Value of Gengar + Umbreon vs Charizard

Hey yall.

I stopped collecting a while back so I’m kind of out of the loop right now and would need some help with valuing a few cards. I hope I’ve put this in the right section :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a holographic Gengar from Expedition and a holographic Umbreon from Aquapolis, both PSA 9. I’ve gotten an offer to trade them for a 1st ed PSA 9 Blaine’s Charizard. My cards do hold some sentimental value, but Charizard will always be Charizard. Should I do the trade or not? What would you do?

Thanks so much in advance :heart:

1 Like

I think the best thing is to look at comps for the two you have vs. the one you’re being offered and go from there.

The other thing to consider is if you want to trade your cards and if you want to have the card being offered to you. Do you like charizard? If so do you like it more than gengar and umbreon

Thank you for your reply!

Well, I haven’t found too many sold listings, but the trade value seems fair from what I can tell. I think I’m leaning towards doing the trade. I don’t really care too much about the Gengar, but letting go of the Umbreon will be hard. I think it will be worth it in the long run though.

To be honest, the value of the cards don’t matter too much to me. I’m kind of wondering what yall would do if the cards didn’t hold any monetary value.

This would be a bad deal on your end.

Umbreon Aquapolis

Gengar Expedition

Blaine’s Charizard 1st Edition

2 Likes

Just going off that graph, they seem pretty damn close in value for both sides of the trade, do they not?

About 1100-1150 on his side and about 1100 or so on the other side. If you liked the card you were trading for its just about even enough to seem like a pretty fair trade.

Ill say to OP though that if your current cards hold sentimental value, I wouldnt trade for that reason alone. If they were childhood cards or cards you pulled yourself, thats something you can never buy and I’d keep them for that reason.

1 Like

There is a small lag with TCGFish data. Charizard has been selling for at or under $1,000 recently. Umbreon is within $100-$150 of that mark alone and Gengar is worth more than that.

I wouldn’t do this trade if they were my cards.

3 Likes

agree with Dyl, not a decent trade, Blaine charizard is 950 -1050, and the combo you have is around 1100-1200.

Alright guys, thanks so much for all the input. Seems I’ll have to sleep on this one before deciding :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah I see. Im surprised a psa 9 1st ed charizard is selling that low but it just goes to show the difference in print numbers from early wotc to end wotc.

OP is right a charizard is a charizard but umbreon is pretty close if not about equal in popularity to charizard at this point and an e series umbreon with fantastic mitsuhiro artwork is hard to beat.

1 Like

By no means am I trying to sound here, but I feel like you answered your question. Those 2 cards have some sentimental value to you and that trumps the Charizard in my opinion. You mention that Charizard is Charizard, are you implying that if you traded for it, you would get more “worth”/money in the long run?

Not really, it’s more that imo Charizard has always been one of the coolest Pokemon out there and that the Blaine’s Charizard looks badass. What I meant by the “in the long run” comment was I might come to love that card as much as the other 2. The reason I created the initial post was to see if it was a fair deal and also draw inspiration from other collectors.

1 Like