Help checking if my Neo Revelation 1st. Ed. Holos are the double holo variety

Hello! I’ve read the guide here on how to identify Neo Revelation double holos. I didn’t realize until today, but actually I do own a few in 1st edition. There are a few that I’m still not quite sure how to tell if they are double holos, particularly the Shining ones. I added some pics below. The resolution is pretty high, you can zoom if needed.

1. Ampharos - yes? no white outline
  2. Blissey - yes? no white outline
  3. Celebi - no? I think the double holo version is supposed to have a lot more stars in the lower right black area
  4. Crobat - yes, this one matches the holo examples I’ve seen well
  5. Deliberd - I think yes, I see some holo stars on Deliberd’s body
  6. Entei - yes? very hard to tell the difference, no white outline?
  7. Ho-oh - no, doesn’t have the prominent bleed
  8. Houndoom - no, same as above
  9. Jumpluff - no, I can see some white outlines around it

1. Magneton - no, same as above
  2. Misdreavus - yes, the eyes
  3. Porygon2, no, can see some white outline
  4. Raikou - yes? very hard to tell, no white outline?
  5. Suicune - yes? very hard to tell, no white outline?
  6. Shining Gyarados - no? I think the double holo one has more stars?
  7. Shining Magikarp - no? I read that the other Magikarp in the picture should be not too visible.

I would have thought that having a double holo layer should mean you can see stars like crazy, but many of the affirmative ones in the guide just seem to have the same as the single holo version.

2 Likes

Your Magneton, Misdreavus, Porygon2, and Shinings all look like the double-holo for sure, nice copies!

2 Likes

Oh my, these pages look FABULOUS.

Yeah most of these are double holos. It’s not about the amount of the stars as much as the density of the foil, and in particular when certain segments that shouldn’t appear holo at all are drowned in it. The karp is among the easiest to tell. Here’s a regular compared to a double:

The dark gyarados is double as well. The regular looks very flat, the holo itself.

Whereas yours is super dense with the holo.

You are correct about everything except magneton (hardest to see without clear pics) looks like it’s indeed a double, and the shinings.

1 Like

Double holo is a misnomer. There is not actually a second holo layer printed with these cards.

The ones that are always most apparent to me are: Celebi, Crobat, Ho-Oh, Houndoom, Misdreavus, Shining Gyarados, and Shining Magikarp. Of those, you have the Crobat, Misdreavus, Shining Gyarados, and Shining Magikarp. Graded holo bleed 1st Ed Shining Gyarados and Shining Magikarp go for quite a lot of money compared to their non-holo bleed counterparts.

How shocking! I didn’t expect to have so many :scream:. I think I know what happened though. Back then I used to buy most of my cards from a single small online seller. I checked my email records and almost all the double holos (except Entei, maybe I got lucky there) were bought from him.

Would you believe I paid $9.99 for Shining Magikarp and $16.99 for Shining Gyarados in those good old days :cry:. I’m not planning to sell anything soon but I will definitely grade them if that day comes. I guess PSA doesn’t usually recognize any kind of holo bleed as an error though?

Thanks. I read that whole topic though I’m still not 100% on what makes the ‘double holo’. It sounds like the Neo Rev cards are missing a layer during the printing, which makes the holo look deeper? If so I’m not sure what causes it to be prominent on some like Crobat, but barely detectable on others like Entei/Raikou/Suicune?

2 Likes

It’s hard to know for sure.

Either the cards were designed differently on purpose, were accidentally missing portions of the white layer, or the problem was caused by issues with ink layer thickness and opacity (i.e., thin ink or less opaque ink would lead to holo bleeding through the CYMK ink layer).

The only reason that I mentioned ink thickness and opacity is because we have that exact problem on the opposite end of the spectrum (i.e., mirror/no shimmer/no sparkle holos).

It’s more prominent on certain cards because more of the background is non-holo (i.e., with a white core layer). So when that background turns holo, it’s more dramatic.

2 Likes

I would believe, that, because I remember them as well! I got most of my neo cards at those prices too. Funnily enough, back then, there wasn’t a much a disparity in value in the shining cards vs regular holos. All of 'em were less than $20. :face_exhaling: (but I also didn’t know about the double holo at that time, so I only acquired the ones I wanted many years later, for way higher a price!)

No PSA doesn’t label the neo double holos. It doesn’t matter at all though. If you ever wanted to sell them, you would easily just write that in there and all the fiends in the bushes would come out and ravenously fight tooth and nail for them. A lot of people even scour the listings looking for these particular ones, even in the event that someone didn’t list them properly. I know I prize my karp as one of my favorite wotc cards. They’re so much better in this version.

I have just created this image to help clarify how this “error” happens

The colour ink is printed right on top of this initial white layer

9 Likes

Incredible! These are my favorite “errors” in the TCG. The 1st Edition are much more scarce than their Unlimited counterparts too. Great collection here.

3 Likes

THEY’RE BEAUTIFUL :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Best subset of cards

3 Likes