Square cut cards

I ran into something interesting today. I purchased two square cut cards from a magic collector along with a handful of first edition and shadowless cards that he had in a old binder.

From my understanding there is no way to prove these are factory square cards, or if someone cut them from a sheet, correct? They are exactly the same size as a normal card, I measured each with a set of calipers as soon as I got home…the Nidoking is pretty off center. I am no way claiming them to be “real” but overall I’m stumped, They look pretty damn good but what are the odds of someone having two that are in fact legit? which leaves me on the fence

Should I submit these to beckett, or will that still leave me with no real for sure awnser? From what I understand PSA does not touch square cut cards, probably for this reason.

Thanks for any info.

1 Like

Wow these are really cool @thundermoo
great find! I would try my luck in submitting them to beckett.
PS what sort of cars are you into? im a big car nut too :blush: DM me :blush:

Take a chance, but BGS has also denied square cuts that have came straight from packs.

To some people it’s wasting money, since they can’t ever be 100% authenticated but to error collectors it brings a premium.

1 Like

Many square cuts, especially the hitmonchans/ ninetales and the fossil pokemons i see on the market all are mostly likely hand cut of the sheet.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s fairly obvious when I see people have several of the theme deck holos. I’m assuming they were printed on separate sheets.

OP, I really don’t know what advice to give you. Your cards are worth maybe $50 each as is. You have 0 provenance. BGS may or may not grade them… and I’m not sure what kind of premium you’d be looking at if they did.
If the size of the cards is spot on, you have a shot so it’s entirely up to you if you want to take that gamble.

1 Like

I’m not looking to sell them, I just thought the grading route would be best to prove some sort of authenticity. I paid $15 each so they are worth the gamble to me. I enjoy the cards, the story of finding them and the rabbit hole of research I’ve gone down so far was worth the price of admission haha

If I do go down the BGS route I’ll update this post with the results.

I had a few dozen (and still have several BGS 9.5s with no 9 subs) that came to me direct from Wizards as damaged card replacements. But honestly it doesn’t matter cause there’s no way to prove it and some of the aftermarket sheet cut ones look pretty good.

Here’s some I have at the house:

12 Likes

The infamous tan blanket

5 Likes

I guess that helps verify that they’re really mine lol.
Scott slept with it one night so I should cut them up into swatches and sell them “Founder Worn” lol.

6 Likes

Thanks for reminding me, these are interesting. Someone sold me a Pokemon card that was part of collection. One side was square and the other rounded and I dont know how I really caught that. Any thoughts?

When I get home, I will take a picture but I found it odd. Taking if from the replies, these are somewhat common?

Was it a Mewtwo? Or what?

Years ago I bought many of the square cut cards. They were a few floating around Ebay back in 2000. I’ve got all 15 base foils except Machamp. I’ve also got a square cut French 1st edition Charizard.

Good timing on this post. My brother has been going through his girlfriends old Pokemon cards and sending me pictures to see what’s rare/valuable/junk.

He sent me this one today:

External Media
He confirmed they are all indeed holos, although you can’t really tell from the pic.

I had said the Magneton was probably hand cut, but you would think they would do a better job to not leave crop marks in. Maybe a legit error?