What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

Funnily enough I’m looking to get a Master Scroll since I just love the look of it and its place in the history of the hobby. I think a big part of trophy cards is what you said its just the knowledge of the card. Knowing its background, rarity, story, significance, and history in the franchise gives such an appreciation for them. To echo what you’ve said about the journey nothing gets me fired up quite like the quest for a good card so I definitely understand that too. Wanting to get a trophy mixes the journey and appreciation of the hobby really well so that could be a big appeal. Its another layer adding to this great hobby :blush:

2 Likes

Why dilute it even further? No one needs the same art given out every year with some new glitter over top of it to try to convince people that its cool. Vintage unlimited cards are fairly affordable and there is no reason for mindless reprints in my opinion. I can get behind a stormfront charizard style nod towards the classics, or bringing back old mechanics like shining textured cards or lv.x on a modern cards, but a celebrations-style reprint needs to be kept to a bare minimum.

The Illustrator, 97-99 Trophy Pika’s, TMB and SSB are the only true trophy/grail cards. Everything else is over hyped.

3 Likes

Opening red logo fossil booster packs.

Where do error cards fit into the scale of ENG set to Trophy cards? Above set, but below exclusive promos? Or are they on a different scale altogether?

1 Like

This. The English holos are overkill, too many speckles that kind of clash with the text. Also, love that the Japanese holos retained the base set layout, so you can get Gen II Pokemon on Gen I looking cards.

1 Like

So, this has bugged me for a while, and I was inspired to post it here now. Please read entirely before responding, if at all.

Not so much an “unpopular opinion in Pokemon”, but just an unpopular opinion, in general, I think: “If it seems too good to be true…” is a largely worthless expression with a lot of subjective evaluation that could cause you to miss out on a lot of opportunities and growth experience. Not just in the hobby but in life. Raise your hand if you’ve never had a great deal or opportunity, that seemed “too good” at first. I think it has some merit as words of caution, but not a rule by any means. To some the entire hobby is “too good…”. So I would say it should mean “If it seems too good to be true, it needs more research.” Or in our case, “If it seems to good to be true, Go to EFour.”

1 Like

Speaking of trophy cards; I wonder if some of the original winners are looking back at the day they sold their trophy and be like:

5 Likes

Not sure really on how trophys work but aren’t they awarded more than one? I would like to think they got a few and kept atleast one. If not I’d definitely be sad because of the sheer sentimental value that card would have.

That is why the end of the expression is “it probably is”. To not make a purchase only because it seems too good, or to make a purchase because it seems good is not enough. Research should always be done on a purchase, but if it is a great deal or a possible awesome experience, definitely proceed with caution.
I dont think anyone uses this saying as a rule.

2 Likes

Being awarded multiple copies is true for some trophies (like snap Pokemon cards) but not for others (e.g. illustrator, no1./2/3 trainer trophies from championships). With the latter, you either held or sold. I can’t imagine how someone feels today, knowing they sold their illustrator in 2005…

Respectfully, I disagree. I think most people who say it do intend it as a dissuasion, in my unpopular opinion.
Hence why I put it here.:laughing:

1 Like

www.elitefourum.com/t/are-empty-booster-packs-just-going-to-be-bought-by-scammers/34908/1

Collecting empty booster packs and boxes is basically collecting trash.

2 Likes

What if Logan paul signed his trash tho?

Still trash

Ah yes, collecting the art from an empty piece of paper or plastic is trash compared to the normal paper that we usually collect.

8 Likes

Then why do they have fire and mostly unique art on them! It is a nice budget way to have the art while not collecting sealed (some/most people are not into that). So yeah, great unpopular opinion if you ask me!

2 Likes

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure lol.
Pack art has been appreciated and collected by true collectors for decades. Almost all my sets include the original pack art (see picture).

7 Likes

Rayquazas gumline overshadows most of its good art

That’s almost as unseeable as the fact that the Pokeball opens the wrong way on the back of basically every English card (button should be on the red side)

2 Likes