What's up with the top of this card?

I was looking through my old collection and found this card with a different color on top than the rest of the border:

I was also looking into it and found the exact same card on eBay

I’m pretty sure this isn’t sun faded like this person said, but I also don’t want to label it as a misprint quite yet. Are there any ways to determine whether or not it is one?

Edit: Just to clear things up, this card and the one on eBay are NOT the same card, but they do have the same light brownish thing on top of it

1 Like

It’s sun faded man

5 Likes

Looks like silverfish damage on the top of the card as well. My guess is that it was sticking out of a book, or under something on a shelf where it got regular sun. silverfish like to nibble on paper and fabric that sticks out from flush surfaces before digging in, like grazing at a buffet.

1 Like

All right, I just wasn’t sure because the fade looks the exact same on both my card and the eBay one

It does look a bit odd that the border of fading in both cards isn’t straight but the left side has a curving downwards, it’s so similar with both of them that i don’t want to completely rule out error possibility :thinking:

It looks like sunfading but the fact it’s replicated on another card suggests it probably is an actual error

5 Likes

OH COME ON. I have/had a tiny infestation of “those who shall not be named” and i try my best not to read anything about them because they are very… creepy. Here i am on E4, trying to take my mind of the papereating spawns of Satan who might me crawling underneath my couch plotting my demise as we speak…

All jokes aside… shi*… i have a load of cards in a bottomdrawer… they better not touch my L2 unlimited rev.foil cards!

1 Like

This looks like what happens when you have a stack of cards by a window. Some of the cards are sticking out from the stack and the tops get sunfaded but the rest are preserved.

The only way to know for sure is to: 1) do a test under ultraviolet light, and 2) take a loupe to see if one of the ink colors is missing from the rosette pattern.

Oh! These are not the same card?! Sorry I misunderstood… that is strange.

Perhaps it is a printing defect… IDK about the commonality of this sort of thing, but I’m also questioning that it’s sun fading now. I’ve seen similar issues on HGSS era cards, but with 2 of the same card, it’s more likely it’s a consistent printing error.