$1000 on a Base Set Booster or....

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to buy some sealed 1st Edition WOTC packs, and I’m wondering if I should just buy the base set for 1000 (and that’s it) or diversify into other sets.

What are your thoughts?

If I should diversify, what sets would you recommend?

Depends on which sets / generation of pokemon you like most? I say buy what you have the most interest in.
For me it is gen 1 as thats what i grew up with.

My favorite is always going to be everything Gen 3 and previous. (i.e. anything WOTC haha).

I guess what I’m really asking is, should I buy Base Set now before it skyrockets?

I was in the same boat when I first started collecting. I didn’t know what I really wanted so I bought a few modern and a few WOTC sealed products. I wound up selling all of my modern product and have been inching closer and closer to all the base set first edition stuff I can. I think anyone interested in WOTC product will always eventually wind up at first edition base set, just depends if your wallet wants to cry now or later :grin:

2 Likes

Buy what you want that meets your collecting goals.

If you’re asking which cards to focus on in out of your goals, in general you’re going to want to buy the most expensive/older product. They’re the most targeted items that are most likely to increase in price or become increasingly more difficult to obtain. That’s a broad brush example for the market in whole as there’s intricacies within the market that are going to make some product increase/decrease, but there’s your baseline answer.

1 Like

I think the prices are higher for the Charizard pack so get that one. Then the others in all three editions of Base Set would be a smart way to go.

1 Like

good question, are you going for what will make money or what you love? I collected a lot of the 1st edition packs, for 1k you could get a few nice 1st edition sets, I would personally go the neo sets in 1st edition and try get them all neo gen, discovery, rev and destiny you might get close to getting the first 3 sets for 1k mark maybe but neo destiny are not cheap.
or you could go a set of shadowless and unlimited base set and maybe jungle and fossil.
Start from the start and move forward, id rather a more than just one pack but its personal choice :blush:

What’s that? I should buy 2? Haha

Im not sure what your saying @collector91 ? im saying yes buy a few 1st edition neo series packs if your after wotc packs over just 1 base set 1st ed pack that you will be hard pressed finding at 1k anyways…

Oh I was trying to be funny (and failed), that I should get 2 base set boosters 1st ed (I’m considering).

1 Like

It really depends on your collecting goals and also your financial situation.

Will you be happy blowing all your budget on just the one booster pack? There’s a lot of product you can buy with that money. You could get a lot of booster/blister packs or even a lower end booster box like Base 2.

1 Like

Yeah, for sure.

I think that it’s a mix of nostalgia and financial sense.

On the 1 hand, it takes me right back to 1999, and I love that feeling. On the other hand, I know that sealed 1st edition base set is going to just keep rising quickly because they’re not making any more and supply will only consistently deplete.

However, there are other cards I’m chasing like PSA 10 Gold Star Umbreon, Vaporeon, and Flareon for example.

I guess my logic is that I have time for those graded cards, but I’m prioritizing the sealed because it’ll most likely increase in price faster (so I should do it now before it’s beyond my budget entirely).

But let me know your take on it.

Maybe I should do a mixed approach and go after other boosters/graded cards.

1 Like

if you want a 1st edition booster pack, can get it at a good deal and will regret not buying it in x months then buy it.

If you are happy missing it to buy other things now, and in the future paying more for the booster pack…then buy other stuff.

It is personal choice if looking at it from a collectors point of view.Future price is a completely different ananysis.