What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

As if collecting non trophy cards is what, cool and normal? If only I collected more base unlimited charizards instead of trophies I would be a total chad leaving Zoë Kravitz dm’s on read. Instead I am stuck in my grandma house alone in bed. :relieved:

3 Likes

To be fair, there’s a massive difference between the two cards.

But isn’t it also weird to collect other people’s pulls? You can buy a unlimited base zard, but it wasn’t pulled by you so it is not your “achievement”. Where do we put the line for what is weird and what is not?

i dont consider pulling a card an accomplishment. this argument would be like someone selling something to someone who won a lottery and trying to tell them that they did win that money, so they shouldn’t collect it.

1 Like

lol i just said it was weird. i’m not here to kink shame. i know people don’t collect them because they’re trophies, but because they’re rare.

tbf i guess if you’re really nerdy about the tcg, or just pokemon history in general, i can totally see owning a trophy as a nice homage to a piece of history.

ultimately, it shouldn’t matter what i think about other people’s choices for collecting :relieved:

2 Likes

We are all equally weird because we collect shiny cardboard. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

(Popular?) opinion: the unpopular opinion thread should rebrand as the apolitical, non-pokemon unpopular opinions thread.

Instead of getting stuck we could spend the next 50 pages battling over pineapple on pizza like the rest of the internet. Personally, I love it, but only with pepperoni to counteract the sweetness and only with thick crust. And it doesn’t work on leftovers, when the pineapple becomes overly sweet and gets that thick wrinkly skin on it, yuuuck…I pick that shit off.

If not then…hmm, maybe unpopular: I hope gen 9 reintroduces Mega evolutions. It is by far the best post-BW mechanic and I have more faith in that mechanic than them inventing something equally as good or better.

4 Likes

Fire/Water/Grass as primary type for starters should take a back seat and Gamefreak should try other types as the primary type.

I want to see see Dark > Psychic > Fighting as the main types and have their designs reflect that.

12 Likes

Love the idea. I would also enjoy seeing something like Bug - Electric - Ice, working on the opposite principle where the types are all neutral to each other.

1 Like

i think blissey is the worst example of a prime card because blissey is an inherently “nice” healer pokemon it doesn’t go with the dark theme of primes so it looks awkward. A lot of them look great and I like the menacing feel of the cards with the expressions and shading. Some of my favorites are magnezone, scizor, crobat, gengar and tyranitar, primes are Pretty neat imo.

2 Likes

In that regard, isn’t collecting ANYthing weird? but then is money a thing? or is it merely a vehicle or tool? Ultimately, we’re beginning to break down the ontology of what things are, and heh, well maybe it’s time for Scott to do that philosophy QnA. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s “Laurel”! :laughing:

1 Like

Since there is a significant amount of discussion, please direct all junk slab talk to this thread. I have moved over the relevant posts

www.elitefourum.com/t/junk-slab-discussion/34434/1

5 Likes

Opinion on PSA return videos - if you’re showing off hundreds of slabs it’s usually not very entertaining or exciting. It feels more akin to a business showing the inventory they’re about to put on their shelves than a collector actually excited about the new cards they’re adding to their collection.

In before “wElL YoU DoN’T hAvE To wAtCh tHeM”

6 Likes

Agreed, I prefer watching the ones with fewer cards, better cameras and ideally some sincere words about each individual slab.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is unpopular or mentioned yet but,

During times of market uncertainty and economic volatility, ‘certain folks’ typically steer away from intangible assets (bitcons) and opt for precious metals, gold, and PSA Pokemon cards. I wonder why that happens

Ooyama is the worst artist

likely because speculative markets are propped up when there is excess capital that needs a home

I really dislike the Aquapolis Scizor.

Feel like this is a very unpopular opinion, but idk:

People hating on some of the newer Pokemon standing on two legs, and praying for starters to either stay on four legs, or in general just not standing on two legs, are either blinded by nostalgia, or just don’t understand what pokemon is about.

Pokemon doesn’t only reassemble animals, they reassemble hybrids of plants, objects, items, myths, gods and sometimes humans with creature/animal features, or just full on human. It has always been like that, so why is now that there are newer pokemon with human-like features that it’s a problem? or now it’s a problem when pokemon reassemble object, when Magnemite existed in gen 1.

Point is, Pokemon has always been human like, or human-animal like, since gen 1. Which means that it is normal for pokemon to be like that.

Gen 1 pokemon that stand on two legs, or have human-like features:

• Charizard (which is arguably the most popular pokemon)

• Blastoise

• Golduck

• Poliwirl/Poliwrath

• Machop/Machoke/Machamp

• Kadabra/Alakazam

• Slowbro

• Gengar

• Drowzee/Hypno

• Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan

• Mr. Mime

• Meowth

• jynx