Topsun 1995->1997 update officially happening with PSA. 1996 Bandai Carddass = The TRUE ROOKIES!

Hey all, some very exciting news to bring to the Pokémon card collecting community today. This is also a project I’ve been working on with PSA for over 2 years at this point. I can finally say, “It is HAPPENING!”

Per my conversations with PSA, the update to correct the Topsun Pokémon card set from the year 1995 to 1997 is officially happening later this month.

For those that know me, this is something that I’m very passionate about and I’m very happy to announce that the last domino is about to fall. I know not everyone cares about the non-TCG niche of the hobby, however, for those of us that do, this is incredible news!

This last domino of PSA correcting their slabs will now put PSA, BGS, CGC, PWCC, Goldin, & Heritage ALL on the same page of recognizing that Topsun is from the year 1997 and not 1995. This has been a huge hurdle to get everyone on board and I gladly thank everyone that I’ve worked with from the different companies in getting this all sorted out.

Here is my email with someone that is high-up at PSA. Identity has been hidden, but just wanted to share the news coming directly from PSA themselves.

Furthermore, this will finally recognize that the 1996 Bandai Carddass set is the FIRST Pokémon cards to ever release and the TRUE ROOKIE CARDS of the hobby! Had to share with you all and much love.

Thanks so much,
Max

36 Likes

Awesome news!
Thanks for all your hard work behind the scenes!!

1 Like

Thank you my friend!!! :pray::pray::pray:

I probably will be smiling for the next couple of months because of this LOL.

1 Like

Congrats! took long enough!

1 Like

Amazing work! Thank you for all you did to help make this happen. I know many of us here will be very happy with this news

1 Like

As someone who doesnt care about this niche at all, I can definitely respect the effort! :handshake:

7 Likes

Good to see you here, Max. Thank you for your work on this and hope you’re doing well! I know it’s been a long standing effort for ya.

2 Likes

Great work…….long overdue!!

2 Likes

You all are too kind!!! :face_holding_back_tears:

This meme has essentially been my life since joining the hobby lol

And long time Azul! Hope you’ve been well my friend! :saluting_face:

13 Likes

Regardless if people collect it, it’s still a a big W for all collectors. If you work hard enough and you’re patient, you can achieve anything.

Great job!

3 Likes

Appreciate the love from other collectors in the space who aren’t in the non-TCG niche :saluting_face::pray: thank you for your kind words!

Honestly at the end of day we are all working together in building and growing this hobby ! :heart:

2 Likes

Awesome work! :fire:

2 Likes

Really great news! I’m sure it will take time to change people’s minds who have based their knowledge on old psa labels over this but the road to that has begun. I’m also sure there will be some that never change their opinion over this topic but that’s just how people work

2 Likes

True that!!! The great news is that now all of the major auction houses are on the same page and most will even list Topsun cards with “1997” in the title / description when selling PSA topsun cards despite the labels still saying “1995.” I may shed a tear the first time I see a correctly labeled Topsun slab with the 1997 date officially on it lol :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

This is massive! I remember doing a call with the second place bidder for the 493k Topsun Charizard that went with goldin. He was emphatic that it was the first charizard released, since that is what goldin and every sports collector was regurgitating. That guy had no idea that he was the true winner of that auction by losing it!

Anyway, thanks for getting this done! It’s a huge net positive that I’m sure took a lot of work and time to achieve! :pray:

16 Likes

So when can i officially make carddass listings where i plaster ROOKIE in all caps in the title?

6 Likes

Thank you so much for all your kind words. Wow!!! That guy lucked out big time, what a HUGE relief, my god, I couldn’t imagine…and now it’s really looking like it was April 1997 when Topsun/Top-seika released their first card set.

In all honesty, I feel like it makes so much more sense that “Bandai” a huge toy company manufacturer/distributer would have Pokemon cards released around half of a year earlier than Topsun / Top-seika (a candy company) lol.

The pushback I received and still have been recieving has been immense, but I know the more I speak out and am vocal/make a scene, the quicker it could be corrected!!

Really appreciate your kind words my friend and thanks for sharing that story!

7 Likes

5 minutes google search and he could have saved 400k usd, some people are no brainers but I guess 400k for that person is not relevant at all

5 Likes

Lets go!! Fantastic job my dude!! This is a big W for the hobby.

2 Likes

oh wow, didn’t know '96 carddass predated the tcg! congratulations, this is awesome!

2 Likes