Venting my price negotiating frustrations

I’ve been in the process of negotiating a back and forth on a card I’m selling for a cash offer.

Recent sold listings are in the $2.7-$3k range with lowest on market being $3k. They put in a cash offer at $2.1k (70%) which is fine considering after ebay fees and paying taxes, this would be about what I would net (assuming you don’t report to IRS, not condoning). Lowest I’m willing is $2.4k which seems like a totally fine offer, collector gets the card they want at a lower price, I also get a higher end price. Win, win.

When I initially mentioned the $2.4k price and in a later message re-affirmed I wasn’t willing to go lower they kept bringing up how it’s a 4x cert and that I wouldn’t get $2.4 after ebay fees/taxes.

It’s like I am aware, and you also are aware my offer is also totally in a fair range, I could do without the sales pitch language. My guess it is something they plan to immediately sell rather than for their personal collection. I would be ecstatic to get $600 off market rate for a card I wanted.

Am I out of line? I think its just the constant justification of their offer amount in the way they are doing it that bugs the hell out of me.

4 Likes

This thread gets funnier and funnier every day

17 Likes

You’re not out of line. If you’re in the U.S., why not send it to the eBay Vault and then pay 0% in fees? You could list it at a lower level to attract buyers who are more pleasant than this awful one.

8 Likes

Honestly didn’t even know that was an option! Will check that out, haven’t sold since 2020.

6 Likes

Tells me everything I need to know about the “buyer.”

7 Likes

You are not out of line, there’s a lot of people out there that don’t know how to negotiate properly. Have seen this with both from buyer and sellers.

Just had a good negotiating with a card I just purchased for $1,850 after some back and forth. Last sold on ebay was $2.3k, seller listed for $2k. We talked and he was happy and accepted my offer.

Also had a not so good one, seller was listing above market, I showed hem last 4 sold comps and offered around 92% of the comp, they just said no.

What Dyl said makes a lot of sense for higher price items like yours, even you sold at the low end of the comp, you still be ahead :slight_smile: Best to just ignore the buyer and move on.

2 Likes

Here’s some instagram baller content. Looks like someone is a bigger gyarados collector than him.

24 Likes

Lol this. Pretty much sums up a days work on Ig

4 Likes

I don’t think there is anything that makes Metapod use Harden more than when someone keeps messaging you that your price is too high, it won’t sell for that and stuff along those lines, then someone just buys the next day.

3 Likes

Please tell me you sent that paid screenshot to him

4 Likes

YES! This is exactly the vibe I’m talking about. Literally trying to convince you so hard to sell at that price, not, then you give them the :moyai:

It’s also crazy because the guy Im taking with also excessively uses :call_me_hand:

No I haven’t. The less interaction with him the better.

4 Likes

I never understood this and honestly it’s just such a strange negotiation tactic

1 Like

Cmon who was it…:eyes:

You are dealing with a tire kicker, I would just block and move on.