Pokemon collectors in Japan

Hey all, I just realized that I basically know nothing about collectors in the home country of Pokemon. What does the community look like over there compared to Europe/Australia/USA (- is there even a community like here on e4 for example?)?
What do they think about the Western Pokemon market?
Do they have other priorities/philosophies in collecting (for example less focused on condition and more on rarity or collecting more plushies etc.?)?
Do they collect Western cards at all? Etc. etc…

I’m well aware that with a generalization like “the Japanese” and “the Western” collectors there isn’t much room for nuance, but I’d just love to get a basic overview. Please tell me everything you know and deem worthy of sharing :blush:
Thanks!

7 Likes

I don’t think they like us very much for ‘helping’ the market, ahem, adjust prices due to the huge demand PKMN cards have in the US/CAD, specially for older cards and the crazy prices a lot of the collectors pay for them due to their deep pockets; Back in 2013 there was a blog basically blaming us western collectors and middleman services for the price hikes in a lot of cards:

www.elitefourum.com/t/uh-oh-busted/11337/1

5 Likes

I wrote about this back in the day. So much has changed since then, but basically the kids who bought Pokemon cards at my store back then didn’t care at all about the condition. The game was their priority. Which is why the no-rarities and promos that I bought from them were very rarely minty fresh! :rofl:

4 Likes

As I really only interact with collectors on Mercari, I don’t really have too in depth of an idea on how people here interact with the hobby, however, I’m hoping to change that a little bit. I’m thinking about trying to start a youtube channel over here where I use only Japanese though. I mainly want to practice my Japanese through it, but maybe see if I can establish some kind of point of leverage, that’d also be beneficial for me as a buyer/seller.

Either way, as far as I can tell, the rarity of the card holds more value to them than anything. In terms of content like American Youtubers, I don’t often see much talking about market forces in general. It tends to be more opening videos than anything. Then again, I also might just be really bad as searching in Japanese. I’ve tried searching pokemon, in japanese characters, but all I got was Poketoons, which is fantastic btw. With Yugioh, there are many little variants, and those variants all have sometimes quite drastic price point differences. Condition can sometimes be considered A LOT more harshly than in the states though. I recently just got some absolutely killer prices on some fairly rare and popular cards because they had “damage,” but when I looked at condition, while they might not be gradeable, they’re still pretty much a solid LP in my terms at least. No creases, the overall sheens were strong, the backs had some edge wear, but none of the damage was so drastic as for me to hate it as a binder card. These were priced at well below damaged prices. This is of course, store dependent, but this one store seemed to either not know what they were selling, or just wanted to dump the stuff.

With the semi-recent addition of PSA Japan, I’ve been finding more graded cards on the market over here which is kinda nice to see. Means that maybe I can get ahead of the crowd a little bit in terms of knowledge in that area. I would imagine this would also increase the need for pristine cards here though as well. In the same way as the Western market has kind of grown to have two fairly distinct market segments I feel. I have noticed more people listing items from Japan onto ebay though. So I imagine that the market is potentially realizing that they can branch out of Japan and make more by selling to the west. Physical shops still seem to be relatively distant form market noise in the west, prices are literally all over the place. Some stuff is way over market, I regularly see ungraded copies of the rocket 20th anniv full arts for like 6000 USD each. Vending stuff can be 600 yen each in one store, and in the bargain bin at another. I find Masaki cards tend to be just about on point with US market noise to be honest. In many cases, JP seems to be more expensive for them right now actually.

Of course, everyone knows about the recent insane waifu craze over here. Prices are significantly higher for those in japan than stateside. I’ve recently seen a few English FA female trainers appear here for higher than American prices. Not sure if they sold, but I saw them on my recommended stuff which is a first.

In regards to buying items online, NEVER trust a seller that say its “close to beauty products”. (美品に近い) too many times have I been burned. Many card sellers are miserable at condition descriptions in Japan. I just buy stuff if it’s a good price even if damaged. I will RARELY pay up for something that’s deemed mint. Even if I ask for more photo clarification and specifically ask the seller to check and report to me about any tiny dents or scratches, they’re still incapable a good majority of the time. I’m not trying to bash, just saying what I notice from the thousand+ purchases I’ve made in the last year.

One thing I’m INCREDIBLY(edit, I guess incredibly is a bit of an overstatement haha) worried about is when the borders open. Right now several cards shops have shut down in Akihabara, and Nakano Broadway has almost completely shut down the 3rd/4th floor, idr which one. As of now, trading card shops seem to be still going strong. However, Japan has bene pricing things differently due to the decreased tourism. So, when JP opens its borders again, I’m expecting the Western “BUY EVERYTHING” mentality is really gonna wreak havoc with the current Japanese pricing system. So my best bet is for everyone to buckle up because it’s gonna be crazy. Not entirely sure, but JP Prices might skyrocket when borders open. I know quite a number of people personally that are ready and willing to buy a ticket the moment Japan opens its borders again.

Sorry this was a heck of a write-up haha! I just started writing and kept thinking of things I have noticed over time. Anyone that has more knowledge, feel free to pick me apart haha! I’ve been relatively non-interactive for the most part, so I just see trends and that’s about it. That’s where these deductions come from. I also didn’t fully go through and re-edit everything, so I apologize for grammar mistakes and whatnot.

14 Likes

@pigeonsyndicate thanks so much for that write-up! Super interesting read!

I was already expecting them not to be too happy about price increases due to Western demand, haha.

