"Holo bleed" error cards

Hi!
So I stumbled across a “Vaporeon Hidden Fates Holo Bleed error card”
I do love some “weird” cards, but can anyone tell me about the value of holo bleed cards? Is there maybe a specific card where a holo bleed is extra rare/valuable? (e.g: if Pikachu from set X has a holo bleed, that is worth x much!") Or is it in general a good idea to buy them? (if financially possible ofc.)
What makes these errors valuable and what makes them a “misprinted non valuable card”? Tia!

The only holo bleeds that add value that I know are the ones from Neo Rev, the rest are even more nitch idk.

2 Likes

:wave: Holo bleed enthusiast here.

@papafrankgod is right.

Neo Revelation has the most pronounced and desirable holo bleeds out of any set. 1st Ed holo bleeds are incredibly hard to find, so they fetch a massive premium. Unlimited holo bleeds sell for more than the normal variant of the card.

Depending on the species (e.g., Shining Magikarp, Shining Gyarados, Ho-Oh, Houndoom, and Celebi especially), holo bleeds may sell for outrageous prices.

Some Diamond & Pearl sets (i.e., especially Secret Wonders and Majestic Dawn) have strong holo bleed over the text of the card, and that can be desirable too.

Most holo bleeds after D&P are pretty niche and will not sell for much of a premium.

4 Likes

Man yelling at cloud: neo revelation “holo bleeds” are not holo bleeds, the holo is contained in the art box. Which is where the holo should be. Holo bleeds is if the holo is outside of the artbox, as is the case here.

There are a few sets where actual holo bleed fetches a premium, which are wotc sets, ex (sometimes) and evolutions. Other eras have too much holo bleeded cards for them to be considered “desirable”. Modern cards have a lot of them, with some sets having almost no cards without holo bleed. DP sets have a great amount of holo bleeds and they look nice, but since they are so common they normally do not fetch a (big) premium. But the level of holo bleed has a big influence on the price. Extreme examples pretty much always have a premium irrespective of era.

6 Likes

I contained my inner old man personally while reading the thread :jack_o_lantern:

I would say they are not holo bleeds because there is no “bleeding”, the layer design of the cards are just different

4 Likes

We must spread the word! I just get mildly irked anytime people call the neo revelation double holo cards holo bleed. Double holo is the appropriate term imo

4 Likes

But the holo layer is the same so double holo is not a good way to call them either

2 Likes

I’m going to go full old man here. There’s only one holo layer so double holo is also a misnomer :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I stand corrected, double holo is the term I use(d). How must we name them if all names are wrong lol

1 Like

I don’t see how Holo bleed is wrong as the holo shows more tru the white opaque layer as any other regular holo bleed, but here it’s in the artbox and the others is in the rest of the card.

1 Like

Holo bleeds and crimps flood my ebay search filter for error cards. I don’t see value in either.

It’s fun to go through cards and see if you can find these errors, however, so if you enjoy them then that’s great!

1 Like

Neo Rev “Missing Underprinting Layer Error”

aka MULE 🫏 (<- this will become a donkey emoji soon)

About underprinting:

2 Likes

How about no

2 Likes

Holo bleed is an appropriate term.

The holo layer is bleeding through the ink layers that were printed on top of it.

1 Like

By that logic, all holos are by definition holo bleeds :wink:

2 Likes

I took bleed als bled out of the art box, not bled through the ink layer. While it has the same cause (correct?), it has a different outcome. Should this be named the same? Imo there should be a distinction be the 2.

1 Like

Correct. Holos are by-definition bleeding through the ink. The severity of this bleed (normal → minor → severe) is what is in question. Neo Rev has the dramatic cases where portions of the white ink layer weren’t printed correctly on the art, so the holo bleed is particularly severe and not “normal” or “expected.”

2 Likes

I understand the frustration.

Personally, I just say holo bleed on the text (i.e., outside of the art box) when I’m referring to that type.

Now I’m really not trying to get pedantic but I’m not sure whether it was a “mistake” made while they were setting up the layers or if they just changed their minds on how it should look after the first print run. It’s always been one of those unanswered questions in my mind.

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered this too. It absolutely could have been an artistic choice.

But if that is the case, when/why was it changed?

insert conspiracy theories

“Holo Bleeds are the first print of Neo Revelation!”

1 Like