Topps Pokemon cards collections, where art thou?

Hello karptastic ladies and gents!

I was wondering if anyone here is into collecting Topps Pokemon cards? If you are into this dark and looked down upon corner of Pokemon collectibles, please share your collection! I would love to see. There are some gems amongst the topps cards and I am still looking for a whole bunch of them as well. Topps collector’s unite!

Have a splashing day, karp!

@richiel1991 i think is into topps.

1 Like

Yeah, I have been a long time follower of his youtube channel! I recently inquired about his chrome topps collection. It seems to be on hold for now. Those cards have quite the price tag to them. I’ve only got the basic chrome ones and one tekno chrome card but that’s it when it comes to dem chromes (no spectras, no sparkles). Trying to find them in Europe is a huge pain as well.

What are these chrome cards you speak of, enlighten me.

I have a small collection of it, I collect Series 1, 2 and the First Movie :blush:
Really love the artworks on the cards, and Topps was probably the set I opened up most as a kid so they’re really nostalgic for me too :grin:

I have all the Gyarados ones I believe. I also have some Topps cards still if people are looking to trade/purchase. Including two Charizards. Range from played to Near Mint as I’ve had them for years.

As far as I am aware Gyarados was featured twice on Topps cards, once in Series 3 and once in Chrome Series 2.
In total there are 7 different variants.

Series 3 Gyarados prints:

• non-holo
  • silver holo
  • rainbow holo

Chrome Series 2 prints:

• basic chrome
  • spectra chrome
  • tekno chrome
  • sparkle chrome

I have attached pictures of the basic chrome Gyarados below, so you can check if you have it @azulryu !

Tag for @hazard24 by request! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@shiningkarpkarp thank you! I have the non-holo and silver holo from 1 and the basic chrome from 2. Didn’t realize I was missing so many!

1 Like

Topps Pokemon Chrome Series 1 cards were produced in 2000. This was later followed by a Series 2, much harder to find. The two series together contain the exact same Pokemon characters as the original TV animation edition series (1, 2 and 3). Chrome series 1 contains numbers 1-78 and Chrome series 2 contains numbers 79-151 (ending with Mew). The difference with the Pokemon character prints from the original TV animation edition series is the enhanced chrome-like finish of the cards.

There are in fact 4 different chrome finishes/variants of each card in both sets: basic chrome, spectra chrome, sparkle chrome and tekno chrome. Each booster pack contains 5 cards, 4 of which will always be basic chrome and 1 of which may be one of the other chrome types. A booster box contains 30 packs (example can be found here on ebay). The following pull ratio’s apply:

• 1 out of 2 packs contains 1 spectra chrome (15 per box)
  • 1 out of 10 packs contains 1 sparkle chrome (3 per box)
  • 1 out of 15 packs contains 1 tekno chrome (2 per box)

As you can see the sparkle and tekno chromes are crazy rare, even more so for Series 2 since boxes of that set are enormously hard to find. If you want to see an opening of a Chrome Series 1 booster box, I’ve put a video from @richiel1991 below. Very informative video and some amazing pulls!

1 Like

Any links to a visual of the different chrome types? the topps sets have always confused me.

2 Likes

Sparkle

Spectre

Tekno

**Not my scans**

They also say on the back which type they are, for the chrome series that is. I never got around to collecting these sets, but I did have pretty significant amounts of the others. My favorite was the Johto Series 1 set. Those seem to be the rarest because I can’t even find any info on some of the chase cards let alone find many for sale.

4 Likes

Yes, the artwork is fantastic! Do you collect all of the different prints from Series 1?

@shiningkarpkarp No I don’t! I just wanted to get the sets complete with every different card, so right now it’s a slight mix of prints :blush: Collecting every print and foil is quite an insane task, but I admire those who manage it :grin:

2 Likes

I have a great Mint Topps lot stuffed into a 6" binder with no duplicates. A couple thousand cards I’d guess. I believe every set is represented though there are some holes I think. I just lost interest in them 15 years ago so haven’t touched them since.
Hard for me to help here though cause of the time involved to mess with them digging and researching etc. I guess I would sell the whole binder either blindly or if a local customer wanted to come over and check them out.
Maybe if and when I dig them out I’ll take some pictures.

4 Likes

I’d be interestedddddddddd

@samsamsamsmsms did a BUNCH of research and work toward completing a TOPPS set.

He got out of the hobby, but maybe is still around every now and again and will see this tag?

1 Like

i love the look of the chrome cards, gunna try and avoid them though as it would be opening a pandoras box with my ocd

2 Likes

It would be indeed. I believe at the moment there is only one person in the world who has a complete master set of Chrome Series 1 and 2 (last time I heard she was very near to completing it, missing just a few Tekno and Sparkle cards). If you ask me, the Tekno Chrome Charizard outperforms the 1st edition base set Charizard by a mile when it comes to rarity (and also beauty). Alas, it was and is not nearly as popular/much collected and it surfaces way less frequently.

4 Likes

I gonna finish updating the guide here as I sell off what I have

1 Like

Are you quitting collecting Topps cards?