What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

If you don’t mind me asking, what about Fukuda’s art style bothers you?

And who is your favorite illustrator? That might help me understand your answer.

1 Like

I like her craft because it’s something different. The recent Drapion V SAR in VSTAR Universe is awesome. I just sent some for grading despite them being a cheap card.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to claymation but Morii’s is rather basic.

I think there was a Pikachu claymation for the illustration contest last year that was a lot better than what Morii puts out.

Similarly, not opposed to CGI art, there was a stunning Scizor in the illustration contest too, but we get crap from 5ban and PLANETA.

3 Likes

Big studios often make disney-esque work: safe, but proven at least acceptable. It’s the risk of organizations getting too big. They have more to lose when taking risks, so they do less to push the boundaries.

2 Likes

anyone else gonna miss giant Pokemon? VMAX Pokemon really provided so much opportunity for really unique and playful art. I’m not sure if Terastal Pokemon will be as a fun of a creative experiment for artists as much as giant Pokemon were. Dynamaxing is probably the best of in-game pokemon transformations for card collectors.

10 Likes

Giant Pokémon didn’t sit right with me. It felt like something Team Rocket or Mewtwo would do.

It seems odd when a Pokemon is listed at 3 feet, then their VMAX is 3x times the size of their trainer.

6 Likes

i am yet to see a vmax card i actually like, i think they all just look aweful

5 Likes

I bet this is an unpopular opinion in some circles, considering who illustrated it.

Reveal at your own risk

https://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/48/MewtwoWizardsPromo12.jpg

I don’t like this artwork.

1 Like

IMO looks better than 14 promo

1 Like

Agreed - there’s something about giant Pokémon that really makes for an awesome card. VMax alt arts really feel like epic cards.

With VStars (and ex for Scarlet and Violet), that feeling isn’t quite there.

3 Likes

Mr. Mime is great

7 Likes

What is great about Mr. Mime?

1 Like

Hes just a chill guy. Hes psychic type, which means he’s pretty strong, got psybeam which is cool. Just a funny little guy. The jungle holo is a sick card too

5 Likes

I just find humanoid Pokemon a little off-putting. And he’s a bit creepy…

5 Likes

Finally someone gets it

4 Likes

hatersShoveIt

In context, this guy is actually one of the better ones.

3 Likes

I would rather open a rare/expensive sealed WoTC/Ex era box (if I had one) than keep it sealed.

I would rather have the cards inside the box than have a box sitting on my shelf. That’s just me. I don’t know how people keep large sealed collections haha. I would go wild opening everything!! Just think! Minty vintage cards await you!!

(I know selling vintage sealed could net you some great money now/in the future so I get that perspective, but man, I couldn’t do it)

7 Likes

I’m the same way. Maybe I’m just not patient enough or willing to appreciate the sealed item itself as a collectible. I have a few sealed packs and promos and even those I want to bust open just to see what is inside!

2 Likes

Best way to do it is buy sealed boxes from sets that you dont want the singles of;)

Or just complete the set first then buy the box

3 Likes

Ewwwwww haha I only want cards that I want :joy:

1 Like