The Ultimate Master Set?

Just wanted to hear all ya’lls opinions on what would be the best Master Set, and the aspects of said Master Set that makes it so great. Would it be the basic ‘one of every card’, the ‘every RH and H of every card’, or the ‘every variant of every card, including RH, H, stamp variants, prereleases, Staff versions, same artwork, etc.’?

For me, I think EX Deoxys would be amazing. Not only is it one of the most valuable sets out there, you have the top tier GSs, the awesome RHs, some of the coolest EXs, and stamp variants like the Stadium Challenge Deoxys. Even with how expensive it is, the uniqueness of it really makes it special and such a challenge to complete. Obviously, Skyridge is a huge one, with the money cards and the sheer amount of individual cards in the set.

What do you guys think?

ultimate master set got to be everything you said plus different languages

5 Likes

I’m slowly building my ex deoxys set. I feel that a complete set would enclude all cards, Rev holo, prerelease promos, and any promo card released with the set artwork. Also at least one sealed box of the set.

:wink:

3 Likes

+every card psa 10 as well
Lol

2 Likes

Every time Connor makes one of these threads the question is “what is the best card/set and why is it stadium challenge deoxys”. :wink: :blush:

6 Likes

same here. Except the box. Yes that would be awesome, but damn, theres no way I couldn’t open that damn box, even with a master set haha. By the way, are there no staff versions for the prereleases in the EX era? I can’t find any for them lol

LMAO such good conversations. Brings back memories, Scotty lol. Definitely not the best, but you gotta admit, such a cool card!

BGS 10 Black label in sequential order.

8 Likes

lol grading is definitely an aspect. Then which is the hardest master set to grade? Obviously Base Set is up there because of zard, but what others are notorious, as a set to grade send such?

Aquapolis is technically the largest set ever, including all rev holos and box toppers and such. But Skyridge is definitely worth more. I feel like grading should kindof be excluded from this master set business. The grading is a whole other thing. Eventually getting psa 10 sets of every set we have now will be near impossible, much like it is for base set. Plus you could get specific with bgs and that calls to question why psa 10s would matter for this question. Especially if we talk about deoxys rev holos, where every type of holo and rev holo will likely have warping, edgewear or a combination of both. I like what Jeremy said. Every version of every art, potentially including promos and rev holos and other languages (depending on how insane you are.) When I started collecting every set, I only wanted one of every artwork, so I sold/traded every rev holo I ever got (which was foolish but I don’t even care lol) If you grade, then I think it changes the answer a bit and also becomes harder to determine what set is the “ultimate” or priciest as Connor was saying. It becomes more along the topic of “which set is hardest to grade in psa 10” which is a totally different question. I think skyridge would be in contention for the top spot of ultimate master set, as far as just acquiring the cards in general goes. There’s just so many cards to get and every holo is at least $25+ now, along with a huge rev holo set.

3 Likes

yeah, I totally agree. I just thought why not throw grading into it to get a bigger discussion going, as it goes along with the collectibility and notoriety of certain cards, etc. But yeah, skyridge might take it, most certainly if grading is excluded, just because of everything you said, Joe. But like I said, certain variations of cards can make master collections of certain sets a whole new ballpark (aka Stadium Deoxys) haha. Just wanted to throw that in there for you, Scott.

Are there other sets that have really obscure and rare variations that make their corresponding master set super difficult? Just curious

1 Like

As far as “obscure and rare variations” goes… Forgot to throw in gray stamps for first ed base XD

Also, would you consider the base set to be all one set? Like is a master set of base set having all the first ed, shadowless and unlimited? Or would you consider them to be 3 separate sets at this point?

Thinking outside the box a little bit… What about a whole set that’s miscut or crimped? Or maybe a whole set that has each card signed by the respective artist as well? Imagine that for skyridge LOL

1 Like

EX Era sets with the goofy numbering changes that can be found on the cards. Don’t think the numbers carry over to the reverses though so that helps some:
www.elitefourum.com/t/pokemon-ex-series-serial-code-variants-lets-make-a-list/12831/1

1 Like

Bruh, plz no haha.

I think variations like miscut and such should only be denoted as a separate aspect of a master set if the variation is somewhat consistent, like grey stamps. And with Base Set, 1ed and the others should all be their own category. Including them all, plus grey stamps and such, would be beyond a master set, and be more like the ultimate collection haha. With Skyridge, every other variation, if there are any, would just be bonus, in my opinion. Plus, since you would know, are there any misprints you’ve seen for Skyridge?

I hate serial variants lol. So boring. Where’s the holofoil misprints or cigar stains haha

Ohh true true. I personally wouldn’t count error cards as part of a master set. Especially if it’s something like grey stamp where it’s an ink issue rather than an actual change in the manufacturing of the card.

But I suppose a true Base “Ultimate Master Set for all Eternity Super Duper Explosion” would be… 1st Edition (with thick and thin stamp holos). Shadowless. Unlimited. 4th Print. And! the Matte subset cards that can be found in Unlimited and Base 1st.

1 Like

My opinion is Legendary Collection is the hardest to grade. Reverse holos out of the pack get 8s & 9s along with the regular holos. A pack fresh non-holo rare submission I sent in had 80% 9s and 20% 10s.

Yes, the E-series sets are among the largest, however they are some of the easiest sets to grade. Card quality is way above the earlier WOTC sets. Without looking, I’d bet they have a higher PSA 10 percentage than earlier series. The cards are rarely off center, the reverses have a clean finish and come out of the pack nicely. It’s typically corner nicks that hold back these pack fresh cards. There’s hardly any edgewear either.

The answer would have to be a set with reverses holos due to a whole other level of difficulty with grading.

2 Likes

Thats a good point. That was one of the ones I was thinking of, too. EX Deoxys has really hard, specific cards to grade. The notorious GSs and the obviously infamous Stadium Challenge Deoxys, but LC, as a set excluding variants, beats EX Deoxys and Skyridge as sets. I believe some of the reverse holos are still in the single digits for 10s. Crazy.

thats what im sayin lol

1 Like

Fossil is tough too if you include 3rd print!

1 Like