Umbreon/Espeon/Ursaring holo showing through — error or normal? (Neo Discovery)

Hi!

For my WOTC collection I’m not looking for error variants, I want the normal print with proper ink/opacity. While checking my Neo Discovery holos, I noticed holo bleed / translucency on three cards to varying degrees (pics attached).

Any input appreciated on whether this is normal or actual holo bleed errors. I thought I was done with my PSA 9 holo master set, but now I’m really second-guessing these :weary_face:

  1. Umbreon: Umbreon itself looks a bit translucent and you can see holo through it. Others reported this before. Is this normal for Umbreon, or would it be considered holo bleed (i.e., the standard version shouldn’t show holo through Umbreon)?
  2. Espeon: In certain light, I can faintly see holo through Espeon and through the text/border area. Normal or holo bleed?
  3. Ursaring: Strong holo visible through the complete card. This feels like an error to me, but I’d like confirmation.

1 . Umbreon:


2 . Espeon:




3 . Ursaring:

Holo bleed on Neo Discovery is not uncommon, but it is cool. I personally enjoy them a lot. CGC tends to identify them as Insufficient Ink Errors.

Thanks for your reply. Would you consider all three to be holo bleed / insufficient ink errors?

I get that some collectors find this look desirable (or like the “rarity” factor). For me personally, it feels like a defect, since it’s missing ink compared to the standard print.

They all look like standard holo bleed to me. Each individual has varying degrees on how much they appreciate holofoil patterns. The way I see it for example is that holobleed looks neat, but overall doesnt do anything extra for me. Its pretty, but I suppose the art matters more to me. Similar to how I perceive swirls, etc.

Nice cards you have though!

The strong holo bleed copies will shine through under normal light. The slight holo bleed copies will require a bright light like an LED and will look more muted. Like so many things in this world, it’s a spectrum.

Thanks everyone for the replies, really helpful.

I’ll be honest: I can be a bit perfectionist with my WOTC PSA 9 collection, and my focus has shifted over time.

  • At first I was fixated on nicely cut, symmetric corners and perfect edges/corners with no dings.
  • Later I shifted to clean holo surfaces: as long as the holo looked clean, I was happy, and I basically stopped caring about corner shape or small dings.
  • Now color saturation became my new focus: Holo scratches/corner wear became acceptable and don’t take away from the card’s appeal for me, but the card must be nicely saturated.

If a card looks lighter (border or overall print), my brain jumps to “sun fading / display exposure” or “weak ink / under-inked print,” and I start seeing it as a defect. Holo bleed triggers the same reaction, because it means something is missing from the card what “normal” copies have. I know many collectors love it and even pay extra for it. To me it currently feels like “not a proper & defective copy.”

How do you all handle this? How do you treat saturation differences / lighter prints / holo bleeds? And if you used to obsess over details and then stopped, what helped you shift your mindset?

The focus on colour saturation could get expensive since I own a lot of WOTC PSA 9s where some Fossil cards especially have lighter borders and overall saturation than others, and now I’m noticing similar stuff in Neo Discovery too. Replacing those with other copies could make me loose quite a bit money since cards got more expensive recently

There’s nothing wrong with the cards. Offset printing is not perfect so there will be all kinds of inconsistencies and variations. Saturation is one example since the ink will be slightly different between batches. The amount of white ink that ends up blocking out the holo will also be variable.

If it really bothers you then you may not have of a choice other than to replace it. Maybe you can find someone who will do a 1:1 trade. But as I said there’s really nothing wrong with the cards outside your own subjective feelings about having less white ink. It’s not an indication of damage.

Thanks a lot for the explanation and putting it into persppective. Thats definitely helpful. Your explanation about offset print variation spectrum helps me to put it in perspective. I’m trying to make peace with ink variations in general, so I’ll let this sink in a bit and try to be more relaxed about it.