Warren Buffett's Hedge Fund Challenge: Modern Sealed vs Vintage Singles

Update now that Temporal Forces has released:

I went through and added portfolios starting at Sun & Moon as well as X & Y. I don’t think I have to tell anyone that these absolute blow recent returns out of the water…

Fake/wrong CAGR: (20628.98/4000)^(1/11) = 16.1%

Fake/wrong CAGR: (11052.99/2900)^(1/8) = 18.2%

These CAGR numbers are pretty far from correct and significantly underestimate performance, and still are absolutely crushing traditional investment such as S&P 500 (real CAGR 13.2% since Feb 2014 to today).

Here we are starting with Sword & Shield sets

And if we only consider starting with Scarlet & Violet

Currently, Pokedata only supports 4 portfolios, but in the future may support more. Personally, I consider “modern” Pokemon TCG to have begun in the Black & White era due to the inclusion of full art cards.

Pre-Temporal Forces Status

Sparked from this recent thread: Sentiment toward vintage Japanese cards: 🐮 or 🐻?

I was reminded of Warren Buffett’s challenge to hedge funds in 2008, S&P 500 vs hand picked portfolio of top performing hedge funds. He took the side that the simple bet of low fee (index) S&P 500 would outperform the very best, expert selection of hedge funds at the end of a 10 year period. Read more: Buffett's Bet with the Hedge Funds: And the Winner Is …

They bet $1M, Warren Buffett won. I don’t have $1M, but I would still like to make a similar bet. I think that a “dumb” portfolio of modern, sealed booster boxes will outperform a hand-selected portfolio of any combination vintage + modern sealed + singles.

PokeData.io has introduced their Gold feature, which enables automatic tracking of multiple (4) portfolios, which can each have their own public link.

The first benchmark is 1 of each booster box starting with Sword & Shield: PokeDATA - Track your Pokemon portfolio!

Current principal: 16 boxes purchased at $100 each “on release”
Lazy, incorrect CAGR: (2623.95/1600)**(1/4)-1 = 13.2%

Some may consider that unfair, since certain Sword & Shield sets have already produced great returns after relatively short time. In that case, consider the second benchmark, 1 of each booster box starting with Scarlet & Violet: PokeDATA - Track your Pokemon portfolio!

Current principal: 4 boxes purchased at $100 each “on release”
Lazy, incorrect CAGR: (373.86/400)**(1/1)-1 = -6.5%

My personal account has room to host 2 more portfolios, but I am not fully decided if those should contain “E4 Modern (SM+) Sealed” and “E4 Modern (XY+) Sealed,” or host some community agreed upon alternative hand picked selection. My original goal was to really compare to a portfolio of vintage singles, but I am far from an expert in that regard and don’t have any sort of consensus regarding what would be acceptable there.

Original Post

EDIT: The challenge has been broadened - any combination of any language singles + sealed vs “modern booster boxes bought at $100/box.” Since this thread started partially through Scarlet & Violet era, there will be at least 2 versions to consider: 1 starting with Sword & Shield Base, and one starting with Scarlet & Violet Base. Currently waiting on PokeData.io to allow multiple portfolios, and then will use that feature to track prices automatically.

Sparked from this recent thread: Sentiment toward vintage Japanese cards: 🐮 or 🐻?

I was reminded of Warren Buffett’s challenge to hedge funds in 2008, S&P 500 vs hand picked portfolio of top performing hedge funds. He took the side that the simple bet of low fee (index) S&P 500 would outperform the very best, expert selection of hedge funds at the end of a 10 year period. Read more: Buffett's Bet with the Hedge Funds: And the Winner Is …

They bet $1M, Warren Buffett won. I don’t have $1M, but I would still like to make a similar bet. I think that a portfolio of modern, sealed booster boxes will outperform a portfolio of vintage singles (raw, graded, up to you all) over the next several years.

I will start the portfolio with 1 booster box from each set in Sword & Shield onward, purchased at today’s prices. New sets will be added as they are released, with prices record as release price or $100, whichever is cheaper (customer isn’t going to spend more than they have to, and most booster boxes should be available $80-140 for multiple years on TCGPlayer alone, better deals elsewhere). One nice thing about this approach is that because it is purely buy & hold, it can be indexed and considered in fractional quantities, so that you can compare its performance to any price point vintage single collection you want. I am not an expert on vintage cards, so I leave it up to the E4 community to submit ideas for the vintage single portfolios.

When I figure out how to make prettier tables and such, this thread’s formatting will improve. Here’s a picture for now:

If there’s a site we can use to create + track portfolios automatically, then this thread can just maintain links to them and that would be nice. In the future with Pokedata Gold subscription I suppose, we will be able to use their site to track multiple portfolios: PokeDATA - Manage your Pokemon collection!

