What’s your guys favorite Japanese promo sets

lol got that off eBay

That articuno is one of the most beautiful looking card

These three cards and the original artwork containing each of them are actual perfection.

16 Likes

Photo found online.

I like cards with a theme to them and well, these are pretty nice. Full Art Holo and all.

21 Likes

Does Southern Islands count? I actually prefer the English cosmos holos more, but the execution is insane. I’m surprised we haven’t had a similar SI 2.0 in 20 some years…

The Pikachu World 2010 is another set I like a lot. I hope to complete both sets in the future…but baby steps :walking_man:

16 Likes

Warm Pikachu (Uniqlo) promos, during winter 2014 you would receive one for each purchase of children’s winter clothing at Uniqlo, a Japanese clothing franchise. I like these more than most modern Pikachu promos as these arts all have clear connection to the campaign (Pikachu wearing different styles of Children’s clothing, and the Japanese winter theme), the unique illustrations by 4 different artists, and difficulty to acquire in mint condition.

200px-WarmPikachuXYPromo94200px-WarmPikachuXYPromo95
200px-WarmPikachuXYPromo96200px-WarmPikachuXYPromo97

16 Likes

Obligated to highlight the PLAY promo set. You got promo cards for participating in events, and accumulating points over time. There is an excellent article about them here Pokemon Players Club - Pokumon by @HumanForScale.

The set features mostly Japanese exclusive art and mostly mythical and legendary Pokémon, even your favourite trio (pictures below).

18 Likes

I have to agree with @triple. The Munch A Retrospective set is quite iconic and has been gradually increasing in value. Even if the value were to stop, the art alone is superb as it is based off of real life art.

Wish me luck as I send off Mimikyu for grading!

15 Likes

Such a beautiful set, good luck with the Mankey! I am also hoping to finish it next year.

@martin I’m hoping for a 9 at least it’s in really great shape. Others I had left unpeeled for 20 years, so when they finally were peeled there was some glue damage. I still have one I’m keeping sealed. I have some duplicates ( low grade raw Psyduck, Sunken if your interested dm me)

2 Likes

15 Likes

I will pick them up

Scrolling through this thread makes it almost impossible to find a favourite set :smiley: They are all gorgeous!

2 Likes

This is one of my new favorite threads. Keep posting boys! :sunglasses:

1 Like

P promos!

25 Likes

picking up the JR rally mewtwo now

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist. Cool collection!

22 Likes

Some that come to mind are lucky stadiums, victory medals, poke park

For modern theres also players ceremony/ celebration fanfare The 2023 Celebration Fanfare has been revealed

For sets you also have vending, '97 carddass, web, VS…

Lots of great options!!

Theres also a lot of promos that came with half decks, movie releases, and things like VHS and CD promos!!

Hope this doesnt overwhelm you, but theres a ton!

4 Likes

Badass!!!

1 Like

So many good ones have been mentioned already! I’ll be biased toward my profile picture and say the 2002 Japanese McDonald’s promos. They have such a great identity and are also quite affordable!

18 Likes