The Giant Professional Grading Thread

Leave it to e4 to solve problems such as this :joy:…well done sir

1 Like

This is the “most e4” post that I’ve ever read.

4 Likes

Damn I got schooled on deez nuts.
I should have weighted one of my own cases instead of lazily using google.
Also I think I forgot one 0 during my calculations (factor of 10) so you are correct. An average peanut unshelled weights around 0.5 grams. So it would have been 100 million peanuts. Glad that the American Peanut Council was able to help with this one. Next time I’ll use the golden standard of the Virginia Super Jumbo, this happens to be my favorite peanut too.

Virginia Super Jumbo or not, 50 tons still is a lot of plastic!

3 Likes

new PSA site redesign! I’m probably the only one who noticed

3 Likes

I noticed, when I went to check the dominoes tracker for the 87th time today it took me a few mins to find it :rofl:

5 Likes

Is it the case that PSA rejects ALL boxes that are not new? I am getting slabs in return and I thought the big box (the one inside the shipping box) would be perfect to send cards to PSA with, anyone have experience, will they reject as it is re-use?

(no marks or tape from before)

When I started submitting to PSA I reused boxes and the never rejected them.
That being said I wouldn’t recommend shipping to PSA in the boxes you mentioned. They aren’t sturdy enough and if the box gets damaged in transit they will refuse the package for what I assume are liability reasons (the same goes if they think the box has been tampered with).
In my opinion it’s always better to use a new one.

How would you grade this card? It seems like it’s in good condition but for a white mark on the top left of the back of the card. No clue on centering/other aspects of the judging.

$15 Bulk is now standard. Love to see it

5 Likes

Bring on the $10 specials! $10 specials!

4 Likes

Lol every time

Kinda thinking about moving to SGC for my grading for my PC because of their new 15-dollar tier and super quick turnaround. Other than the fact that their slabs are ugly, I can’t think of any real downsides. Any red flags I need to know about?

I’ve never found an SGC slab that I’ve agreed with the grade. They always seem to overgrade Pokemon cards by ~1 point.

1 Like

I have no strong opinion whatsoever on sgc but I would say internal consistency of grading within a company is more important to me than external consistency between companies. Unless you’re just looking to cross grade, of course

2 Likes

I care most about whether I agree with a grading company’s assessment/grade. I find that my own standards align pretty well with PSA, so I tend to stick with them.

1 Like

Is that chicken or egg?

1 Like

My standards predated my interests in grading, and I tested out CGC and BGS too. Just found that PSA aligned more regularly (though never at 100%) with my expectations.

1 Like

Thx for the responses. I find that I tend to be a bit more generous with my grades than PSA or BGS. Maybe even CGC. I think for the most part (with exceptions, to be sure), I think PSA and BGS often tend to be arbitrary and may even engage in population control. As a result, sometimes cards come back a bit lower than I think most would agree they deserve in many cases. I’m hoping that tech like SGC’s will help with some of the undeniable cases of “the grader clearly had a bad day”-isms.

Hmm I have been wondering … many say that when recasing a card with PSA for the intention of getting the new label and slab with an older cert there’s still a chance that PSA can decide too buy out your card for what they think the card is worth if the grade doesn’t hold up too there standards nowadays and remove that cert # from the system.

I know their recasing service clearly says that they will not be regrading your card but is this true that PSA will do this ? If so that’s still a bit scary for those older certs of high end cards that could get there grade taken away :open_mouth: :thinking:

Just stumbled upon this Gold Star Gyrados which is graded a 2 but I can’t see why. What do you guys think?

Here is scans of the card as well from PSA
https://www.psacard.com/cert/72669044