The Giant Art Thread

Epicness by https://autobottesla.tumblr.com/

4 Likes

An observation:

I’m working on a collection of my favorite artists and their work chronologically over the eras, and I’m finding that there are times when Komiya, Arita, Kusube, Kusajima did very little that impresses, OR did very little at all. These sets, (2011-2013) including BnW, Emerging Powers, Plasma Blast, etc also correspond to periods in the TCG where few sets were released per year, and what most consider to be the lull for the hobby and overall quality. It’s interesting to see it manifested in the art and illustration of these staples as well.

1 Like

Guys!!!???

12 Likes

Out of all of Kusube’s art, this one takes the cake for me.

21 Likes

very good card taste!

1 Like

Marill is so cute :heart_eyes_cat: :ocean: :droplet: :mouse: .

s-l500-2

16 Likes

Oliver Hamlin :heart:

18 Likes

Where is Regice getting those ice cubes from O_o

3 Likes

Sick carving made by Friggin Boom Toys on Youtube.

13 Likes

DOPE was either used or made with this work!

1 Like

He’s done a bunch of them on commission as well. Kimura Umbreon, Base Zard, Blaine’s Arcanine and much more, they’re all as insane as this. :fire:

1 Like

These two go hand-in-hand for me
There was smth about seeing cards that showed pokemon in environments similar to ones id seen in real life when i was a kid. It made me feel like maybe somewhere, this could actually be real. Never saw this one as a kid, but seeing it as an adult gave me that same mystical feeling ! Kizuki’s Koffing from Rocket was one that rly made my imagination turn as a kid too lol

9 Likes

What I always liked about that Abra is the little city skyline in the background. Clean geometric shapes are unusual for Kusube, but more so, it’s an interesting inclusion, giving the scene and environment more texture, instead of just having abra in the forest or meadow somewhere.

Kinda similar to this recent Komiya card, which I think gets undeserved hate:

5 Likes

I agree, gives a little more context to the scene! I personally enjoy Komiya’s art, i cant respect anyone hating on art! Granted, i wasnt a huge fan of the slowking sa :confused:

1 Like

well, TBF, I don’t mean “Hating-on it” but just not liking it for one or two things when the scene as a whole may have great little details, and interesting elements.

1 Like

It’s such a beautiful card, I love that you shared the sentimentality that the artwork holds for you. The contrast of the cityscape in the background and the Abra in the foreground is really special. It is a deeply nostalgic card for me as well.

1 Like

One of the things I look most forward to with each new set is seeing new Komiya artwork.

3 Likes

Team Zap Cannon :zap: :military_helmet:

8 Likes

This Lance’s Dragonite it’s gorgeous, If this were a card it would probably be among the most expensive ones from the set

9 Likes

Something about this seems familiar…

13 Likes