What's your favorite card artwork? 2016 Edition

This is my favorite!!!

2 Likes

Not very original, but has to be Fossil Dragonite and/or trophy 'khan for me. And always have a soft spot for Jungle Butterfree for some reason.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! This discussion is great, but it was in a thread over three months old. Bumping those threads is against the forum rules. The old thread has been locked, but feel free to continue the discussion here!

1 Like

For 2016 ima have to go with:

7 Likes

Blaine’s moltres neo espeon and rayquaza star are my three favs, also really like the lottery Lugia and ho oh.

1 Like

This is my favourite too.

I have so many favorite artworks but I’ve noticed a trend in them, most of the artworks that I love have been illustrated mostly by Masakazu Fukuda, Kouki Saitou and Kagemaru Himeno. Many seem to be from Atsuko Nishida too. I don’t know what it is that makes me like their art style that much but those artists made a lot of art works back in the old school ex days which is my favorite era of cards by far.

Fukuda really did great job with the gold stars, Rayquaza being my favorite together with Charizard and Suicune. Another great artwork from him is the Dialga Play Promo / Majestic Dawn holo. Amazing pose together with amazing background, love it so much. His art style in general is so easy to spot as it differs a lot from others.

From Kouki Saitou I love cards like Rayquaza from ex Emerald, Salamence from ex Dragon, Flygon from Rising Rivals… Ah, for some reason these artists end up making art works of my favorite pokemon so maybe that’s why I like them that much xD

Atsuko Nishida meanwhile makes cute artwork, Gardevoir from Secret Wonders probably being my biggest favorite. I really need a PSA graded copy of that!

Apart from these artists I have random favorites from here and there, but it’s so much easier to list the artists as I adore all their work basically :blush:

2 Likes

Rayquaza Gold Star is mine!

7 Likes

Best artwork from 2016?

3 Likes

XY9 Suicune is certainly one of the coolest cards released this year.

@dragontype The quality of your scans is amazing!

2 Likes

@dragontype thanks cos I’m completely forgot to mention legend maker gengar!! Also the frlg gengar ex is an awesome looking card. Era wise I have to say the adv/pcg sets have to e my favourite, so many under appreciated holos from that era because of them being overshadowed by the new ex mechanic at the time of release.

Also @milhouse for some reason I think that golem looks derpy af haha.

2 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

Sticking with Umbreon gold star as my favorite artwork of all time, a perfect mix of simplicity and beauty. As I’ll never ever get that card, here are some of my more accessible favorites:

3 Likes

I feel we need to make this: choose a card that was released in 2016.

2 Likes

You will get that card sir… You won’t be living on your own going to uni forever… Soon you will return home and dwell in your parents basement with s cleaning job and no bills to pay, and many many golden starnens/ trophenz will be yours!!! muhahahhababab

1 Like

Where did you get those crisp images mate?

1 Like

@fourthstartcg

That Rayquaza is too wicked! Which one is it? I need that in my collection.

Honestly, I love this so much just because of how creepy it is:

5 Likes

_____'s Rayquaza PLAY Promo, illustration by Mitsuhiro Arita :blush: Fairly cheap too!

www.ebay.ca/itm/121803557975

2 Likes

Yaaaaaaasssss!!

I totally agree (don’t tell Cubone). Thank you for mentioning it.

2 Likes