1st ed base set booster box VS Multiple sealed boxes

Hey all,

Just thought id drop some food for thought. A nice little hypothetical

If you happened to have the opportunity to buy a 1st ed base set booster box (say 100k)

Would you rather buy one of them, or buy heaps of other boxes like skyridge, LC, destiny 1st etc

As a collection would look much more “full” but on the other hand have the holy grail.

Let us know what you think and reasons :blush:

It really depends what you want to do with the box(es). Is it an investment? Is it bought for nostalgic reasons? Is it your favorite set? I´d personally go for the 1st ed base, as I prefer having bigger over smaller items. In this specific case I wouldn´t mind the “smaller” items as they are great themselves imo, but 1st ed base is 1st ed base.

Its not for me lol, im just curious on peoples thoughts. Everything would have to be considered,

ROI, 1 vs many, just curious on peoples thoughts

1st base all day. There will never be another like it, and while Skyridge is rare I lump it into the same group as Neo Destiny and Revelation. Nothing else is in the 1st edition base league.

If i had the money, i’d go for a Base Set 1st .Ed booster box. Since its scarce and hardly ever available i’d go after e-Series booster boxes.

In this instance, the 1st Edition Base. I could always save up again to get the other ones individually but would probably never save 100k quick enough to get a 1st Ed Base again.

I’d rather have a sealed First Base booster box because first base is the most valuable and most sought after set in Pokemon!

Seems I’m alone in wanting the quantity over the “quality”…!

I’d enjoy having a range of different sealed boxes more. It’d give my collection more variety. Owning a 1st Edition Base box would be amazing, obviously, but it’s never been on my radar.

6 Likes

I think I’d have to go with the Base Set box for nostalgia.

I’ve thought this many times before, still can’t pick one over the other.

1 Like

1st base. Saving to get a smaller box here and there is possible. Having the money for a 1st ed isnt even on my radar lol

From a totally numbers based stand point in which I only want to make the most money possible, in this hypothetical I wouldn’t take the 1st ed base box. Let’s say a 1st ed base box is $100k, and you can get something like jungle, fossil and rocket 1st edition boxes at around $3000 each.

You could buy about 33 1st edition jungle, fossil and rocket boxes for the price of one 1st ed base box. Now do you think these three boxes could hit $5000 each? I think they could quite easily especially with the rising price of PSA 10 singles from those sets. If each box rose $2000 then your total box ‘value’ would increase by $66,000.

Do you think 1st edition base is going to be $166k per box anytime soon to match this potential growth? Maybe. If it does though and you want to cash out it’s a lot harder to find someone that’s willing to drop $166k on a box vs $5k on a box; the larger quantity of lower value boxes is still highly desirable to collectors and much more liquid IMO.

What if all those boxes end up at 8k each instead of $5k? Also totally possible given time. That’s a $165,000 increase on the purchase price, the single 1st ed base box would need to go up to $265k to reach the same amount of growth. I don’t think that’s impossible given time, but I think when you have Neo and Skyridge boxes at $20k-ish each, jungle, fossil and rocket have a huge amount of potential at $3k each - especially with rising single prices and supply getting chewed up by box openings.

tl;dr: I’d take 33 1st edition jungle, fossil and rocket boxes over one 1st edition base box if I wanted the best returns.

6 Likes

1st base box cause it takes up less room.

7 Likes

1st edition base because of difficulty to acquire.

3 Likes

I’d much rather prefer multiple boxes if this was purely for a collection that I wouldn’t ever resell. Give me every EX series box and the leftover $$$ all day over a 1st Ed Base Box.

1 Like

Deep down you’re a PSA 9 collector at heart, daddy :wink:

For the collection I’d go 1st ed base, from an investment standpoint I’d go with the many lower tier boxes you could alternatively buy

I had this same dilemma and I traded them all in for the base box. No regrets.

5 Likes

None because I have zero self-control and I would inevitably open them up for a huge loss.

4 Likes

A few years ago when Base 1st was 50k, and Base unlimited was $2500, you could snag 20 unlimited boxes for the price of 1 first edition box.

In today’s dollars that would cash out to around $80k if you sold your 20 boxes at 4k a pop.

The first edition box would unload quickly at 80k probably. No telling how much it’s actually worth right now though without some sales figures.

!st edition is looking like the better choice based off that math.

(However, if my price timeline is off, base could have been $1300 at the time the 1st was 50k. That would be $153k total sales)