Favourite vintage japanese promos

Is there a “comedian” badge for @inertgeometry?

The GB dragonite hits different and so does Grand Party!

1 Like

mb i didn’t see the “favorite” or “japanese” part

1 Like

it might be basic, but i’d probably have to go with the classic

7 Likes

Aw! I thought you were making a funny! Nice pick on the mew tho.

(i was)

3 Likes

Winner right here. Like a bonus shiny from the neo sets as well. Finishes out a binder page nicely!

2 Likes

Perhaps not vintage but in terms of pre-modern, there’s plenty to choose from 2003-06, PLAY promos, pcg-p, etc. I’d choose the PokePart Forest file set since I much enjoy Eo’s style and they look great in a binder together!

4 Likes

Huge agree with all the promos in here. I wanna spotlight some old trophies and prizes. I think they still count as promos since it says so on the corner haha

Cant forget this guy. One of my favorite vintage arts on any card

Some of my favorite more recent pre-modern promos. They’re kinda promo adjacent since theyre technically reprints, but I love the legend prize cards. Some of my favorite stamped cards for sure.

Also i need to give a special shoutout to the card the myth the legend, master scroll my beloved:

10 Likes

Also, this one reeeeally pushes whether it counts as “vintage,” but it’s certainly pre-modern boom era and one of my favorite cards of all time

3 Likes

2 Likes

The ones I think of first are natta wake and glossy Corocoro promos. I wouldn’t say either are my favourite, though I love birthday Pikachu.

As a ‘set’, probably T-promos (though the volume 20 promos kind of ruin the fun by not being exclusive art. I’ll add the caveat that new back definitely is a -1 in ‘vintage’ rating too, even if they are 20+ years old.

1 Like

Grand party is the best card in the hobby imo. It gives everything u could ask for. Beauty, rarity but its also attainable. I don’t even own one but have wanted one for years. Maybe one day when import prices aren’t so steep to nz.

3 Likes

Fan club Porygon is definitely my favorite from the old back era but moreso new back vintage I’d say:

and

4 Likes

So many promos to choose from but 20th Pikachu Festa is one of the coolest imo, it hits all the nostalgia bones in my body.

5 Likes

Do you know how many of the indigo plateau legend prize card were distributed? I’ve tried googling but haven’t found anything. It’s also one of my favourite cards!

1 Like

I was and still am mesmerized by the Scroll :scroll:

1 Like

Also curious

I don’t think there’s any documented numbers I’ve seen, and I’ve looked. Bulbapedia states how they were distributed, and what winners got them. However there is no sense of real numbers due to the number of tournaments and events they could be obtained at.

3 Likes

I know not vintage, but certainly not modern - L-P era is hands-down the best for me. Frustratingly still waiting on an Indigo Plateau (overall favourite promo) being returned from my Feb 2021 submission through Ludkins :roll_eyes: Daisukis and Stadium Legends are just S tier.

Otherwise, a joint favourite vote goes to CoroCoro Jirachi:

Sold a PSA 10 copy to a Chinese buyer in February and wish I hadn’t. It’s going to be tough to reacquire another 10. Oh well what are mistakes if not learning events.

3 Likes