The Future Value of the Diamond and Pearl Series Block

Hi EFour,

I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on the potential future value of the Diamond and Pearl block of sets, beginning with Diamond and Pearl Base in 2007 and ending with Stormfront in November of 2008. The block is 10 years old now and hasn’t exactly appreciated in value.

If we use PSA grading as a standard of desirability, as of this post, there are roughly 1300 cards graded from EX Power Keepers, the final set in the ex series block. From the Diamond and Pearl base set, the set directly following PK, there have been a whopping 84 cards graded. 84. 6.5% of the population of the prior set. On that note, the total populations of the remaining D&P Series sets are as follows:

Mysterious Treasures – 142

Secret Wonders – 205

Great Encounters – 49

Majestic Dawn – 110

Legends Awakened – 122

Stormfront – 330

In my opinion these figures make sense, because Stormfront and Secret Wonders are the two sets with Charizards. But back to the topic at hand, these populations are still significantly smaller than their predecessor sets. Now to analyze some factors that could be contributing to the weak market: Lack of a chase card: The old school EXs are badass; fact. Stronger attacks, more HP, and you give up two prize cards when they get knocked out. Sweet! Lv. Xs, well, they pale in comparison. No kid was excited evolving his Empoleon into Empoleon Lv.x for 10 more HP and and an attack that did only 10 more damage (potentially 10 less on a coin flip). Gold stars single handedly brought a lot of people into the hobby and are one of the stronger categories of cards as far as growth in value. In the Diamond and Pearl block nothing replaced them.

An unfortunate series of events: The housing market crashed in 2007. Money got tight. Non-essential spending decreased. It’s likely this era was less influential/nostalgic because the generation that would have got these cards didn’t get them or didn’t get as many, leaving less of an impact.
It’s too early: Perhaps it’s not fair to compare D&P to old school ex, which has performed exceedingly well, better than a lot of WOTC product has. A 10-year-old kid in 2007 just turned 20, (fun fact, that kid is me) and might just now be acquiring a source of disposable income to get back into collecting the cards they had when they were younger.

I’m sure there are some things I overlooked, but that’s why I want to have this discussion. Now let’s look at the positives of the D&P block:

The holos: I know a case can be made for a lot of sets and this is largely opinion-based but hot damn. Have you seen the Majestic Dawn holos? Gorgeous. If Palkia and Dialga were slightly off color and extended ¼” beyond the border, you would be paying $300 each for PSA 10s. Just saying.

The “chase cards”: If you can call them that… Are hard to get. We’re talking 1 per box in most sets, 2 if you are lucky. I have seen boxes have 0. As far as Lv. X art, there’s nothing to complain about. They have a shiny border and the art extends outside of the designated box like gold stars.

Print quality: Mediocre. Not so terrible to be discouraging, but bad enough to make high grades elusive.

4th gen remake: Those who follow the video game will know there have been rumblings about a potential fourth generation remake for the 3DS. This could potentially put these sets in prime position for growth as D&P hit the spotlight again.

I’m sorry if this was dry but I tried to be thorough and informative. At least I spiced it up with some jokes, right?

Let me know if you think the Diamond & Pearl block will rise in value or if you think it has already peaked, or any other thoughts pertaining to these sets. I’m interested to hear what the community has to say.

Kyle

7 Likes

Good detailed thread babe.
My recommendation is, if you’re buying as an investment, go older;)

2 Likes

I love these informative threads with thorough research done. It’s funny you brought this up now because I have been looking into the D&P series more this past week and was wondering why there is so little graded cards for them and not a very high value in them. I personally think the Lv. X’s in these sets are amazing with some great art work, and like you said their art extends outside their boxes like gold stars and the shiny silver borders are incredibly appealing. Not to mention some very low pop and desirable cards (Mewtwo Lv. X PSA 10 pop 1). I think i’m actually going to start hunting for mint Lv. X’s and try and raise the pop reports on some of these myself. Not to mention they do look very nice in the PSA cases lol

1 Like

I personally don’t have too much appeal for the D&P sets. I think that the artwork for HGSS cards is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued compared to D&P.

