Thoughts on Lost Abyss Giratina V Alt Art Prices; Trying to Find Data on Graded Prices

Hi! What are people’s thoughts on the Lost Abyss Giratina V Alt Art’s price? Is the card worth picking up at its current price? Also, I was trying to find data on the prices for this card, whether graded or ungraded, and I could not find anything on the Price Charting website. Have any graded copies of the Giratina V Alt Art sold at this current time, or is it that not many graded submissions for this card have not been returned yet? I’m just having a hard time finding trends in prices for this card, so any input regarding this would be much appreciated!

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about that. Its a good question. Basically, there are two cards, that if you FOMO’d you came out ahead. Umbreon VMAX and Rayquaza VMAX. (Lmk if I am missing any others). Could Giritina do the same? Maybe.

Giritina is a gorgeous card, but honestly its not as popular a species. Kinda niche. Because of that, I don’t think it will have the jet fuel to propel it like Rayquaza and Umbreon, which are S-Tier popular species.

I’d probably wait a month or so…honestly I don’t think the price will go down too much. Maybe another 50 bucks max. Idk.

As some on this forum say, if you just wait a bit with new releases you may pay more or less but at least you know you’re getting the card at a settled price.

4 Likes

As for grades, all 25 Giritina sent to PSA have been Gem Mint 10.

2022 Pokemon Japanese Sword & Shield Lost Abyss TCG Cards | PSA Population (psacard.com)

Looks like one sold for $840. Don’t take too much stock in those prices.

PSA 10 Gem Mint 2022 Full Art Giratina V #111 Japanese Lost Abyss LOW POP | eBay

2 Likes

I am just constantly amazed how quickly people get cards graded and listed!

9 Likes

I bought this card on release week for $200 thinking my fomo move was a bad one. Didn’t think this may become an Umbreon situation. I think it’ll go down a bit over time but not by that much. The art really is unique and a stand-out even among the rest of the amazing alt arts.

5 Likes

Yeah, especially when you consider a Westerner sourcing the product from Japan, as opposed to his local Targèt.

4 Likes

It really does. I’m biased but the Gen IV alt arts for legendary Pokemon(Palkia, Dialga and Giritina) have done a A+++++ job of having artwork that tells a story about the Pokemon.

2 Likes

Have there been any AA cards that have plummeted in price? If not, I think that adds consumer confidence.

2 Likes

Much less popular mons have already bottomed out at $10-20 (Sandaconda V, Honchkrow V, Conkeldurr V, Galarian Perrserker V, etc). Arceus V settled to $60-70, after sitting at $120 in January (pre-Brilliant Stars). Mewtwo V is now showing decline. Playable AA’s will hold out for a while longer (e.g. Dialga, Palkia) but sets this year and some of last year are still receiving prints. After so many releases in the last year, I think it’ll be safer to determine where these sets end up once we’re knee deep into Scarlet & Violet

4 Likes

Agreed. Even in terms of Legendaries and Mythicals, it’s probably C-tier.

The following Legendaries/Mythicals are all more popular than Giratina:

Mewtwo
Zapdos
Articuno
Moltres
Mew
Raikou
Suicune
Entei
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Groudon
Kyogre
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Arceus

Giratina sits probably in the same league as Legendaries like Dialga (which is probably actually more popular), Palkia and Reshiram. Not bottom tier like Yveltal or Lunala, but not exactly a fan favorite, either.

The art is definitely fantastic, but I’m just not sure Giratina has the “oomph” to maintain its current price moving forward. We’ll see, though.

6 Likes

Thanks for your your help @zubat and @smpratte! When would you say more substantive, plottable sales data comes out for a set on sites such as Price Charting? After two months or so? Are there other sites that you use to track prices besides Price Charting?

2 Likes

Thanks so much @zubat!

2 Likes

It’s all up to you whether the card is worth it to pick up at it’s current price. I will say that in the few years of SWSH alt arts, the major ones have all been quite expensive at the beginning and don’t seem to come down much in price, if anything they go up. So if you’re betting on a future decrease, that might not end up coming to pass.

1 Like

Half of these are undeservedly more popular than Giratina lol, but nonetheless your point stands. As much as I love Giratina it just isn’t that popular simply because it’s from Gen 4.

2 Likes

idk, i’d argue giratina is actually quite popular. it may not stand compared to classic mons like mewtwo, or like Lugia, but i’d definitely say giratina is the most popular of the gen 4 legends/ mythicals. that’s my impression anyway.
regardless, im seeing box prices for lost abyss rise as well, so i’d like to think a potential restock and/or the english set coming out will take some heat off the card. i’ll personally wait until the english releases, i think things usually settle down as the english stonkers can go back to english