What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

My modus operandi and eternal curse is that the thrill of opening boxes is the best thing, and then after I do it I wish I could have a sealed box again. And have the holos as well. :melting_face:

…though nowadays the box opening experience is ruined for me anyway. Even when I can afford one I’d also have to afford opening the entire thing. Opening an entire box vs weighed heavies are two very different experiences. Especially when you do what I did last time, which is pull the best holo from the first pack and then proceed to pull only mediocrity from the remaining.

3 Likes

I feel stupid for not considering doing this but that’s an excellent idea. There are a couple sealed boxes where I already have all the cards inside so maybe I should try this out! For science, of course :wink:

1 Like

The Pokémon scene of the late 90’s and early 2000’s (In my head I call it the Creation Era) are not as different from todays Modern Pokémon scene as some propose.

A Short explanation: Yes today has social media that pushed a constant hype and information flows way faster. New sets are hyped to sell more product. Product is mass produced. Its fun to open modern. There is a a constant barrage of opinions. This all creates a sometimes less than positive, darker side of the hobby. Its all relative. In the early years that darker side also existed. New sets were hyped to sell more product (though the hype took different forms and was seemed less visible, it was everywhere. And lack of info sometimes creates more rumors and hype). There was a print shortage. Then was a huge mass of printing. Its was fun to open product. There was the original flipper/scammer scene. Fake cards were around, parents and other adults stepped in and restricted kids trading, because the cards were “too valuable”. Fights broke out over product. Pokémon was even banned from schools and playgrounds. So all I am saying in this perhaps unpopular opinion is that todays modern scene doesn’t stray all that far from the Creation Era scene. Modern is over hyped, some folks are in the hobby merely to take advantage , there are STONKS and Flippers. All seems about normal to me. You get what you put in. Put in good vibes you get good vibes back.

5 Likes

Spot on.

You also had people complaining about prices. I still remember being in a mall toy store with my mom when I was nine, and a guy saw a Base Set Charizard in the display case and then consequently said to the store owner, “Fifty dollars for a CARD?” I’d like to see what he thinks of Base Set Charizard’s price now lol.

People just like to romanticize the past, but in actuality, the past really isn’t all that different from the present. What separates the two time periods is the overall exposure, as you said. Due to social media and the advancement of the Internet in general, everyone has more access to information in 2023 than they did in 1999. But that hype certainly existed two decades ago. It just wasn’t as enhanced as it is today.

3 Likes

I read this in Maxmoefoe’s voice

5 Likes

There are similarities for sure but the big difference is the amount of speculators. Modern chase cards prices today are more influenced by adults speculating than they were in the 90s.

4 Likes

I miss his Pokemon vids so much…best PokeTuber

3 Likes

I dont know. There is no book giving you secondary market values of modern sets.

Lol, I agree with you 100%, but I just wanted to post this ridiculous book that somewhat shows the speculator culture back then.

4 Likes

I agree @A.P.Speeze that is a great vintage find! I also agree modern price is driven by adult speculation. @smpratte As an example, don’t you think back in 2000 the price of Shinning Charizard was driven by adult speculation? Sure it was $50-$80 ( I couldn’t actually find a price point for 2002) , Minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. Today it’s $15. $50 Shinning then is comparable to $200 alt art now. Prices IMO driven by adult speculation, not collecting joy. I also agree today there is a heck of a lot of speculation!

1 Like

If you are talking US Federal Min Wage, then it’s $7.25 an hour. Most people make more, but there are still plenty of people that make less than $15 an hour.

1 Like

Ha ha! My State must be ahead of the curve . I’m impressed.

2 Likes

Man that book gives me heavy beanie baby vibes!

@niece Definitely! I think it’s just louder today and larger volume since all those kids are adults. I feel like the 90s speculators were more fair weather. Where now Pokémon is more a lifestyle for some people.

5 Likes
  1. i love the japanese red and green gameboy game sprites.
  2. i dont like pokemon after the first 251 (gen 1-2er)
  3. i love the old red blue green gold silver crystal games never liked the ones after.
  4. dont love modern cards
  5. dont understand what’s the big deal with everything charizard related and think there are rarer cards

thats on top of my head

9 Likes

I remember the elation I felt pulling a base Charizard in a Woolworths as an 8 year old. I was so excited, desperately looking around for my mum to show her. Needless to say, she couldn’t care less :+1:t2:

2 Likes

that is something else as it is not the charizard but the childhood memory. but the fact that base first edition zard costs more then lets say an eevee or porygon fan club is redicules imo

1 Like

My takes…

The community going nuts over most full art girl trainers is super cringe lol

DP/BW era secret rares are underrated

Cube drafting is the best way to play the game

9 Likes

Have you played heartgold or sousilver? Ive played both and I find it to be an objective upgrade from GSC

3 Likes

im just a sucker for the nostalgia and old graphics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you think the Pokemon community is bad with waifus, wait until you see Weiß Schwarz :eyes:

5 Likes

One thing I love about HGSS, was that once you complete the national dex, you can play the game with the OG soundtrack. IMO, the most gratifying reward ever given in the games. AFAIK, it’s not in other remakes.

6 Likes