Staff Prerelease Evolutions Worthiness?

I’m looking at purchasing outright either a duo of both a Staff Prerelease Mewtwo which has been *supposedly* moved to a hard case immediately after opening along with photos of the front (without the back). In addition to this a sealed normal prerelease Mewtwo is included alongside the card. I’m weighing up whether this or a PSA 10 Unlimited Venusaur is more worthwhile purchasing. The Mewtwo set is going for around 150 USD and the Venusaur is about 180 USD. I’m just looking to bounce off opinions between people. Preferably people who are seasoned in the market but I look to hear out all thoughts.

Initial PSA 10 mentioned (Looks to have centring issues in top right, that is, it’s closer to border):

The alternative PSA 10 I was looking at (quality of photo far from desirable):

The Staff Prerelease Mewtwo:

Those Staff cards are a difficult grade if you were thinking going that route with it. The way they were packaged in the pre-release boxes lead to most of them bouncing around a bit, not to mention centering issues both front and back.

That being said it’s a tough comparison. The Mewtwo will be more scarce by far than an unlimited Venusaur. But the Venusaur has more collectible demand currently and likely far into the future…

Buying a card notorious for having issues sight unseen vs a base set unlimited verified by PSA to be in GEM MINT 10 condition, just on those facts alone I would opt for the Venusaur. If you were able to get some high quality photos/scans of the mewtwo it may be more of a decision, but even then I think you just can’t go wrong with base set back where it all started. That is a tough set for 10’s and will always be on just about anyone’s wants list.

Thank you both for the replies! You’re correct in assuming I was planning on grading the cards I bought (if Mewtwo). I figured it would help to link the listing so you could see the images supplied with the post which I’ve done below. I could also go for a PSA 10 Team Rocket Scyther for 150 USD but I imagine the Venusaur would still hold more weight for its collectable value.

Staff listing:
www.ebay.com/itm/Staff-promo-mewtwo-and-promo-mewtwo-evolutions/172569110960?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D42406%26meid%3D410bc1372dec423bbd2dda3151779ecb%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D332095111681

Like they said, Those promos are hard to grade.

And with the Venusaur already being graded, I’d go for that.
I think it’s more collectible too.

EDIT:
I really think buying already graded cards is the safest thing. But if you can get a possibly mint card for significantly cheaper than the actual graded card and you’re really willing to risk it, then go for it.
But in this case, I’d stick with the Venusaur.

(I had to edit this because I never finished what I was saying! LOL >Sidetracked<)

1 Like

Yeah, they are quite difficult. I know it’s PSA 10 but upon closer inspection I feel that the PSA 10 Venusaur is slightly off centred. I’m editing my initial post to include images of the Venusaur as well as another PSA 10 I found and it would be appreciated if people could state if they can distinguish if there is a centring issue on the initial one I was looking at.

The first PSA 10 Venusaur is a little off but I would say it’s in the specs of what they allow it to be. I would buy the 2nd Venusaur tho because the little off center would bug me. haha

I don’t even know that much about staff promos or WOTC holos, but the venusaur is a very safe play imo
I wouldn’t even consider the mewtwo promos without high resolution scans/pictures of the backs if you are grading, because anything below 9 on at least one doesn’t seem worth it

hands down base set 10s with shadowless 1st edition psa 10s and 9s too expensive for most people and shadowless not alot of 10s around hands down base set unlimited 10s will increase in value very soon zard its already happening with and blastoise alittle the others will soon follow

You know exactly what your getting with the venusaur. That and it being gem mint and one of the big 3 means the value will only rise. The mewtwo would be a good investment if you were to score a nice grade by PSA. I think the staff cards will always be in high demand, everyone wants the cards that are hard to get and limited, that and who doesn’t like base set or reprints from base set??? Safest bet would be the venusaur but that is a tough decision.

The safest investment will be the venusaur, I haven’t looked closely at the mewtwo staff card but if its centered and looks mint on front and back it could be the first gem mint which would probably make it “worth” more than the venusaur right now or it could be a nm-mint 8 or mint 9 and be worth less than the venusaur most likely in the long run. It sounds like you want both save up for one or both and try and get both.