Disrespectful Best Offer

During the last 4 months, the card was sold for $110-$130 on ebay. The seller has one for $199 or best offer. I want to send an offer of $130. As a seller, would you be offended?

2 Likes

I’m never offended by any offer…even lowballs. If I think an offer’s stupidly low, I just decline it and move on lol. And $130 doesn’t even sound like a low offer based on what you’ve described – I highly doubt anyone would be offended by it.

17 Likes

If he didn’t want to get offended by offers he would have auto-decline on

21 Likes

I just rise the price of the BIN listing

1 Like

I offered $1000 for a $2000 BIN card the other day and recent sales were at $1500-1600 and it was accepted lol, it doesn’t hurt to try.

16 Likes

I am new to this so I apologize if my questions seem to be common knowledge. I read about sellers blocking people and didn’t want that to happen. Is blocking actually a thing?

Yes sellers can block you from contacting them and bidding on/buying their items.

don’t offer $5 on a $100 item and you’ll be fine

3 Likes

Yes it is. But as mentioned, if a seller doesn’t want offers under a certain price, they can set it to auto decline. Don’t live in fear of people blocking you for low offers. Sellers need to get their listings in order if they are getting upset over low offers.

2 Likes

If the offer is too low, you will never get the chance to negotiate. As a seller, I don’t work with people who go too low as it shows they either have no idea what they are doing (and personally, I don’t want to deal with people like that) OR they just want a hand out…and I also am not in that business.

As a seller, I just don’t really care. Ignore the lowballs and move on. FOR ME, the really annoying best offer situation is when you offer like 5% less than the asking price on a “Best offer” and its Auto Decline. Why put the Best offer in the listing if you’re going to auto decline everything?

3 Likes

There are no offensive best offers, especially not in the deregulated free-for-all economy of secondhand Pokemon.

If charging 1000000% interest rate is some kind of entrepreneurial virtue, then lowballing is hardly a crime lol. And your offer isn’t lowballing.

1 Like

I love offering market value and watching the seller jump the price even higher than their outrageous price and then never selling the card. It’s a great move by the seller.

6 Likes

I just had this happen (8% less) and that kind of led me to this question.

1 Like

It’s shity and I hate it tbh. Means you don’t really want to sell.

1 Like

I think that’s a good starting point. You’ll find out if they are serious about selling it or not

Best offers are very low maintenance. As a seller you have full control over the autoreject threshold. There’s not really a good reason a seller should be upset over a Best Offer.

5 Likes

The Best Offer feature on eBay seems to be about ego for most buyers and trying to “elevate” themselves over the seller.
It’s rare you get a “good” interaction with a buyer over that feature.

Anyone that has Best Offer on can’t really get insulted with whatever you send - but it might help to explain your reasoning for the offer.

The Best Offer on eBay has got to be the most underrated feature in the entire hobby by far. I have had countless amazing results both selling and buying, from people accepting 30% of their listed price to others offering 5% below a double market listing.

Not once have I blocked anyone, altho admittedly I was close recently when I received multiple 10-20 dollars offers on a 5 figures item from the same guy. Ended up in a laugh and let him be.

3 Likes

I don’t really mine lowballs because you can just decline them or counter them with a high offer of your own. However, I do get annoyed when buyers argue over like 5 bucks. Like I’m already giving you a deal, do you really need an extra $5??

2 Likes

Just don’t ask “what’s the lowest you can do on this”. Those always get instantly ignored. No smart seller negotiates against themselves.

4 Likes