What is 1 card you’ve always wanted but got priced out of?

2 Likes

Lost the card, gained new family :heart: uWu

5 Likes

my exact chase card as well! such awesome artwork with iconic characters – hopefully one day!

3 Likes

This is also mine. I remember when it came out unlisted leaf hyped it up and i thought 100 was expensive so i waited and then forgot about it. Now it is out of reach lol

1 Like

Definitely 1st base Charizard. I went to a card shop and saw one raw for $250 like 8 years ago. Almost did it and then decided against it. Rip.

2 Likes

Thought it would go down when it rotated out. (it didn’t)

5 Likes

Ooyama’s Tropical Mega Battle Lucky Stadium :neutral_face:

2 Likes

PSA 10 1st Ed & Shadowless Base Chansey. The 10 was always too expensive for me even when it was five hundred bucks.

This isn’t a goal of mine anymore but was for a long time. I stopped collecting max grade Chanseys in 2020 and have never been happier with my collection. Especially so owning the cards I prioritized instead of spending $50k+ on those two.

For a current goal, none. I am not a defeatist. I plan to eventually own every card I want including No. 3 Trainer old pack Pika. Heck I’d like the whole trio why not? I’d rather be delusional than depressed.

16 Likes

Your love for chansey really rubbed the_sniper the wong way

3 Likes

Me too. Feels like an unoriginal pick but a base 1st ed Charizard for me.

I’ve been trying to decide to whether to do a PSA 9 shadowless set or do 1st edition base in lower grades for the holos and just try to find clean copies. A guy at one of the card shows had a PSA 6 1st ed Zard. It was absolutely beautiful, basically pack fresh but had a tiny binder ding. I’d be very happy with something like that. Decisions decisions.

3 Likes

That’s what I’d shoot for. Take your time with it and try and find a mostly clean lower grade if it aligns better with your budget. If you can put up with a bit of extra whitening, you can save a lot in the end. I feel the 1st Ed stamp will always have the extra edge for collectors. My 5 does have a decent amount of whitening on the corners and edges, but I saw even worse on some other 5-8 grades at times.

In the end, it’s mostly a subjective thing. For me, I was all about holo condition and eye appeal. Other people are more concerned with the amount of whitening. I also wanted a Thick Stamp to go with my Blastoise and Venusaur, so that was another factor. So overall, really happy with the 5:

1 Like

Yep, see something like that would be perfect. I think a 5 is pretty harsh. Looks good, congrats!

I usually do PSA 9s for WOTC and 10s for everything else but I feel like 1st ed base is one of those situations where just owning the card is more important than the grade. So as long as I can find a clean front I’d be good with it.

1 Like

He was talking about trophy cards. Funny enough I do now own several trophy cards and stand by my 2009 comment :nail_care:

3 Likes

Funny enough I always assumed you had several 10 1st Ed base chanseys lol. But I agree with what you said. Even recently we have seen that the big bank account collections usually don’t know or care as much about the cards they have even though the cards are wild!

People usually assume I collect graded wailmers too, but honestly idk why I would bother. Like a 10 wailmer would be valuable to nobody except me, and I can view a wailmer in a top loader just as easily and buy 30x the amount of them. Obviously Chansey is a bit different being a base rookie but still

8 Likes

Many people assume this! It’s a little frustrating when they hear I don’t and believe I must be upset to not own one or must otherwise be still working towards it as the pinnacle of my collection. I am much prouder to own as one example my four holo shift Chanseys.

9 Likes

The PLAY! Umbreon and Espeon gold stars for sure. Umbreon has always been out of reach for me but i figured with time i would eventually be able to afford one but now there is no way me seeing i ever could spend that much on cards.

2 Likes

Where is that guy now? Is the_sniper still in the hobby?

1 Like

Wow crazy to see the 2016 festa up at 10k+ now. Sold my first copy in like 2018 for $125 lol :frowning:

For me it would prolly be a psa 9 1st ed zard. Could maybe squeeze one out today but Id have to sell the whole collection and that’s not happening!

3 Likes

The Silvestros? No they certainly aren’t

I am also looking to chase a PSA 10 copy :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes