Favourite vintage japanese promos

When you think of Japanese vintage promos, which set of cards do you think of first?
Fan club promos? Masaki promos? GB promos? Natta Wake promos?

Which is your favourite?

I think the fanclub promos are the most iconic to me.

18 Likes

First think of the Corocoro promos.

Favourite is the Masaki promos.

5 Likes

Nothing with ever top CoroCoro Mew.

9 Likes

13 Likes

This is what comes to mind for me

14 Likes

Agreed. CD promos are what come to mind for me. Probably because they’re the first PSA graded cards I ever got

7 Likes

I’ve always felt like the Fan Club and PLAY promos were a bit different than the Game Boy promos. In terms of actual promotional material, I feel like the Game Boy promos served that purpose. The Fan Club and PLAY promos have a pseudo-trophy feel to me given the GET and EXP requirements. Masaki promos were right in the middle between actual promotional items and pseudo-trophies in my head.

GB Dragonite, Lugia, and Great Rocket’s Mewtwo come to mind for the purpose of actually promoting the TCG.

My favorites would be the Mew and Celebi PLAY promos, the Eevee Fan Club promo, and Masaki Gengar.

10 Likes

Same with the CD promos @ascendedbidoof @Coop13 , first card I think of is the Please Trade card with the holo back – one of my favorites of all time

21 Likes

I love my psa 9. Trainer mag promos are underrated.

3 Likes

For me it would have to be either corocoro’s or natta wakes that come to mind first. As for my all time favorite it is so hard to choose because I love all the promos from 96-2003, but if I had to choose I would go with Grand Party. I love how it has the Pocket Monsters logo and the double star rarity. A close second favorite is the T promos.

2 Likes

For me its the CD Promos, purely because of nostalgia, as the artwork of the starters is the same as it is on Pokemon Red/Blue.

1 Like

Corocoros are probably the most iconic to be fair, but Mcdonald promos have really peculiar artworks. Like Sunset mew, just a beautiful card.

10 Likes

:arrow_up: very nice distinction between what’s being called a promo and what actually is one! I dare you, if anyone’s going to say “Vending promos”… I double dare you

The GB promos were also the very first ones that came to my mind when I was readimg the thread title. They actually got me into Japanese cards as a whole via the English Blackstar Venusaur.
The GB set has so just much going for it. Someone on the old forum said ages ago that they kinda look like old style trophies and I have to agree. There’s just a special aura surrounding them.
What’s perhaps even better about them is that they’re not a clearly defined set with set numbers or tied to one specific event or product. Instead they tease you to dig into the obscure Japanese vintage side of things on your own. They’re like a gateway drug to tru collecting, at least they were for me.

Now add all that to the fact that they were literally promos to the Pokemon Card Game on the Game Boy, where Pokemon started in the first place. What else is there more to say?

… well, other than perhaps, just look at that Mewtwo and that Venusaur. Insane.

16 Likes

Well … In my case I’d say Masaki Omastar in case of Unnumbered Promos. All Masaki cards are awesome, but Omastar is my personal favourite … The way Omastar had been drawn looks really similar to Gen I sprites. It’s simply amazing!!!

Other card that came to my mind when I read the question is T Promo Dragonite … I really like that card a lot. Saitou did an amazing work with this card. Dragonite can remind a bit to PKMN RGB Watercolor Artworks … At the same time, the background looks like a sunset … and that goes well with this Dragonite Artwork … I hope I can find Trainers Magazine Vol.19 someday …

There’re a lot of good old Japanese Promo cards such as P Promos, T Promos, GB Dark Fearow (Falling Fearow) or Masaki Gengar, but these 2 cards are my favourite ones.

10 Likes

I like when multiple cards make one artwork like with Southern Islands or Neo 2 & 3 promotional files. I would pick this one as my favourite from the files.

Skarmory be like:

18 Likes

The corocoro mew comes to mind first but as a set the cd promos are my favorite.

1 Like

For me it is both the GB and the ANA promos. Both sets were really good in terms of promoting the brand of Pokemon. I think the ANA promos really are underrated.

Cheers!

19 Likes

There’s just something about the old low-res CG promos. Steelix, porygon. Good stuff. Masaki promos are fun too, and I guess Gengar counts as CG because of the background. We’ll include him too, yeah!

180px-SteelixTrainersPromo

10 Likes

I love a heap of the old Japanese promo’s, but nothing quite hits the spot like looking at this beauty:

If you didn’t know any better, you’d swear this was a trophy (and one of the best looking ones of the bunch)! The legendary birds; “grand” looking graphics; old school trainer card design - everything is going on here.

15 Likes

4 Likes