Waiting for your favorite species to get a new card

No new Starmies since 2019. I thought for sure we’d see one in Battle Styles since Starmie was featured in the DLC Pokédex and is historically known as a rapid spinner, which matched the set’s theme. But there hasn’t been a new Starmie since Hidden Fates.

This thread is a support group for species collectors or just fans with favorites. Depending on how broad your scope is, there may always be an alternate language card or print variant for you to hunt down even when new cards are not coming out. But no matter how long the road is, we all reach the end someday. And when that day comes, all we can do is wait. Who are you waiting on?

12 Likes

Nice thread idea! I would really like a new Bidoof card. The Diamond and Pearl remakes are coming out later this year so I think I can count on at least 1 new card. If there is one I’m really hoping it’s illustrated by Komiya.

1 Like

Deoxys, haven’t seen one in quite a bit, would love to see an alternate art V or vmax

6 Likes

I remember prior to the reveal of HG/SS there was a serious drought of Gen II Pokémon cards. That was one of the biggest indicators something was coming, actually, which was sort of unprecedented. But if you were a fan of Johto Pokémon you had quite the buffer period where nobody was featured. I hope BDSP has a tie-in set too because I’m a big fan of the Sinnoh evolutions.

1 Like

@kingboo64,

Now that you mention it, I’m surprised Deoxys hasn’t had a new card recently. Was the most recent one the tag team with Espeon?

If they did give it an alternate V, I think it should be one of the different forms. Hell, make an alternate V for each form.

To contribute to the support group: You could have it the other way, being an Eeveelution collector and Pokemon drops 42 cards at you at once (Eevee Heroes), and then constantly learning of other languages that cards are released in. It can be overwhelming at times.

3 Likes

God gives with both hands to Eevee fans!

1 Like

Try being an abra kadabra alakazam fan :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

I love Alolan Vulpix, but I fear a next card might be years away now that the Sun & Moon TCG era has ended. They’re not going to print random Alolan forms in sets for new generations, so it’d have to be some kind of promotional card, a set unrelated to a specific region, or a set specifically revisiting Alola…

Thankfully I have my illustrator collections to keep me going!

1 Like

No new buzzwoles since 2019 either :slightly_frowning_face: and I think it’s gonna end up being a very long time before we see any ultra beasts again in the tcg because of their innate ultra beast mechanics that are no longer applicable in the tcg

4 Likes

I’m waiting for a new Pichu release. But not for me, but for @pichufan instead. The last Pichu card released was on June 1st, 2012 (which was in the Polish Mysterious Treasures set). Looking at just English/Japanese it was in October 2011 in the English 2011 World Championship Deck - The Truth.

For my own personal collection goals: Pikachu and Seviper, I’ve been spoiled. Pikachu is obviously beyond compare (233 and 142 Pikachu TCG card releases in 2019 and 2020 respectively :unamused: )… But even for Seviper I’ve had some nice releases: there was one in the Burning Shadows set; there was a prerelease + prerelease STAFF SM promo; there was a shiny version in the Hidden Fates set; and now there is a connected Seviper + Zangoose artwork in the upcoming Chilling Reign set. Although I’d love to get a Full Art Seviper, I’m definitely not complaining in terms of quantity nor quality of Seviper cards, nor the rate they’re released in. :grin:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I want a shiny wailmer in the next shiny vault!

No neo Gyarados since 2019

That’s devastating. I forgot how baby Pokémon were basically removed from the TCG so fans of those Pokémon have been out of luck for coming up on a decade. Only Kadabra fans know this degree of suffering.

Some poor soul out there is waiting on more Bonsly, I bet.

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Bonsly_(TCG)

1 Like

Keep the faith! Chansey has not had an official “card” since 2019 either, but I am very grateful for the Textured Smol Chansey appearance in the Alt Art Blissey V. I had hoped desperately for Chansey to appear in the background art and thought maybe it was possible to match the new sleeves that have Happiny - Chansey - Blissey and my wish came true :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Aww 2019, your Starmie tears are cute. :stuck_out_tongue:

To add to what @quuador has already said, the last new Pichu artwork was actually all the way back in October 2009 with Japan’s SoulSilver Collection set. Pichu has featured on a couple of cards since (shameless blog article plug: pichu.blog/cards-featuring-pichu) but it’s been over a decade since the last new Pichu card was printed with new artwork.

Last September I put together a list of The first 251 Pokémon ordered by last Japanese TCG release and with the exception of Abra and Kadabra (which stopped being printed thanks to Uri Geller), Pichu is top of the list. There are a couple of later generation Pokémon which have even older last release dates though, so I can’t complain too much. I do get sad though looking at every new set only to find that no new Pichu cards have been printed and it makes me die a little inside.

5 Likes

Yeah, Baby Pokémon get no love at all unfortunately. Only Togepi, Igglybuff, and Cleffa had a shared artwork in Tag Teams/Team Up.

Happiny, Bonsly, Chingling, Mantyke, Tirtouga, Archeops, etc. are all Pokémon that are reasonably old, yet have only got three distinct artworks in the entire TCG. Yet they are all pretty solid and/or cute Pokémon designs imho.

Greetz,
Quuador

If Pokémon brought Dragon type back from the few grave, maybe we can convince them to bring back Baby Pokémon TCG mechanic. I’m not sure what your methods are, but I email TPCI regularly for the past thirteen years to request new Chanseys, I also make sure to thank and praise artists who draw Chanseys via social media, and generally try to push for Chansey every opportunity I get, such as commenting how nice it would be if Chansey gets a card whenever Pokémon posts about Chansey manhole campaign or Mister Donut.

5 Likes

Very happy to see Marill in Eevee heroes coming up. I think its been about 3 years since it was present in a set list

3 Likes

May we join you soon in the sun!