collection for this reason!

Bonus cards were a B&W Emerging Powers Holo Virizion, A 1st Edition Sabrina’s Hypno & a fire Energy signed with my quote “A Charizard is a Charizard”

12 Likes

ill always take the opportunity to share these cards:

The story of these arent that theyre old in my collection, but rather they signify my re-entry into the hobby back in early last September. With my old collection being long gone for many moons, I came back with the idea and mentality that expensive = best which slowly began to tear away at my own happiness. Then comes in these cards. I quit pokemon collecting right before e series released and had no idea that cards such as these even existed, but when I found this Azumarill the world around my preconceived ideas regarding collecting and collections slowed down drastically. This little guy here, with such bright and charismatic art, helped me to see yet again that its not about money which makes collecting fun, but rather the journey through it all which defines why were all here. Now these are easily some of my most treasured cards, and I always enjoy taking them out as much as I can.

I mean, how can you resist a little Azumarill riding in a boat? haha :blush:

14 Likes

Nice idea.

I’ll always have an attachment to Ancient Mew. I never saw Mewtwo vs. Mew, so 2000 was my first (and only) Pokemon movie. I went with a few friends and remember being so excited to receive a card with such a unique design and being even more excited when it was featured in the movie! I had no idea you’d get a card for going to see the movie–after all, this was back in the day when the Internet basically consisted of Geocities and Angelfire.

3 Likes

This is my first ever Chansey card! I used to take it with me everywhere. :blush:

13 Likes

My Lugia card that I got when I was in 3rd grade. Pokémon 2000 was just released and Lugia was an immediate favorite for me. I traded 6 gel pens for it. Like half of it was peeling when I received it so I “fixed it” with glue stick and stuck it in a dictionary overnight.

Ungradeable but has immense nostalgic value to me. Also, dat swirl tho…

9 Likes

I cant even remember the card, but I remember walking along the street and picking up a card and just got a massive wave of nostalgia , I went home and started browsing ebay for hours. So yeah,maybe a missingno

My no symbol Scyther which I always thought was a part of base set. I kept it in mint condition in my binder. Maybe I’ll grade it one day.

Secondly would be the first holo I ever pulled. My mom bought me some base set unlimited packs when I was a kid and I pulled a Chansey. I was so pumped thinking it was the best possible card with 120HP! Unfortunately I don’t know what happened to it. Still trying to scour my parents house to try and find it. Maybe one day…

Last one is my first edition base Charizard that I found on eBay last year. I was browsing eBay while in bed at night searching for newly listed cards. I couldn’t believe a Zard popped up for BIN $500 or best offer. After briefly making sure it was authentic I pulled the trigger without giving much thought to what my wife might think. Not mint by any means but a great memory to a card I thought I may not get ever.

6 Likes

I’ve lost Mr. Mine and Clefairy :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

That’s so wholesome, dizzle!

1 Like

When I was really young, my uncle babysat me because my parents would work late. I was obsessed with Pokemon, so he’d watch the anime with me and we’d play Pokemon Stadium minigames together.

He was big into sports card collecting (hockey), and knowing that I really liked Pokemon, he got me my first pack of Pokemon cards as a gift. It was a Neo Genesis pack with a Lugia on the front (he knew Lugia and Ho-oh were my favourite Pokemon), and from that pack I pulled this Slowking! It’s crazy. I can remember exactly where I was when I opened the pack, how I was feeling, the weather that day … the first pack ever being a holo had me so excited that I’ll never forget the experience.

It was my first card, but Slowking also has an interesting history. Not only was the it the fist ever print of a Slowking, it was one of the first and most controversial card bannings in the TCG due to its infamous mistranslation.

I’ve cherished this card a lot and tried to protect it as well as I could as a kid, but the condition isn’t the best. One of my long term goals is to get a really nice graded 1st edition copy with no holo scratches, but as I’ve learned from doing some research, that’ll be quite the difficult goal with neo gen’s printing quality :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll never let this one go though :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

my 2 most biggest cards will be the Pichu from expedition holo and the 1st edition base set Charizard.

back in high school my friend was always a fan of pikachu. I told him that I had some extra pikachu cards he could have just for fun and I gave him like 15 or so promo pikas and some reverse holo ones from the ex era. He asked me the same day if I wanted any cards since his older brother had some and I just told him if he has a base set charizard just give me that. Fast foward 3 days later when I saw him in school hes like here… and long behold its a nice 1st edition charzard card. I asked him are you SURE YOU WANT ME TO HAVE THIS hes like yea of course. not like my brother will be selling his cards anyways so keep it. To this day I look at it and see it as a grad 7-8 for the zard and never have taken it out of the binder I put it in. Still am friends with him and now we both play PoGo

The Pichu my best friend gave me since he knew I liked the Pikachu line. Even though I didnt see him a lot during the teen years he was still invested into the card game while I was not as much. Been friends since I was in elementary school and just like my zard the pichu sits right next to it in a nice pokemon center NYC sleeve never removed from the binder sleeve I put it in 10+ years ago.

2 Likes

My most special card would have to be my 1st edition Fossil Dragonite cards, because I have had them since I began collecting!

I had a bunch of them in a special binder from my personal childhood collection that I eventually got graded by PSA and several of them graded pretty highly. I only got one PSA 10, a few 9s and some others graded lower, but I decided to keep the 10 & one of the 9s then sold the rest. I also kept the one that I played with when I was young, as I mostly used unlimited cards in decks and such but did actually play with one 1st edition, so I kept that one as well (ungraded) since it has extra sentimental value!

I have some other highly graded cards from my personal childhood collection, but none of them quite have the sentimental value of these as they are what started it all for me. Granted I was collecting during base set, but Dragonite wasn’t released yet and it was my favorite so I wanted it even more than I wanted the Charizard!

Ah I love this post so much! The Marill line is probably my favorite in all of Pokemon. Love the Azumarill from Aqaupolis as well.

1 Like