日本のマーケット部分 The Giant Japanese Market Thread

Thought you would appreciate this one from today. Bought two Limited Master Battle Sets from a Japanese seller yesterday. Today - “we have discovered a defect on the products and need to cancel”. Only he had already relisted them for $500 and $1,000 more respectively. Unbelievable.

6 Likes

Probably a bigger general market for mario/luigi pikachu for people who don’t go as hard as efour members. For the more sophisticated people who understand what the pearl represents it is gold. Understand both sides but some people just like to look at pikachu and mario combined lol. The boxes are also flying off the shelves…that $4900 sale makes boxes selling for $3k look like steals.

1 Like

You used the word sophisticated but the word you’re really looking for is niche.

That market is niche, no question about it.

That’s not a slur on the card or the people who like it, it’s just objectively definitive as you can see by the pricing in relation to overall copies for each card.

2 Likes

The card is niche the folks who know of and appreciate the rarity of the card are most likely sophisticated in the hobby.

1 Like

Excatly the same that happened to me. Said he discovered the item had a scratch due to some mistake they made while storing it. Ugh.

2 Likes

Don’t know if anyone here bought them but literally 3 Mario & Luigi box sets were sold in the last hour for $5k-$6k

2 Likes

yeh just seen them lol there on the move!!

1 Like

No argument there!

1 Like

Does anyone here have mario/luigi boxes sealed then in their collection? If you arent comfortable revealing that, no worries. Just interested :blush:

2 Likes

~~ card goes for crazy rate that is starting to be unattainable ~~
e4: well it’s not like it’s that great of a card anyways. true collectors wouldn’t bother. jimmies rustled in Play promos

ahaha I love it. true to e4.

I absolutely love mario/luigi pikachu as well as all of the cosplay FA pikachus. I think they have wonderful artwork and they will be in my collection for many many years! I am not sure why the sudden distaste for these cards in this thread as I truly think they are some of the best modern artwork cards in recent memory…

The thing that I think people often miss is that card’s values are often not inherently relative to one another. It is shocking at times that a PSA 9 JP Basic set Charizard from 1996 goes for nearly half the rate of Mario Pikachu from 2016(?) in PSA 10, but I think comparing the two are apples to oranges - they are only bound together in relativity by both being pokemon cards - otherwise they are entirely different cards.

Modern cards are outperforming vintage in many places, and to scoff at it is to be unable to adapt to current market conditions. Mario Pikachu isn’t doing well because “people are uninformed.” It’s doing well because it’s popular. and while rarity, condition, age are a major factor in a card’s value, popularity is the biggest wildcard multiplier in all of that.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE japanese promos like Lucky Stadium, Play promos, victory medals, etc… and collect them like crazy. But the popularity multiplier there is very low, and really affects the value.

While it is crazy to me that Mario Pikachu is going for $4k, I think there’s a very slim chance it retraces or lowers in value. at the end of the day it ultimately doesn’t matter - buy what you love, and don’t get FOMO if something else is stonking and it’s not in your collection :grin: and if you’re thinking about buying… I say buy now!!

3 Likes

E4 needs a yahoo auctions blacklist like ebay.
Here are mine

vzisj86231 - overcharges on shipping, $18 when it should be $1 (often on $20 cards, making the total $40 instead of $20)

nanaironanairo000 - overcharges on shipping, also has a listing practice of “1 bid = 1 card” when listing a lot that looks like it comes with 10 cards.

poketopok - sells empty boxes, which is somewhere hidden DEEP in the description

8 Likes

Pops are around 500 graded right now. There are way more than 500 people wanting to buy mario and luigi :wink:

I’m sure there are like 14 people who would want to buy my championship arena card even though it has a pop of 22 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

Here we go again. The old timers know what I’m going to say already lol. Hmmm. Maybe it’d be fun to see who fills in my saying first…” ? “ in ALL CAPS.

1 Like

THE COST IS ITEM + SHIPPING end caps

2 Likes

Not the quote, but you got the idea;)

2 Likes

To put current price points in perspective and to acknowledge how far the hobby has come:

Exactly one decade ago today, this price discussion on the Victory Orb took place: www.elitefourum.com/t/2003-2004-victory-orb/10174/1

4 Likes

In another decade we can look back and laugh when we thought things were currently overpriced.

Has there been any recent sales of the 2003 Victory Orb?

1 Like

Here it is: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SHIPPING CHARGE;)

2 Likes

So you would say a simple pwe which normally costs 100 yen to ship should cost 2000? Even if we cant see the shipping charge beforehand? It is a risk you take if you are buying on yahoo, but I dont think it is a bad idea to highlight the sellers pulling such actions.
I dont think the shipping price they charge go completely into shipping but a part of it which will go into their own pockets.

I would not call this list a black list since technically they dont scam but they are scummy. It can be your own choice if you are buying from them. I for one wont buy from these sellers again.

2 Likes