The Giant eBay Garbage Thread

What’s happening is that one malicious person/group is buying or hacking into eBay accounts and then making tons of fraudulent listings. Once eBay shuts down one account, another one props up. It’s definitely a hydra-like issue and super hard to solve. They trick buyers by using third party services to receive payment for cards that don’t exist in their possession. And it’s been going on for many years.

4 Likes

Oh okay, i thought that was the same seller using the same descriptions asking for payment that Ive seen a few times a few months ago.

We got an Etsy fake 1st edition blastoise with a potato camera up now.

Pokemon 1999 1st Edition Base Set Blastoise 2/102 Holo PSA 10 Gem Mint | eBay

:unamused:
The stamp is in a good spot. :melting_face:

2 Likes

Lol. If only the cert number didn’t belong to a non 1st edition shadowless Blastoise that has been sold like 5 times on PWCC. I showed this to the guy and he keeps sending me more photos and it’s even more fake looking than it looks like from his pics.

The thing is also in terrible condition;

2 Likes

What I will NEVER get is how scammers can be SO lazy, that they don’t even bother to pick a good mark. There’s only ONE, dufus. Pick an easier target…

2 Likes

SEemS LeGiT!

What I don’t understand is how the seller thinks this is a good scam. They put up cards that are expensive enough to have eBay’s “authenticity guarantee”, then when it inevitably gets shot down they still have no money and a strike against their account. Yeah, good plan.

2 Likes

Sold a card for $150.

20 minutes after the card sold I get a message from a user about it. Super generous offer, but I just had to decline.

27 Likes

Love the slight rise in blood pressure I get from this thread just before bed :relieved:

8 Likes

The amount offers I accept that go unpaid is too damn high.
Gotta do a better job at screening feedback on accounts for any purchase over $100.

Having cards go un-listed for 4 days while I wait to cancel the sale is… annoying.

Here’s a buyer to ad to your block lists:

brandkhamsou0

1 Like

You sold to a guy with that kind of feedback? :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I got a good offer and just hit accept. That’s what prompted my post saying I need to do better screening :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Im barely 3 months in the game so still making rookie mistakes

3 Likes

No shame in learning. I always check feedback received and given. Sometimes buyers have received perfect feedback but they leave awful remarks to sellers. The quality, quantity, and content of feedback that they leave can tell you a lot.

5 Likes

I love a classic counteroffer and ghost after accepting… it’s almost routine.

1 Like

I have this from time to time, I’m fairly certain they’re just hoping the seller will accidentally hit accept when reviewing the offer…

1 Like

Why not have an autodecline price? Saves you from these type of messages

10 Likes

If someone wants to out themselves as someone who thinks it’s reasonable to make offers like that, I’d rather have the notification so I can block them.

I only do it when it’s ludicrously low and I have it priced fairly, and I fully recognize that I’m probably being trigger happy with the blocklist. I guess the way I see it is someone who does that is probably never buying something from me anyway, and if they do, they’re probably more likely to be a picky/problem buyer.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Additionally if I set auto decline prices, I may be willing to accept a lower price in the future depending on the situation. it’s more restrictive and inconvenient versus declining the occasional ridiculous offer like this. But as mentioned it gives a flavour of the kinds of buyers who could spell trouble for paid purchases.

1 Like

I tend to use the conventional 50% autodecline. If someone is offering me less than 50% of my listing price, something isn’t matching up.

Buyers who make offers for cards, then don’t pay for 4 days can burn in hell, as far as I’m concerned

9 Likes