There are now over 1000 PSA 10 Charizard SV49 slabs

I personally don’t see a point in buying graded modern cards. I have a master set of hidden fates all mint 10 candidates in my binder. Print quality is so good. I happen to have two of the Shiny Zard. One I pulled. One I bought upgraded for $190 before spike. Sure 10s are great but I don’t see it being worth it when you have such a good chance at getting a mint ungraded one. Even if one comes back a 9 I don’t care. For Wotc or ex era buying a PSA 10 or 9 is a lot more ideal because there is none or hardly any mint cards from Wotc on the open market.

I dont get the point of this statement really. I mean base 1st zard could hit POP 5,000 and not fulfill demand either. It surely wouldn’t remain ~$75,000 or whatever or it is now though.

4 Likes

Meaning. You guys think anything above 200 is high pop. Let alone 1000. But compared to a world where millions of kids grew up with collecting Pokémon to now adults collecting. 1100 pop is not even close to high. Guarantee there’s more than 30,000 people actively/ and in future collecting hidden fates. So I can see it being 5000 pop and still selling for $2,000. This card is coming dangerously close to being the most iconic Charizard card of all time besides the base set.

3 Likes

I remember collecting in the Black and White era. If you told me then (after explaining what grading is because I didn’t know at the time) that there would be an English card with a 9:10 ratio that looked like this I would have laughed at you. In Black and White sometimes the 8:9 ratio was more relevant because the cards were just such shit quality. No content in this post I’m just amazed how far the quality has come.

3 Likes

That’s an objective bad take. Also a nice quality bait i must admit.

2 Likes

I think hidden fates is cool,
but for some reason the charizard card doesn’t do it for me…

1 Like

I like your optimism, but let’s not get crazy here

6 Likes

A $10 million market cap for a single modern card would be interesting. At what point does the bgs 10 get high enough in price that people will settle for the psa 10, and what point do they settle for the psa 9…it definitely seems the average hidden fates collector is younger than the average wotc collector.

1 Like

I’m not into it at all.

I see these being pulled daily, going straight into sleeves and off for grading. Every other day I see them for sale is BGS 10. For me the card has zero value and I’d much rather look at older WOTC sets where kids who pulled the holos played with them and finding good condition cards is a genuine hobby that takes time and patience to develop.

4 Likes

100%, I get the feeling we’re in an era of PTCG collecting that is re-defining rarity scales and levels of demand. The hobby has now become multi-generational (in terms of people who are collecting) for the first time since its beginning, when you couple that with a growing franchise I genuinely believe some of our conventional wisdom about collecting & pricing will be challenged in the coming years.

1 Like

What’s your definition of value. Ebay currently says $1500-$1600 USD, and a black label just sold for $5600 + tax & shipping.

Fair question. Personally, some sort of desirability or attraction from a collecting perspective which I’m just struggling with for this card. Financially, some sort of upside $$$ wise and with the majority of these cards going from pack to sleeve to post for grading there will be a constant inventory of these cards in 9-10 for the next year all at massively inflated prices. I wouldn’t consider that value.

I shared similar sentiments as you, until I finally decided this week to crack some of the tin cases I bought, and let me tell you 2k in, and no zard, and a lot of bulk and mediocre pulls. This Zard is NOT easy to pull… I expect this price to keep going up. Apart from a few people I heard of or know that got super lucky and pulled some one pack magic type of crap off like blisters or whatnot, almost everyone else I know who pulled one or multiple are DEEP in the red, it only makes sense the card is going to command a crazy price… not too sure why the black label is so high though I saw that earlier too.

1 Like

People pay lots of money for items that are rare, beautiful, and show off status.

People that would normally spend money on outdoor activities/socializing are now stuck inside and are spending that money on hobbies.

A black Charizard, with a ‘perfect card’ black label, a low supply, and high demand with a ridiculously difficult means of attaining one (low pull rates and god awful centering), and you have a perfect storm for a huge price tag.

I’m really interested to see how the new Japanese VMAX shiny set and the inevitable shiny VMAX Charizard will play out in the market.

Thing is there’s a massive supply for it. That card is not rare, what’s keeping it with those ridiculous prices is the demand which obviously is there but to what extend that demand is “natural” is what we will see on the long run. For example i have 4 of those charizards and i have no interest in grading them, i know several people in the same boat (at least 1 zard).

There are pages of pages of pages in ebay with that card for sale. The card in itself is not rare, just very popular (this by itself is a huge factor for it being a zard) but as i said, anything we say right now would be speculation (just like any modern set). On the long run, we will see how this goes.

Well yeah, the card isn’t, but I was referring to the black label copies which are in low supply.

Personally I’d flip my shit if I saw a graded black label Zard in person, and I bet a lot of other people feel the same way. It’s a very aesthetic combination to look at.

1 Like

There was an abundance of every card in the supply chain for the most part at some point right? Isn’t this everyone’s argument on this forum that they’re collectors and go after what they want for the purpose of collecting it and because they are attached to the card or the art or whatever, so it ends up in a binder or some type of safety deposit box graded, etc. What do you think the majority of 1st edition Charizards were shredded or used as cardboard to keep a fireplace going lol… no, they’re sitting in binders or boxes or they’re graded and same thing…

I’m telling you, I opened 2k of product at distributor pricing and from different batches and I didn’t hit a zard, and that’s fine, but the card is worth what its worth and will just continue to go up… the only reason there’s such a supply right now is because whoever is hitting the card, getting their grade, is just taking profits or cashflow back to reinvest or to pay something etc. I’m sure if someone tracked spikes in supply during every period of where a new set came out with a good chase card and factored in the average grading timeframes, factored in the messed up supply chain that’s notorious with TCG stuff, you’d notice that “off the rip” there was always huge amounts of deal flow and then it dies down… there’s obviously a reason everyone on this forum and any serious collector always says to buy the single (or the graded) because the hunt will cost you more, they’ve made their mistakes… and on average, the price seems cheaper than if someone went on the hunt both time (to locate the supply of this exact set) and the money and then the risk of not hitting a 10, etc. It seems like a solid investment piece by far

Curious on your opinion, so we all know base set is the most iconic charizard… whats the second most iconic?

1 Like

It’s kinda terrifying how how people use the word investment in something is not even a year old. But i won’t argue about that because there’s no argument to be made that can change that, the only thing that could tell is time. Hopefully all the speculators are well informed people with solid knowledge in economics and investments, knowing the risk they are taking.

My guess is Crystal Charizard or Gold Star Charizard. Then Shining Charizard and Dark Charizard. Just my opinion though.