Square Cut Cards

Hi All,

Was digging through some old wotc bulk that i had in storage that i brought in maybe 2006-2007 and i discovered some square cut cards from base and fossil. Just wondering if there is a market for them as i have no idea where to start with them. Like i said i brought them roughly 15 years ago so i cant remember the origins but i understand that alot of square cuts are cut straight from a sheet but not even sure how to verify.
Heres a couple of images
imgur.com/a/lyAbcWM

Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob and welcome here.
Those are legit. Their origin would be unknown since many of those sheets got cut up. Kinda niche but character collectors would like them:)

2 Likes

Thanks @garyis2000 , yeah i thought it would be a very niche market but was not sure if anyone at all cared about them they just stood out when i was sorting. Thanks for the input

A while ago someone posted on here about a set of BGS holo square cut Base cards that sold on Ebay for over $5,000. This was like a year ago. Not sure about the market for common and uncommon square cut cards.

For sure an interesting market around them. You can find many on here! :blush:

@garyis2000, any tip to differentiate factory cuts from hand cuts besides the perfection of the cut? Cos I guess they can still use a machine to cut them from the sheet.

I’d be interested in the vulpix :blush:

Curving is a major tell-tale. Though not unheard of because of how holos back in that era are susceptible to curving, usually hand-cut shows signs of curving that go along the cut. Factory-cut reduces this and usually what you’ll see is a “straight” cut versus a “side” cut on the grain of the edges. However, with modern equipment, even factory-cut fakes are able to be produced so it’s difficult to say.

1 Like

Good info by Azulryu above. I’d only add that my square cuts, including those below, all came from WOTC as card replacements. They are cut beautifully and unlike 95% of the aftermarket cuts, they achieved no 9 subgrades. All gem mints.
All that said, since there’s no definitive way for you to be sure, simply assume they’re aftermarket cuts.

3 Likes

@garyis2000
What’s your opinion with following listing? I don’t remember seeing too many square cuts ( besides yours ) which have so strong subgrades.
www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-Pokemon-Blastoise-Holo-SQUARE-CUT-ERROR-2-102-WOTC-Rarely-Ever-Seen-L-K/202868781472?hash=item2f3bebf1a0:g:sKkAAOSwbbJb-v1U

I did see that and checked to see if I graded it back then. I hadn’t. Nice card though and may be fac cut

1 Like

@garyis2000, will recall I had him check my complete base set square cut holo set last summer. It was not factory cut, but still sold for 2,500 as a set. They were around Near Mint condition. That was a great sale too because it allowed me to make some incredible investments and buys that are still paying off now. They are absolutely niche, but still sought out by collectors, so very cool to see.

1 Like

Absolutely recall. That was great.

Those square cuts that @garyis2000 shared above are gorgeous!

1 Like