Tracking English Booster Box Prices

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to make a spreadsheet to keep track of the price (ebay lowest BIN) for all English Booster Boxes. I thought this would be a nice idea to have an easy way to make growth rate calculations on these. For now I was thinking of taking prices twice a year, although 4 times may be a better plan.

I’m especially a noob when it comes to WOTC stuff, and probably value on ex series boxes too, so I would love for anyone to help, as we can all use this for future reference :blush:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WmOlp4mFN3qDA1oTiAutJccz3tms7m2WgdGFUKHN-4Y/edit?usp=sharing

Any feedback and help is appreciated!

2 Likes

Definitely would be an interesting resource to have, and I wish one existed from 1999 to date. It would be amazing to see.

Tough task here though as many boxes aren’t listed around the clock on eBay and there are short windows of time where a few come up here and there. You would have to be looking all the time to really find them all. Even then, the prices vary a lot for such scarce and thinly traded items, especially the ask prices. I am not sure the lowest buy it now really captures the essence of the real values, since in the past two years or so I have bought about 50 of the initial 60 or so releases myself. Of those, many came at auction and were had at a fraction of the lowest buy it now at the time. Also, I bought many buy it nows OBO for well under the ask price as many of the HGSS, Platinum and D&P era boxes from the middle years not many people are looking for. If it would help, I have actually been planning to make a spreadsheet of my own with my actual prices paid and dates of transactions for every box I have acquired towards my goal of opening a box from each set. I could send that along to add in when I finish it, but I’m not sure if you want to go back and time and it would lead to many different columns kind of creating a mess as clearly I have transactions from dozens of different days. Either way, this reminds me of the fact that I want to make it for my own reference anyways, and I will likely try to get that done in the next few weeks.

My intentions for the values in this spreadsheet were from the perspective of an investment I suppose, where the amounts listed are what you should expect to be able to sell for, to use for ROI calculations. I think it would be helpful for you to have a separate spreadsheet, and yours would be more like, how much you should pay for the boxes, and mine is how much to sell for, not sure if that idea appeals to you, but this information would be great to have for later. I get how time consuming this is, which is why I was only planning to do it 2-4 times per year, and I could definitely use plenty of help from other members that know the prices of older sets better

nice stuff. thanks for the resource

Updated with all English sets, anyone can give suggestions if they think the numbers are off (the amounts are based off what you should be able to sell for now)

Reverse holo TV Reporter is really expensive if you happen to get one in mint condition, first production batches didn’t contain it at all.

2 Likes

Woah you ain’t kidding lol trollandtoad has the normal uncommon for 49c and a played reverse holo for $72!

Yeah it’s one of those cards people tend to forget, mint copies would certainly be $100 or more.

2 Likes

Really cool guide, thank you very much!

Thanks, its still very much a work in progress, as it will continue, but I also hope people can chip in, because I haven’t ever bought a booster box after it is out of print. So prices are ebay low/sold listings of what I could find

Tip: Download “visualping” extension for google chrome and set a browser alert on sold pages on ebay for “pokemon booster box”. That way you don’t have to do the checking yourself :blush: .

I really like this. Good listing of prices. As @viral says, use Google notifications (or extensions) to keep sharper tracking on prices. Maybe do a smaller interval. Every 6 months is to long for some boxes.

For readability I would suggest adding symbols ($-sign), right decimal spacing and do some remarks if prices are unknown/unsure. Finding exact price for Base 1st box is hard, so making a remark behind price statement or just mark it with an asterix (*). And eventually, with enough data you can do a graph, which is always nice for price tracking (like: www.mtgstocks.com/))

Keep up the great work, mate!

Did we get the July values? :wink:

Had quite a busy summer, didn’t get to it :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ll try for this winter, I was hoping it would catch on, and people who actually buy/sell boxes could add their data, because I only went off public ebay listings, and I’m not even in the market for boxes

2 Likes