Why are the Diamond & Pearl Holos so cheap?

Hi guys, first post on this site :blush:

So my question is why the holographic cards from Diamond & Pearl (2007-2010) are so cheap. (Mostly 2-3 dollars)
I am not complaining, actually I am happy to complete my Holo collection for little money.
But shouldnt they be worth more? Considering a box costs around 400 dollars and the ultra rares (Lvl X) are not very expensive either, I feel like the gap from the values of the crads in a box compared to the Box-price is too wide. Do you think the prices will increase in the future or isnt there enough demand?

Greetings from germany

1 Like

Hasnā€™t reached that era yet IMO. Some of those holos are so unique and awesome. Just like the SH subsets, I donā€™t think the demand or hype is there yet. Give it some time, I think they will go up for sure.

The issue with this is though, will the demand actually be there to meet the supply? There are probably people hoarding NM/M copies of those SH subset cards and Lvl.X cards. Sure it could, but noone knows.

Maybe, anything is possible. I think we are still in the EX era in terms of popularity, and my assumption is it will shift eventually to D&P & HGSS. There are some insanely good looking holos and lv.x cards from those sets. I LOVE the Lv.x cards, they look fantastic and I donā€™t think I am alone in many of these feelings.

3 Likes

This

i could not agree with this more if you paid me :grin:

Iā€™ve wondered this also, I have a massive amount of lvl x holos/ Primes that Iā€™ve wanted to grade.

The Diamond and Pearl Secret Wonders Charizard is like $400 and the Diamond and Pearl Stormfront Charizard is shy of $600 If your box just has one of those, it pays for itself and people like to gamble.

1 Like

Secret wonders is 400usd? I Genuinely thought it was one of the few zards that was not worth much.

1 Like

www.psacard.com/cert/28308106

Itā€™s another card with very little sales data. Last one sold in May for $375 with no more being available for purchase since the pop is very low (24).

Unless you can convince cardhouse to let his goes below his $500 BIN, you arenā€™t getting the card any time soon. This is kinda like what I was talking about with the reverse power keepers card. None are available for sale/ you canā€™t hunt them down so while the data for prices last sold points low, the next sale will likely be a good bit higher due to a lack of availability.

The last sale for the card was for like 300 and the one before that was 280 so quite a bit lower than 400.

Most holos can be viewed as cheap tbh. EX Series holos in general are typically 30-60 dollars in psa 10, Fossil/Base2/Jungle are pretty ā€œcheapā€ compared to the boosters as well. There are a couple reasons you could point to imo

Diamond and Pearl doesnā€™t have the level of nostalgia of other eras. Kids of the era havenā€™t grown up yet to pay for the era. The only nostalgia I have really heard for the era is from players of the era, who enjoyed the formats of the era - but the player base of the era was pretty small. Low levels of nostalgia + a couple other eras of comparatively currently cheap cards to collect from means why collect from Diamond and Pearl when there are other currently cheap but older sets available? Plus product is still more available for DP sets

Where are you getting this info. Are these private sales? I linked the last sale I could find in my previous post as it appeared on the PSA website. Outside of that I only know of Pierces website, PokemonPrice, where the last tracked sale was a ā€œbest offerā€. In that sale, interstatesalesllc let it go for 375. Now there are none available. If you know where I can get them for 280 or 300, please let me know. I will buy another right now. Thanks.

www.psacard.com/cert/28308106

pokemonprice.com/CardDetails/51636d4b-35d4-40c8-8514-e7b183205d28/charizard-holo

EBay sold listings mate.

1 Like

I see it! 332.57 all in. A real bummer I never saw this! @pierce must have never sucked in new data these past few weeks for it to have not shown up on the price tracker.

If anyone else sees one for this price please let me know. Iā€™d buy at 300 all day.

I think that sometimes pokemonprice doesnt pick listings up for some reason, ive noticed a few auctions missing. I would combine ebay sold listings with that and that should give you the full picture.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that if the pop stays low, it will jump OVER 400. If the pop explodes with a stack of 10s from a cardrush, it drops to 300. I dont see it selling below 300 any more. In any case, my statement about Diamond and Pearl still stands, there are some cards worthy of making a box ~ $400 depending on the box. Some people love to gamble. Others like to sit on sealed. I donā€™t think Diamond & Pearl is a full on dud.

Pwcc and Sortsof.com also has sold listings with best offer prices/etc. listed as well which is also a good resource

Primes and Lvl Xs have not risen much in value for multiple reasons.

For Primes, the pull odds were about one in 6-7 packs, which make them fairly common compared to other ā€œUltra Rareā€ type of card variants. They might see an increase in price in the future due to their unique art style and the difficulty to grade them, but right now there isnt a high demand for them.

Lvl. Xs had a much lower pull rate (1/36 packs for early DP, 1/18 for late DP), but they have not risen in value because they were fairly unpopular. People adored old school exā€™s, and when Lvl Xs replaced them, many people held a grudge against them. They also might rise in the future, but it will be well after the old school exā€™s have their moment in the spotlight, which is only beginning to happen.

If you disagree with anything I said, feel free to reply

1 Like

Iā€™ve sold both the Secret Wonders Charizard and the Stormfront Charizard in PSA 10 this year. I got $350 for my Secret Wonders copy with beautiful holo bleeding back in January, and $450 for my Stormfront Zard in March. I didnā€™t push for more on that copy because I personally thought it was a weaker 10 and it didnā€™t feel right trying to get above $500.

With that said I think there is some opportunity for growth, but not what we see in EX Series. Boxes are already very expensive for containing cards that are so cheap. I still think value wise going forward the wisest investments are Stormfront > Secret Wonders > Majestic Dawn > Legends Awakened. The rest of the sets will struggle to have multiple cards push over the $100 mark

1 Like