What does everyone focus on when collecting if anything?

Yes! @azulryu 1000x this. It’s so easy to get sidetracked or to want to buy everything, but that’s where budgeting and discipline comes in for me.

On a more serious note, I strictly only collect:

1. Species: Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Suicune, Scizor, Inteleon, Dragapult

2. Trainers: Cynthia, Flannery, Misty, Jasmine, Sonia, Clair, Skyla, Bea

3. Japanese vintage ex-es (146/157)

4. Japanese Gold stars (25/27)

5. English Primes (29/29)

6. Modern shining (9/9)

7. Blastoise base (28)

8. Others (medals, etc.)

For the newer collectors, don’t be afraid to change the priority of things too. I stopped buying base set blastoises in June when I thought prices were too high (hahaha), and focused on my other goals like gold stars and ex-es. I am really only 11 ex-es away from completing my goals, with the rest being out of reach or the cherry on top (i.e. good to have, like snap squirtle).

1 Like

Do you go for specific grades on these or just get the cards?

Sealed, Promos, Errors, First 7 wotc sets, etc etc etc lol. And many that overlap each other in absurd ways

1 Like

Kinda all over the place but mostly determined by what value I can get them at. Last year I was finding PSA secret rares of modern sets for under $15 so I’d pick them up if the art was good, then some promos, then some ampharos and mareep cards, then full art trainers, etc, now I’m at around 200 slabs of mostly full art trainers and ampharos but have a couple like secret energies, stadiums, and the classic cd promos. Same with the decks, first it started with open decks with assorted cards for cheap, then mostly complete. Now that I have all 200+ officially released english decks www.elitefourum.com/t/my-pokemon-deck-collection-mostly-complete/29919/1, Im just looking to upgrade to sealed decks, find variant boxes, and obscure deck products when I can find them for cheaper than market price. If I had to say specifically what I look for, its sealed decks, ampharos family graded cards, full art trainers graded, slightly obscure cards (was just getting started on web series when price jumped, W stamped promos, winner stamps, classic prerelease cards graded, well established error cards, etc).

1 Like

Collecting Gardevoir and Promo Pikachus

Nice good luck :grin:

Since I am too old to be nostalgic for Pokemon, my collecting is driven by emotional triggers from a card’s artwork.

I don’t have a set goal, and just hold on to whatever cards I feel speak to my inner child or to my paternal instincts. Looking at my collection I clearly have a tendency to go for childish/mischievous/nurturing artworks.

Even though I didn’t plan it that way, my collection ends up reflecting more of my personality than it would if I was collecting sets for the sake of completion or nostalgia.

Something that wasn’t a goal but may become one if I keep going like is to have the largest PSA 10 collection of Ooyama’s Pikachus. Apparently the first one wasn’t enough so I am now at seven and counting and since those are going with me to the grave I guess I’ll make it a lifelong goal.

2 Likes

That’s amazing, great goal!

1 Like

I collect what I like, but I’ve shifted focus recently to picking a Pokemon and then getting copies of the different cards I don’t have for them, regardless of the era

1 Like

Whatever strategy you’re doing something right! You have great taste my friend!

1 Like

Nice, I’ve seen your collection thread awesome stuff! keep it up :grin:

2 Likes

Just started collecting last month thinking I would go for all old school ex’s and gold stars in PSA 9+ since that’s what I grew up with. Quickly came to realize that it was much too expensive of a goal (if only I rediscovered Pokemon even just 1 year earlier, maybe it would have been possible). So looks like I’ll just be going for all 9 ex starters, and each form of deoxys. Maybe a gold star or 2 is I still have any funds left after that.

2 Likes

Awesome man good luck! I go for exs too my favorite type of cards!

1 Like

@ankleguy Good luck on your collection goals! I first rejoined the hobby a year ago and change. When I first came back there was so many good deals on graded wotc cards. But I set my goals way too big to collect all graded cards. So I worked on my massive binder collection goals. Now that I’ve finished that I’ve been buying all graded cards. Saving up a week to two weeks or so for each one. Picking up extra shifts at work. Working on finding a second job etc.

Obviously it sucks not being able to buy a ton of cards at once like I use to. But I’ve really been enjoying adding more graded cards to my collection. I still flip thru my binders every few days. It still amazes me how many cards i put together!

Binder cards were so undervalued for the longest time. At one point I was on here laughing my ass off buying first edition near mint to mint holo’s of unpopular Pokemon for $5-$10. We’re talking bellosum, jumpluff, hitmontop etc. It was great!

1 Like

@trainerjack, great question! I never really believed in grading due to its subjectivity, and because I wouldn’t want to pay double or triple for the card in question. To me, ownership of the card is more important than owning “perfect” versions of them.

95+% of my stuff is probably ungraded.

I only have graded cards under these three categories:

1. Base set blastoises - 1st edition, shadowless error, no stage, and cheap japanese base unlimited in 8-9. I don’t own graded base unlimited blastoises in english
  2. Random pickups where the price of the graded card was similar or near to the raw card
  3. Things to sell

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks! Nice man love to hear, good luck with the rest of your collecting!

I’ve always been a whimsical collector. I generally buy what I like. More and more I find myself drawn to signed cards over anything else. The uniqueness, and the thought that particular artist touched a card im holding has always fascinated me. I’ve tried to collect sets, and I can never stay focused.

Atm i have moved from buying graded cards to raw beat up versions of what i see aa higher end set cards. Crystals gold stars etc. to me i get the same enjoyment out of a creased card in a cardsaver as i do a psa 7-8 so why bother with the premium. I dont sell so it doesnt bother me much.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good time! Good luck with getting more signed cards

1 Like

I collect Rayquaza

1 Like