日本のマーケット部分 The Giant Japanese Market Thread

I personally think that the price for a sealed box is a little bit pricey considering the contents but if you just want to buy the promo I think it’s a fair price from what I’m seeing roughly 140-160 from the last time I checked.

3 Likes

The same thing that always happens, JP will stay the same and English will sell for a significant amount more for no discernable reason

3 Likes

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJZhdi_-Tc

In that party of innocents is you and me my friend :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

YES! In honor of the start of this thread, I present a couple of my personal favorite Japanese GEMs

20 Likes

+1, if you buy Japanese Cards you also like pineapple on your pizza by association.

4 Likes

But Hawaiian Pizza is the way to go

2 Likes

I’m so excited.

3 Likes

Love that this thread is a thing now! Was a pleasant surprise after not visiting the site for a few days.

To be honest the legitimacy of that listing has always been in question. I’ve seen one other one, listed on eBay for a while, but I have a feeling it might have been the same one. And, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t any solid evidence to suggest this was how it was primarily distributed if at all.

In my experience most 2006/07 medals (that probably didn’t go to winners) came in sealed packs of 2 silver (2006 copyright) and 1 gold (2007 copyright). No clue on a distribution number either way unfortunately, but they’re not super rare.

That said, there is a variant of the gold medal that was given out in 2005 that’s quite a bit rarer than the 2006/07 one. It has no black star symbol, and a 2005 copyright date (PSA pop 5 vs 130-ish, for whatever that’s worth). I reckon that’s the more “prestigious” version of the card, with the last one that sold publicly on Y!J going for just over asking price of this listing.

7 Likes

Thanks for the thorough response, I appreciate it. My collection style has moved towards collecting these kinds of Japanese promos, especially the ones where a certain number of wins is required to obtain the card from a tournament. These cards check off a lot of boxes for me and I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw said listing. The plaque, if it were somehow the original distribution, still doesn’t offer the card enough as I want the card to have its own unique identity.

I’ll have to hunt down the 2005 variant, though. Thanks for the tip on that

3 Likes

Hey, there! I love this thread. I collect a few English sets and a few Japanese promos, so I get the best from both worlds :blush: Ever since 2016 Pikachu Festa I fell in love with the Japanese side of the hobby.

6 Likes

As a JP only collector I was waiting for this topic, well done !
Let’s show the world where Pokémon came from !

5 Likes

Thank you for creating this thread! I usually don’t consistently follow the other mega threads but I’m definitely going to read this one through. These are the first cards I ever personally sent in for grading late last year. I opened these myself from sealed product I purchased shortly after their releases. These cards are what made me a true believer in Japanese promos.

19 Likes

:chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_upwards_trend:

10 Likes

This thread looks more of a show off than a market discussion hahaha (jelly)

8 Likes

Golden shower tyranny is always a good investment

2 Likes

Amazing cards! A bit out of my price range now so I had to substitute :sunglasses:

6 Likes

For the Battle Tower I wish lol. I have 6 of em.

2 Likes

Are there any other examples of cards being distributed in screwdowns like this? Its nothing like the plaques awarded from other tournaments. It just looks like its been put in a screwdown to make it look more like a trophy card.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, but I have seen the Victory Ring (Pikachu), Mysterious Pearl, Victory Orb, and Champion’s League (photo) come with plaques that have standoffs. The screwdown, as you have pointed out, are cheap and do indeed look like an attempt to elevate a winner card to a trophy card. But, there may be an off chance that this card did come with a screwdown, which is what is claimed in the Y!J description of the Victory Medal.

3 Likes

It‘s very well possible that this 2007 victory medal case was made by a collector. I don‘t think that the 2007 version was given out in any case / plaque.

4 Likes