What card is this?

Hi guys,

Came across this card while browsing through Japanese websites, obviously an error card. Would anyone know how it came to be, how rare it is, and what its PSA designation is if there’s any?

imgur.com/RCLMVuS

imgur.com/Yiz7trB

Thanks

pretty sure rubbing acetone on a holographic will result in the above

2 Likes

Easy to fake,don’t be fooled

1 Like

Ahahah, thanks guys.

Wouldn’t buy it but was hoping for an interesting story on how they came into existence. Sad to know it’s just unscrupulous people trying to fool buyers. :slightly_frowning_face:

www.ebay.com/itm/BLANK-HOLO-w-Yellow-Borders-TEST-Error-Misprint-EXCELLENT-Pokemon-Card-/311968990174?hash=item48a2cd03de:g:LewAAOSwtqtZy9Kb

Would that be the japanese version of this then?

That’s a totally different animal with a border. A few years ago they were faking those too though:(

2 Likes

They are much harder to fake though, because you usually see some part of the border being touched with the aceton they’ve used for the rest of the card.

I don’t have one, but I do have this Yu-Gi-Oh card where someone used a similar technique on just the description box:

As you can see at the sides of the description border, it is slightly irregular (almost a shadow at the inside), meaning this isn’t a real misprint but a custom made ‘error’ instead. How they do this without affecting the black text I don’t know, but when I asked some Yu-Gi-Oh collectors they said something along the lines of: “Try it yourself, you’d be surprised how easy it is to replicate.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Ok, that YuGiOh card looks sick, though.

2 Likes

Almost all cards with exposed holo areas can be counted on as being fake. All white or fully holo cards as well. All very easy to fake.

Except for these kinds :blush:

3 Likes

@quuador Regardless of whether it should be done, that card looks beautiful with the “custom error” :open_mouth:

1 Like

Lovely job done with the nail polish remover there …haha

Could it be that the graphics files they use for printing feature a shadow on the inside of the border? I’ve done some UI design and adding shadows like that isn’t at all uncommon to make the panel pop out a bit more, as subtle as it sometimes may be. This doesn’t look irregular to me at all. It’s a consistent shadow with consistent thickness. That, paired with the fact that the text is in excellent shape makes me think someone might have been yanking your chain.

As far as Japanese cards without print go, the only ones that I know of that have any legitimacy to it are the three blank cards that were sold some months ago (I believe by a competitor in the tcg who got them as a bonus for high placements). That same seller was selling square cut cards and other oddities, among a couple of prize cards. I have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of that seller, and he had written some webpages with info on them as well. @linkdu83 has those now.

1 Like

You could be right. Which is also why I kept it in my collection for now. I’ll take a closer look at the card when I get home from work.

But leaving the text intact but the rest intact I’ve seen before. Although you’re right, it wasn’t as clean as this one. So either someone is very skilled at making these custom cards, or it indeed is a misprint. Either way, it looks pretty cool. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador