What’s your guys favorite Japanese promo sets

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what your favorite Japanese promo sets are, and why you think they stand out. I ask because I just bought a Masaki gengar and alakazam. I noticed how unique the art on these “special” sets can be, and how the art can deviate from what the mainline product produces.

If you got photos, that would help. I especially love the original legendary birds… don’t feel like paying for grand party….yet :wink:

UPDATE: Hey everyone, thanks so much for the fine examples so far of the Japanese promos you have posted, I am already trying to acquire several of them, alot of sets i knew nothing about :smile:

3 Likes

Easily my favourite ones are the ones known as “T Promos”. Those were promos related to “Pokémon Card Trainers Magazine” (from Vol.14 to Vol.21). In each Volume (since Vol.14), 3 cards came as inserts. If you put these cards together, they form a unique illustration (which is the same as the cover)
Most of these promos are Japanese Exclusive. The only exceptions are the Vol.20 T Promos (Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar ex) which were distributed in Occident via POP Series 1

Other set of promos I like are P Promos because of their artwork and the way they were originally released. And some Unnumbered Promos such as Masaki Promos and Poké Dude.

About Legendary birds, they also appear as T Promos. They came as inserts of Trainers Magazine Vol.18. Awesome illustrations made by Midori Harada. I own the magazine and is one of my favourites.
:warning: By personal experience, the magazine is way harder to find than the e-Cards that came as inserts in it.

Have a nice day!!!

34 Likes

(Not my image) these belong to @cutters

27 Likes

Munch!!! I have all except mimikyu

21 Likes

28 Likes

18 Likes

Man, I could talk about Japanese promos all day long. These are some of my favorites.

Pokemon ANA promo cards - Cards released as a promotion for the ANA. Lot of Pokemon shown in the air. The famous flying Pikachu cards also belong to this set.

Pokemon GB Promo Set - Cards released in conjunction with the Pokemon Trading Card game on the Gameboy. Super iconic cards.

Pic Credits: @pokekuma13

Pokemon Pal City - Cards given out during the Battle Road 2007 event. Each location had a promo card associated with it. Every card also features the large Pokemon Dome in the background which is how the event was also designed. I also have not finished this set unfortunately.

I also absolutely love the PCG-P numbered promo set. I believe there are some stunning cards with a lot of competitive history associated with those sets. I particularly like the energy cards in that set. Almost all of the energy cards could only be obtained by participating in Pokemon Tournaments.

Cheers!

25 Likes

Mine is also Pal City, I am also looking to finish it

19 Likes

For me nothing comes even close to the Masaki promos.

download

17 Likes

Masaki promos for sure

2 Likes

There are so many! Since scream and T-Promos have already been mentioned. I will go with the Natta wake Promos. (My Mankey is in the to be graded pile ). This set is just fun. I love the color depth and the concept of “How I became a Pokémon “

27 Likes

I really enjoy Play promos and other point based club systems they had in place like fan club and daisuki. Players Clubs standouts for me personally though as I think the art is at its most quality with Mew ex, Jirachi ex, ho oh and lugia ex, the your name cards, and so on. I think there is a real history to systems like these and wish they were still around!

3 Likes

Legends (L-P) and Dpt-P cuz the stamps are hot and the release info/scarcity behind some of them are pretty cool even if they aren’t super popular.

5 Likes

Wow, know what I’m hunting for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was so happy to pick up the gengar and alakazam

1 Like

Man Milhouse that mewtwo is really cool, I gotta get that one

1 Like

21 Likes

Can someone explain these?

Ha, that’s my photo, posted in a Resetera thread 3 years ago. Funny to see it make its way here!

2 Likes

Quick Starter Gift Set (1998)

1 Like