Starting a pokemon collecting/investing youtube channel

That is all great advice! I am going to be moving at the end of the month and plan on building a little make shift home studio.

1 Like

Outstanding stuff! Really enjoying what I am seeing thus far!

Here is my latest video where I give my opinion on what I think are some of the most overrated card values in the hobby. I thought people here might enjoy it. Disclaimer: I probably overdid it on the negativity a bit with the last one as I do think over time it will be a good investment, but just not at its current price compared to other options I mention in the video.
Hope you guys enjoy.

5 Likes

Hey, you must be doing something right because before seeing this thread the YouTube algorithm recommended your “5 Common Mistakes in Pokemon Card Collecting/Investing” video. Good watch so far.

1 Like

I like the content great info looking forward to the Japanese promo cards/trophy cards discussions

1 Like

Good channel. Subscribed early on and enjoy the vids. Highly recommended guys!

1 Like

@jacobm9, great content, please keep up the good work!

100% agree with many of your points in the investing strategy video, here are some lessons I learned from investing in the financial market:

1. No one can consistently time the market. It’s ok if you do it for the fun of it and realizes it’s a gamble, but don’t think the “extra secret info” you have gives you an advantage over others.

2. Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful – Warren Buffet

As an example, I know a couple of friends thought the Pokemon market will crash like MTG in early March and sold their sealed boxes collection at a discount back then. Jungle 1st ed was sold for $4k and Neo Genesis 1st ed for $7k. They probably still have a very good return since they entered the market early. But the point is, you never know what will happen next. If you truly like/believe in an item, invest in the long term and don’t follow the fear/hype.

Warren Buffet is one of my financial idols so I appreciate the quote! I have gone to the Berkshire Hathaway yearly meeting in Omaha Nebraska to hear him speak twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The two points you make are probably the two most critical things to understand how to be a successful investor, rather than a day trader/flipper. True investors look for high quality items that they understand and hope to hold for the foreseeable future.

I was lucky that my father is a financial advisor and so I grew up around this sort of stuff and have been investing and paying attention to the stock market since I was 14.

1 Like

Our latest video is an interview with the wonderful Rusty from TCA Gaming who many of you probably know. Here is the link if anybody wants to check it out: (2) The life of a full-time Pokemon Card seller - interview with TCA Gaming - YouTube

We have more wonderful interview videos coming with people in this great community so stay tuned!

In the video Rusty talks about:
How he got interested in pokemon cards
What it is like to be a full time pokemon card seller
His opinions on the current pokemon market and where he thinks it will go in the future
And what he believes is currently overrated and underrated in the market

5 Likes

Interesting interview and good questions. A bit of an unsolicited suggestion, but I’d suggest engaging the interviewee a bit more with their response rather than saying “Yeah, yeah, absolutely” and then moving on to the next question. For example, when I hear TCA casually drop that he’s going to spend 70k on a black lotus, (imo) it’d be interesting to hear where that interest came about - was MTG also something he played/collected as a kid, or did the interest in high-end MTG develop more recently? Then again when he said he had thrown out a few offers of 100k+ for some collections - I think it’d be really interesting to hear what kinds of things he was chasing there - big PSA 10 sets, sealed, trophy, etc.? Of course, that makes for a much longer interview, so if the 30 min time constraint was there then I understand why you moved onto the questions without much probing. The questions themselves were good though and did cover a nice variety of aspects.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for taking the time to watch it! I would also love to hear him talk more about all those subjects but we were trying to keep it to a tight schedule for all of us lol as we have our full time jobs also. Hopefully next time we can do more follow up questions.

Great videos, subbed last week and have been binging since haha

2 Likes

jacobm9, been loving the videos! Thanks for the information as it’s been very helpful!

2 Likes

Anyone that is new to investing should watch this channel. I disagree with some stuff but 95% of the time hes on point.

3 Likes

Here is our latest interview with efour’s own wonderful Gary. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyOFzgc_Io

6 Likes

Great episode from both sides of the interview :blush:

1 Like

Amazing work! REALLYYYY enjoying the content y’all are putting out.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching those! Great videos!

1 Like

These are a ton of fun, definitely enjoying the conversational/two-person dynamic of the videos. I think most Pokevideos are primarily one person so the two-person dynamic is something new and enjoyable for me.

1 Like

That Gary is one handsome dude and smart as a whip👀

8 Likes