12 Likes

I’ll take this bet, but I think this would be more in the spirit of the “Warren Buffet Challenge” if it was one SWSH-on booster box vs a collection of any handpicked vintage or modern product, be it sealed or singles. I can think of a lot of modern singles, vintage sealed, etc. stuff I would bet on having strong long-term value potential in a “portfolio.” I’ll come up with both an “anything goes” portfolio and one of vintage singles only (which I personally define as pre-XY) and update this post accordingly once I’m done!

Ok, here is my attempt at picking a small selection of items I feel have strong long-term value potential:

And if I had to limit my selections to pre-XY set-based singles, here is a selection of singles I believe will have strong long-term value potential:

In both, I have included multipliers which indicate how many of the item I’d actually buy if I was building a “portfolio” and had unlimited money.

7 Likes

Ok, not to get into semantic arguments, but the way I was considering it was as follows. The S&P 500 has selection criteria, but is more or less “the US stock market.” I also have minor selection criteria (set must have booster box available), but want to more or less consider “modern English Pokemon sealed market.” That’s the reason I took 1 of each and not just a single booster box. I think it’s about as bad idea picking a single stock, card, slab, or set and putting all eggs in that basket.

Awesome, I’d be happy to open the challenge up actually to my rolling modern English booster box portfolio vs anything. You can include any language, singles or sealed, any ratios (as you’ve done), etc. Personally, I’d count “modern” to go back to Black & White, since inclusion of full art cards is really a big difference in my eyes. I’m sure in the future, others will consider Scarlet & Violet because of the change to silver borders.

I only went back to Sword & Shield because it is the latest “modern” era to be completed and prices have not yet gone crazy. Since I thought of using PokeData to track the portfolios, it will be a lot easier to manage in the future without hours and hours of manual data gathering + validation + entry. It will also allow me to maintain 3 variations of the modern sealed portfolio:

• Start at SWSH Base, prices from today onwards
  • Start at SWSH Base, assume $100 for purchase price of every booster box
  • Start at SV Base, assume $100 for purchase price of every booster box

I think this will be a fun thread to keep track of and update over the coming months (and hopefully years).

4 Likes

My apologies, I should have been clearer! My argument isn’t that we should take only one SWSH set, but compare one box of each SWSH set, as you’ve done, to a handpicked set of any vintage or modern items. We shouldn’t just restrict it to vintage singles. I think that is a better 1:1 comparison to the Buffet bet because it more accurately replicates “entire market vs hand-selected items.”

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. I updated the first post and plan to use pokedata.io to track the portfolios once they have support for multiple on a single account. I think this will be a fun thread to watch over time!

2 Likes

Very interesting thread. Want to track this as well

3 Likes

PokeData.io has introduced Gold which allows hosting multiple portfolios per account. I have updated the OP to contain links to 2 versions of the target benchmark and will keep the floor open to ideas for the desired vintage singles portfolio.

3 Likes

I like this idea but I’ll have to give it more careful thought because it’s tough for any singles to go up against sealed modern in today’s market

1 Like

In essence, that is my thesis and reason for this challenge. When Temporal Forces comes out I’ll update the OP with its inclusion, as well as 2 additional portfolios to track: modern starting from Sun & Moon, and modern starting from X & Y. I think by the end of Scarlet & Violet it will be interesting to compare the sealed booster box price trends starting from the 4 most recent eras.

If pokedata expands to allow 5 or more portfolios, I would really like to count Black & White as the “true” start of Modern Pokemon TCG. I know everyone will have a different line in the sand, but in my opinion there’s a big change as soon as you have the first full art cards.

3 Likes

Update now that Temporal Forces has released:

Here we are starting with Sword & Shield sets

And if we only consider starting with Scarlet & Violet

I do plan to create 2 more portfolios, starting from Sun & Moon, and another starting from X & Y. Currently, Pokedata only supports 4 portfolios, but in the future may support more. Personally, I consider “modern” Pokemon TCG to have begun in the Black & White era due to the inclusion of full art cards.

2 Likes

I went through and added portfolios starting at Sun & Moon as well as X & Y. I don’t think I have to tell anyone that these absolute blow recent returns out of the water…

Fake/wrong CAGR: (11052.99/2900)^(1/8) = 18.2%

Fake/wrong CAGR: (20628.98/4000)^(1/11) = 16.1%

These CAGR numbers are pretty far from correct and significantly underestimate performance, and still are absolutely crushing traditional investment such as S&P 500 (real CAGR 13.2% since Feb 2014 to today).

2 Likes

SWSH update: Astral Radiance is currently out of stock on US https://www.pokemoncenter.com/product/699-86023/pokemon-tcg-sword-and-shield-astral-radiance-booster-display-box-36-packs

2 Likes

What’s left from SWSH?

I checked briefly earlier and saw BRS, LOR, SIT and Battle Styles. I assume only VIV and DAA might still be there.