2 Likes

Japan more or less marches to the beat of their own drum for now, but I think they will be changing tune in the coming decade(s). Everything in Japan is slowly shifting. Many of the younger generations are getting tired of the Japanese work system and what not. So I think that mentality shift is going to seep into other areas of the market as well, including pokemon. Of course it’ll be a gradual shift, but I do feel it’s inevitable for the barrier between Japan and the West to eventually dissipate. Maybe the card market will be a little ahead of the curve, and already is. I get the feeling that the people running many of the large TCG establishments are not 75 year old curmudgeonly old men. Just have to wait and see I guess.

3 Likes

A store opened up near me and it was selling PSA-graded sports cards but the Pokémon stuff was ungraded when I went there last time. Pretty cool shop, and the first time to see PSA stuff in a store, and all sports cards too. I would be very surprised if it can survive though. Does the average consumer going into a mall on the weekend really want this stuff? I don’t know. It will probably remain quite niche.

My feeling in Japan has always been that Yu-Gi-Oh is the more popular game compared to Pokemon, but girls are into the Pokemon TCG much more. I did see some teenagers playing Pokémon the other day, but usually when I see kids playing a card game, it is Yu-Gi-Oh. Pokemon TCG always felt the less popular game, and maybe still is in some ways, even though it is flying off the shelf right now.

Anyway, Japan really is not the holy-land of games, cards and merch that it was once. It was always nice to go to a shop in Japan and feel a bit of uniqueness, like the shop was really catering for their customers enjoyment above money, but it all feels a bit soul-less now. People understandably want to and have to make money more than ever just to survive, but whenever I go to card shops I just feel like I am being taken for a ride with their ridiculous prices. So now it is all about Yahoo Auctions. Fun for a while, but not very exciting or fulfilling for me. Seeing something cool and rare in a Japanese store but also at a nice price was something I liked about here, but it is less and less common these days.

There is a lot that can be written about the future of Japan, Japanese youth and what they want and what they strive for, and that probably will say something about the future of collecting and the value of things in the future. It doesn’t feel good to me. I don’t feel the majority of young Japanese people have much interest in anything outside of their social life and just trying to fit in or doing what everyone else is doing, but the Japan propaganda rolls on as always, so I am sure many from outside will still get sucked into the brand of Japan. Hopefully the current shortage is not doing too much harm, but as I said in the Fusion Arts thread, there is very little opportunity for anyone to get into the game right now.

I don’t know if any of this was on point with the topic question!

6 Likes

@pigeonsyndicate, very interesting indeed! Thanks for taking the time to provide these thoughts. I’d rather not buckle up for a price hike, so perhaps it’d be wise to pick up some items off Mercari / Yahoo before things start to shift…

1 Like

Haha, that’s what I’ve been doing. I really don’t know what will happen when it opens up. Other than that stores will likely lose most stock, at least of high value items. Maybe there’s enough stock outside of physical shops though. Not sure.

1 Like

I lurked on Twitter for a while before finally making an account. There are personal and team blogs and Twitter is very popular for collectors. Condition is still important and grading has become more commonplace. I think people see all those crazy rare cards in binders and think wow so carefree they must not be paranoid about condition but that is not the case, more that grading took much longer to catch on.

From talking to people on Twitter who are willing to put up with my Google translate responses, the Snap cards, Illustrator, play Umbreon and trophy Kang are the most coveted cards in front of numbered trophies. I don’t know anyone who collects English which is why I laugh when people talk about English prints affecting value for things like Charizard V Max HR or gold Tag Teams; Japanese collectors have zero interest in the English variant. Only if the demand was primarily Western to begin with will the price move accordingly.

Many people collect old back only similar to WOTC only collectors. Neo Destiny Shinings and No Rarity are big set card goals.

The biggest difference imo is that people who actively play the TCG have many of the best collections, of course due to winning cards themselves, which creates a different value mindset than in the West for a card won at a tournament like a numbered trainer vs an illustration or points contest.

Oh and everyone knows about Waifu tax but Eeveelutions and sometimes Gardevoir and Gengar can have big tax. For example the rainbow rare Sylveon GX is almost as expensive as the rainbow rare Charizard GX and Espeon, Umbreon GX are also very expensive. Sylveon is definitely more popular than in USA; it is pricier than Rayquaza GX, Lugia GX etc.

9 Likes

@qwachansey very interesting, thank you! Strange that Sylveon is a fan favorite over there. Never thought too much of that Pokemon.
Nice to hear that they still have such strong bonds to the cards they qin in tournaments and build their collection around it.
Also interesting (yet understandable) that they don’t care about English cards at all, hehe.

Interesting thoughts from everyone. Following :blush:

Anyone thinking there are a lot of deals in japan are gonna be dissappointed when they come haha

4 Likes

Indeed. The in-store deals disappeared about a decade ago. You can still very occasionally still find bargains on the auction or marketplace sites.

1 Like

I had been able to find vending stuff for super cheap until this week. Everything used to be 100 yen a few months back, then 200, then 300, now it’s all 600 and above for anything decent condition. Still if you search hard enough they do exist. Usually small deals though, like a $5 card for $0.30

1 Like

Deals definitely exist but it’s not like pre 2017 where there was significant market arbitrage. Hunting for deals for fun is still great but hunting for deals to save money is a lot harder specially when you take time and train/plane costs into consideration. You’d have to find a lot of .30 vending series to cover a trip to japan lol

1 Like