I don’t know if this is a minority opinion, but in my opinion I see the potential value of the HGSS cards (this mainly goes for the Legend cards but yes, this includes the primes except for the ones that were released in boxes as well like Yanmega) surpassing most of Lv.X cards, and they are a younger set compared to D&P. Perhaps Glaceon Lv.X and Leafeon Lv.X and Charizard Lv.X and a few more could potentially rise in value, but for the most part I also don’t think that the types of Pokemon to represent Lv.Xs were well chosen. Same can be said for most of the later EX series EX cards (I’d say the best EXs came out of TATM - Unseen Forces – those ones imo are good performers for future value).

The shinies from that era may or may not be good cards to hold imo… I’m still not sure how I feel about them being simply reverse holo, lol. Charizard SR is obvs. good to hold, but can’t say the same about the rest. Time and Space Distortion could also be a potential hold just because it’s a unique Trainer card.

All in all, D&P wasn’t as strong of an era artwork wise imo compared to HGSS/EX series/etc., which makes me think that they’ll probably be the lasts sets to rise in value.

I could be wrong though… maybe I’ll develop a greater appreciation for D&P down the road and maybe the Gen 4 legendaries were super kewl for the youngins who have still yet to grow up (EX series + HGSS 4 lyfe :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

I think this is the main reason why the DPt sets have not appreciated. While we don’t have a ton of data yet, evidence suggests big price booms happen when people who were kids acquire some disposable income and start to make purchases of items they always wanted as kids but never got. I’m 20 as well and when I was collecting as a kid it was right in the 2006-2007 time frame when DP was coming out in the TCG. The majority of cards being traded and collected then was still the EX Series, so I didn’t have too much of an attachment to DP era cards and as such collect EX era stuff and not DP (for now :wink: ).

I think DPt era cards will appreciate similarly to EX and WOTC era cards. Probably not as much as WOTC, and not as much as EX era stuff, but it will still appreciate in the future. While DP doesn’t have gold stars or anything similar to that, Lv. X cards are still very nice ultra rares and their low pull rates make them very special. There’s the reprint Charizard line in Stormfront and some great chase cards thrown in there as well (Charizard Lv. X, Rayquaza C Lv. X, Garchomp Lv. X). Secret Wonders is an amazing set and those holos will really jump in the future.

Don’t sleep on Gen 4.

1 Like

Almighty Gary, I don’t disagree. I am biased by my history with these cards and want to collect what I love. However, a little monetary validation wouldn’t hurt either.

My goal isn’t to own 20% of the market in Secret Wonders Charizards, just to analyze trends as to why we haven’t seen an explosion of growth with this era.

There’s still a lot of room to grow for older eras.

I suspect DP may become a little more popular as older cards become less obtainable.

1 Like

As long as Stormfront and Secret Wonders, Majestic Dawn is additionally quite a popular set , due to the first appearances of glaceon and leafeon I believe. Ive slowly been collecting the blister packs of this set, and yes they dont appear often on the market.

1 Like

I think DP(DPt) is worth it.
For myself (turning 31 end of the month) Diamond/Pearl was the era I got back to Pokémon. My nephew (18 now) he started Pokemon in this era. So, for the youngsters (born between '97 and '02) DP is their RBY/Base Set. Their nostalgia if they ever get back into Pokemon.

DP has amazing sets like Secret Wonders, Stormfront, Supreme Victors. Many of the DPt sets cary iconic Pokemon (Zard, Quasa, Bird-Trio, Eeveelutions) which always keep appeal.

1 Like

All the cards which look good are the regular rares.

the Legend cards are… awkward I guess.

the primes and LV. Xs can’t really eclipse the ex series ex pokemon