Starting a pokemon collecting/investing youtube channel

Thank you for the most recent video. It goes over exactly what I and a few others have been posting about but we are always told it cannot exist, and that everything in pokemon is 100% organic and couldnt possibly act like every other collectible in history :blush:

2 Likes

THIS! I was just about to write a comment saying the same thing. Iā€™ve been seeing so many people simply accept that these are the prices now with no further thought has been irritating me for a while. It is really nice to see that more seasoned collectors are skeptical about the price spikes as well.
@jacobm9, I have been really appreciating your videos about the current market. You make a lot of really excellent points that I had not thought about yet.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t missed an episode yet and itā€™s fun to see you guys grow as your channel progresses. Iā€™m impressed with your commitment to creating regular content, great work!

2 Likes

Glad you guys are enjoying the channel! I am doing my best to be transparent and give my honest opinions to the community. It should go without saying but the reality is that nobody knows exactly what is going on with the market right now and how it is going to settle, but I am certainly doing my best to present the arguments on all sides of the issue, call things out that seem blatantly misleading or very likely false and foster genuine conversations with other experienced community members to help and or provide enjoyable content to new and more seasoned collectors alike.

My goal is simply to inspire people to think critically and share their opinions honestly without fear of being attacked for how they choose to invest or collect. Emotions are high at the moment and lots of money is on the line but at the end of the day this hobby should be fun! And trying to predict where prices are going can be fun! I just want people to treat each other well, make thoughtful decisions with their money so they do not get blatantly manipulated and or scammed and help the pokemon card community to grow as large as it possibly can.

8 Likes

I love you and raffis channel man! Iā€™ve been loving the extra content this last week or so. You always have great things to say and are very respectful of what others think

1 Like

Interview with the one and only David Persin for those who are interested and donā€™t know he has the most complete English card collection in the world.

5 Likes

You should take the audio from the interviews and some of your discussion videos and turn them into podcasts for Spotify. That way I can download them and listen while Iā€™m driving haha.

Been enjoying the content, thanks!

1 Like

I havenā€™t plugged one of my videos in a while so I will post this one as I think it is a good overview for those of you who are interested in making money from buying and selling modern. I am sure we have some newer collector investor types here who could gain some value from it. I myself have used all of these methods to have fun and or make some extra money to build towards my longer term collecting goals and investment positions.

Sorry for posting another this week I wonā€™t post again for a while, but I think a lot of people will likely enjoy this interview.

5 Likes

So cool to see the Championship Arena mentioned. I attained one serendipitously ā€“ I had no clue the card existed until I was pricing out cards I got from a collection I bought on eBay. Prior to looking it up, I assumed it was just some random $2 Nintendo Black Star promo. Charlieā€™s article was the first resource I found, and was incredibly helpful in explaining not just the history of the card, but also why itā€™s acool and interesting card. Honestly, without reading that article I wouldā€™ve already sold it, since I generally only collect set cards.

Anyway, thatā€™s a tangent, but I just wanted to say that this was a great interview, and you and Raffi are valuable assets to this community. Itā€™s important that we have reasonable, articulate people making videos discussing the Pokemon market, rather than just people looking to hype up modern set cards to make a quick buck. Definitely have more guests like Charlie ā€“ itā€™s very interesting to hear the perspectives of people who have built up such impressively complete collections. A recommendation for a potential future guest, although Iā€™m sure youā€™ve already considered him, is Dave Persin.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

We actually did an interview with him about a month ago, if you would like to check it out it is up on our channel. @zorloth,

1 Like

Was nice doing an interview with Mr. Pokenomics! I think it turned out pretty well!

www.pokeguardian.com/497566_teaching-the-masses-pokemon-collecting-and-investing-made-easy-with-jake-and-raffi

1 Like

Nice interview. It made for a good read! I enjoy hearing about mistakes made when first getting back into collecting. Those always make good stories/videos. @jacobm9 @primallugia I enjoy both of your channels. Also congratulations Jacob on getting so many subscribers that quick!

My little channel is getting a slow start but I also havnt expanded past collection videos. I also havnt invested in a great set up or anything yet. I keep valueing cards over a new camera or phone :joy: Keep up the good work guys!

2 Likes

@jacobm9, I just watched your most recent video regarding the pack opening/selling channels on YouTube and thought it was great. Really solid insight into what people could be thinking and the reasoning as to why they contribute to these channels.

Iā€™m glad you did this video because as someone back into collecting after a long time away, I was curious about the fascination with these channels and was shocked at how profitable they seem to be. People seem to be throwing money at these people to open their packs on YouTube and I could not understand why. Thanks for making sense of this for me.

Do you think this is one of the only truly legit ways to get an unweighted pack? In your opinion, do you think these channels have a finite time to shine before vintage boxes become even more scarce?

4 Likes

Glad you liked it! Definitely opening vintage packs wonā€™t last forever:) But opening modern could go on as long as people are interested. I think the majority of these channels are legit and you are getting real unweighed packs. Definitely not for everyone and certainly not a good way to make money over time, but many people love them right now.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you guys are handling this type of content in a responsible way. Breath of fresh air for someone to actually air realistic expectations.

2 Likes

Awesome channel Jake and Raffi! As someone who just got back in PokƩmon collecting in March I really appreciate hearing your perspective with the current market. There are definitely not enough content creators who speak as honestly as you. Really appreciate the balance you bring to all of this hype.

1 Like

I really like your channel.

Love the normal talk about pokemon and not just about investing and which product has most value.

Always happy when theres a new video, keep it up!