What are the rarest/most expensive English booster boxes and booster packs?

I feel like obviously 1st Ed base is number one. But I like after that it varies.

Wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts

1 Like

I feel like Skyridge and Aquapolis have to be up there, since they were some of the lowest print sets in English.

2 Likes

Rarest is impossible to answer.

For most expensive, assuming we’re talking about regular sets:

1. 1st Ed. Base
  2. Skyridge

The top two are very clear-cut. It gets murkier once you get into the $20k-$30k range. Boxes that are worth >$20K:

1st Ed. Neo Genesis
1st. Ed. Neo Revelation
1st Ed. Neo Destiny
Legendary Collection
Expedition
Aquapolis
EX Team Rocket Returns
EX Deoxys
EX Holon Phantoms
EX DF

That covers all of them, I think.

12 Likes

I think other than 1st base, you got some of those mid era ex boxes like Deoxys that are pretty pricey. Neo Destiny comes to mind as well, not sure where the other neo sets fall. All the e-series sets are expensive as well. In terms of price, i think that pretty much sums it up

1 Like

Yep, I’d have to agree with that list. NEO era and the 3rd gen and EX eras are definitely the most expensive boxes in English after 1st ed base and Skyridge. However, it’s interesting to see some of the 4th gen and later sets starting to approach the 10k threshold.

3 Likes

Is skyridge really the clear number 2 after 1st Ed base?

I always wondered if destiny or deoxys was more?

Yup – and it’s not a close call. Destiny and Deoxys are worth $25k-$35k each. Skyridge is somewhere in the $45k-$60k range, if I’m not mistaken. Either way, it’s definitely above Destiny and Deoxys.

3 Likes

Red logo fossil is very rare. Only two boxes that I know about for sale in absolutely ages.

4 Likes

In monitoring ex box sales ive noticed the least volume of sales from the 2005 year sets generally over the past several years. May be the lowest point in mainstream popularity too. People palying 17.5k for emerald really shows how starved they are for that era

1 Like

I see 1st Ed Base mentioned, but let’s not forget regular Shadowless. I rarely see those for sale either. It might even be above Skyridge?

If we include non TCG English sets don’t forget Topps chrome boxes. They are incredibly expensive nowadays.

Yes, but doesn’t break $30K so probably not S tier.

I didn’t realize one could even confirm a box was shadowless without opening it. If it’s actually possible, then you’re definitely right that shadowless would be #2 or #3 (sounds like #2 from what wallstreetgamer is saying).

1 Like

I saw some people on ig claiming to know a jungle box was NS without opening it. I didnt look into it because it seemed like bs but I was not sure. I am 99% sure that there is no way to tell though, if there was that would be a much better buy than unlimited jungle

2 Likes

curious to know what the Japanese side of the tcg would be for most expensive/rarest

I’m not 100% sure about that either. I saw a sealed one here from a couple years back, which seems to suggest there could be a way to validate without opening? :
https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/trading-cards/pokemon-shadowless-edition-base-set-sealed-booster-box-wizards-of-the-coast-1999-/a/7239-92125.s

Either way, definitely seems to be one of the rarer/expensive boxes.

1 Like

This should help you. I remember reading this quite a while ago.

1 Like

Its possible the guy on IG had others from a verified case and thats why he said it, but I was hoping there would be some other way to tell.

Sadly, if nothing on the box is different if we didnt have that provenance. Could be true but its not a repeatable way to verify the boxes unfortunately. Though 30k is a bit steep for just a “trust me bro” verification

2 Likes

Just passing on what I’ve come across.

1 Like

The flap on the front can be pushed down to reveal the top 2 booster packs, which will show if the box has shadowless pack art and long crimps, which are 100% guaranteed to hold shadowless cards.

6 Likes