Unlimited Base Set Alakazam, different color Holo Backgroun?

So I asked this over at reddit for maybe some information. Just got back into collecting and opened my old binder and found 2 base set unlimited Alakazams, one has the more blue colored background like from the shadowless/1st ed print runs, while the other has a purple background. Just wondering if anyone has an idea about why the colors are different, I checked around without too much luck, but its also hard to search exactly what I am looking for! Sorry if this is in the wrong place, figured it was correct.

Not sure if images are allowed, so here is the link…

i.imgur.com/U3QHsJp.jpg

Hi this happens a lot with many of the older cards.

With the cards you show, one almost looks light saturated, by sun, or general light.
The other looks like it was stored out of direct light.

I’m not 100% but I am sure that some prints of the base set, show slightly different colours for two reason:

1. Light saturation
  2. Printer was running low on ink, hence lighter tinges?
1 Like

I thought the fading as well, but the yellow borders haven’t faded at all. I was just assuming ink myself, or different print location.

This is pretty common. Different ink levels at time of printing leads to cards with slightly different coloring.

i have these same two cards. i am looking for the same information 7 years later and still not much about it lol. but i have these same exact two cards. one is extremely blue, like very noticeably blue. i clearly remember getting them in a trade when i was a kid, and putting them up because i knew something was different about the blue one. here we are, I’ve opened them up 18 years later, and im glad atleast one other person noticed this same thing.

ok, i have figured it out…there was a version printed known as “shadowless” that appears very blue with a bright pinkish glow around alakazam. it is a special rare, very cool. glad i kept all this stuff. its so much fun going through it all and remembering why i kept certain ones.

Welcome here @baregrillz, please note that bumping threads with a last post of over two months ago (this one was last updated in 2015) is against the rules.

1 Like