What are your favorite cards with interesting releases?

One of my favorite things to see is promo cards, trophy cards, or even just set cards with a stamp or slight variation that has a unique/cool story behind its release. Some of my favorites are the English Championship Arena which was given out in 2005 to Worlds competitors by sliding it under there hotel room doors, Championship stamped Charmander line given out for from what I call tell competing in certain levels of tournaments held by Pokemon, and the 2004 Tropical Wind specifically the unstamped version as that was just given to anyone who showed up to the event and I think that’s a really cool release. Let me know your favorite cards with a cool release. I’d love to hear it! :grin:

Championship Arena:

Championship stamped Charmander line promos:

Umstamped spectator Tropical Wind(2004):

8 Likes

I like your idea for this thread!

My obvious choices are the Masaki and Scream promos. The requirement to mail in a physical letter with two cards to get another card back in return is absolutely wild from today’s perspective! The artworks are also kicking ass!
The Scream promos are simply perfect in every way. Their release at the actual Munch exhibit + the high effort artwork reference make them some of the best promos ever.

A card I still want is Pikachu & Nicole Fujita (don’t know if that’s the actual name of the card). It was given to the first 13000 visitors of a photo booth store in Tokyo and later given out to people that took a photo in a booth at Kamex Mega battle locations.

Also the CD Promo / Trade Please Zard reprint from the XY-P promos has arguably an even cooler release than the originals. From Bulbapedia: "Customers visiting participating Pokémon Centers, Pokémon Stores, and Pokémon Store Outlets, as well as those attending the 20th Anniversary Festa venues in October, could trade 20 Pokémon TCG cards featuring a classic reverse (those released during the Original and Neo Eras) with a member of staff for 1 of 2 “courses” whilst saying the secret password "Trade Please!"."

Lastly, I love the distribution method of the Zarude V promo:“From June 1, 2020, Pokémon branded boxes of Otona na Garigari-kun Golden Pineapple would have a chance of including specially-marked ice pop sticks that could be exchanged for a copy of this card.”
But while the stamp is interesting, the fact that it’s just a regular set artwork and a Pokemon I really don’t care about make the card pretty unappealing to me. Wasted potential IMO.

13 Likes

@muk don’t reveal all the cool stuff I’ve been looking at! I still need to buy them :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@muk

Wow I didn’t know about that CD promo reprint of Zard. Tyvm for sharing, what a cool story

5 Likes

@muk , Thanks for these! This is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to see. All of those have amazing stories. The only one I knew beforehand was the Masaki Promos

1 Like

@muk, That golem though!

1 Like

This one because it brings back memories.

imgur.com/a/BTJfIsQ

3 Likes

Oh I’ve seen that before! What’s the story again?

The Pokepark cards have an interesting release. They were released in conjunction with the opening of the Pokepark theme park in Japan. There were cards from a folder that was sold which are more rare, and also cards given to people who went on the rides which are more common. I think there was also a Pokepark theme park in China or Taiwan which briefly opened and the Chinese cards are more rare.

3 Likes

You would get it in a box of fruit roll ups. Good times

1 Like

That’s right, that’s so cool. Thank for the reminder!

Perhaps this is the right opportunity for me to lament that I will never obtain a particular card…

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :sob:

2 Likes

I love Snap Promos! They have a super special release as well. While most sources claim they were part of a promotional campaign for the new Pokémon Snap game in 1999, involving CoroCoro magazine and Mario Stadium show, this is INCORRECT.

Snap Promos must be “summoned” by sacrificing a Victorian-era, high class porcelain doll, specifically with Gothic features, at midnight on a full moon. The doll has to be carefully lowered into a steaming cauldron and the summoner should chant “Pkonno Pkonno, Please Please Please!” three times fast as they stir the cauldron. There is a rare ingredient that has to be added for this to work. I cannot specifiy what it is or I risk over saturating the market.

Legend tells, within one lunar year of this sacrifice, a Snap Promo will appear on Yahoo Japan. Use this knowledge wisely!

15 Likes

Noted haha :laughing:

For vintage, I like the JR rallye Pikachu. To obtain this, you had to collect stamps in a booklet all over Japan, in person, and only if you obtained enough you were awarded this card. It’s like Pokemon Go’s spirit existed in 1997, but without spoofing. The illustration features a train and mt. Fuji, which makes it unique & hints at the release.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Surfing_Pikachu_(Wizards_Promo_28)

For cards released a bit later: I love the unique story of how the Pikachu & Raichu Classroom prize cards were supposed to be mass-reprinted in the west & had finished design in all languages (visible in ptcgo to this day) but were abruptly cancelled and thus never released. It feels like holding cards that aren’t really supposed to exist - it’s as much about how these prize cards were released, as about how the reprints were not. :stuck_out_tongue:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pikachu_(BW_Promo_77)

Also: All the worlds promos. The way they are/were released, how the art fits that release / the place of the tournament, how they all tie into each other, the stamps… yeah. :grin:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Champions_Festival_(BW_Promo_95)
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tropical_Tidal_Wave_(Nintendo_Promo_27)

5 Likes

Big fan of the Kids WB! Poké Card Creator Pack Promos. In 2004, you had to draw and submit a picture of one of the five featured Pokémon to earn a pack or to grace a card with your artwork. I remember submitting drawings of Treecko and Torchic for the competition and winning a pack with my Torchic! He was roasting an Oran Berry.

I especially like these because it feels like very few know about them, they hardly pop up, and they strongly draw me back to the R/S/E days where I’d stay up and play Sapphire on my silver SP under the covers.

EDIT: Click on “Spoiler” to see the pack artwork and the cards that are inside.

Spoiler

8 Likes

@johnnymucho dude these WB! creator cards are AWESOME. I knew about their existance, but not their history. English exclusive (which in itself is rare) illustration contest cards with limited release of ~5000 copies. This is where the term underrated is appropriate IMO.

4 Likes

Forreal tho! The illustrations are also very solid and unique as well. While Torchic is my least favorite, I have so much difficulty choosing which artwork between the Mudkip, Pikachu, and even the Wurmple I like best!

3 Likes

@johnnymucho, Dude I found out about those like 3 days ago and I love them. They are such a unique promo set! I love the Treecko :grin:

2 Likes

Some of my favorites are the Pokémon Scream Promos. They were released to commemorate the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum holding a exhibit displaying Edvard Munch’s The Scream painting. Each card in the set was done by a different artist but their designs were an homage to The Scream. Not only that, but each card art is connected. The first card is the Rowlett Scream and in that card you see the dark figure of a mimikyu behind it. Then you have the Mimikyu Scream with the shadowy pikachu behind it, followed by eevee scream with psyduck behind it, and finally psyduck scream with an assortment of ghost Pokémon behind it! A chain of screams. Also a fun game of “Who’s that Pokémon?” because of the shadowy Pokémon behind each screaming Pokémon. Brilliant concept and execution for Pokémon promos.

3 Likes