Topps Chrome Exclusive Preview Trading Card Sheet

Hey all - was wondering if anyone had any background on the Topps Chrome Exclusive Preview Trading Card Sheet. I am also wondering if anyone has the complete set of these? It does not seem that all 150 characters were captured on these uncut sheets but it is hard to tell due to the limited availability and lack of info out there. Anything would be helpful!

Hi @cardstockpile! I can help you out. 2000 Topps Chrome Pokemon T.V. Animation was released in two separate sets: Series 1 and Series 2. PSA doesn’t differentiate in them in the pop report, but S1 features #1-78 of the Pokedex and S2 features #79 - 151.(Mew is included in the set.)

There are a total of six different preview sheet layouts. The following Pokemon exist in the very center of the 9-card uncut sheet:

Charizard
Psyduck
Sandslash
Wigglytuff
Rattata
Ivysaur

The sheets were provided as promotional materials for hobby shops and other Topps dealers. In addition to the base chrome sheets, two rarer variants exist: Spectra and Sparkle. I believe they were handed out to Topps’ larger wholesalers. The Spectra preview sheets are quite rare, but they pop up a handful of times a year. The Sparkle preview sheets are borderline apocryphal. I’ve seen just three in total (Charizard, Ivysaur, Sandslash). I have no idea how many Sparkle preview sheets were produced, but it couldn’t be more than a handful of each given that only a few have surfaced in 20+ years.

Hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any more questions. Topps Chrome Pokemon is my favorite product and I’m aware that there’s very little concrete information about it online.

4 Likes

@rarity this was super helpful and greatly appreciated! Just one more preview sheet for me to complete the set. Will have to keep an eye out for the sparkle and spectras.

A few popped up on ebay today it seems from coins n rarities : www.ebay.com/itm/275065319074
www.ebay.com/itm/313793726770

@rarity Hi there— curious to know if you could speak to authenticating a sparkle preview. I just found/ purchased one and you are one of the only people I’ve seen online with any knowledge on this… thanks!